+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 5 year old early waking

DD has always been an early riser.

She is awake most mornings at 4.30/5. Never later than 5.

For the past week we have been trying a later bed time- 7.30, two nights she went to bed at 8pm (before she was going down at 6.30 which we bought was contributing to the early wake up)

Every day she has woke at 4.30/5

She also wakes through the night but will go back down

By school pick up each day she is exhausted. We have her enrolled in swimming and in a gymnastics after school. These activities start at 4pm which I don't think is unreasonable and are things she enjoys at weekends. When she's not tired.

But she cries and makes such a fuss. So even though I've paid for the term and I don't think I'm going to be able to get a refund I think I'm going to have to pull her out. They don't have weekend classes available.

I'm so frustrated. She is just so tired and I don't know how to get her to sleep for longer in the mornings.

It's dark until around 7am and cold where we live and there is no noise in the house.

Any ideas on how to encourage her to sleep longer? I'm reluctant to try an 8.30 bedtime because I feel like surely that's too late for a 5 year old who wakes up so early?!

Has anyone tried a glo clock for this age?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry I don't have direct experience but you did mention it's cold. 4-5am is generally the coldest part of the night so any chance she is waking up from being cold? Or is she waking up hungry?
    Hopefully someone has a magic cure to help you

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've read that sometimes an earlier rather than later bedtime can encourage a later wake up - might be worth a try?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter is the same. Always wakes really early. She also tosses and turns all night so wakes up exhausted. We don't use a groclock anymore as she can tell the time on a digital clock, but we definitely enforce a 6am out of bed time. So if she wakes earlier than that (Every morning!) then she had to wait in bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 5 yr old is an early riser. We use a digital clock and it has to say 6 for him to be allowed out of his room .
    He is in bed around 7, asleep by 7:30 usually, although he can be quite resistant at times. He gets very tired and it affects behavior of course. I brought his bedtime forward a bit when he started school.

I would get tough with her and not allow her to come out of her room before a certain time. She might not sleep initially but at least you might!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 5 year old early waking

My 6 year old son went through a stage of early wake ups (4.30am onwards)... We got him a digital clock and a picture of a child waking up with a clock that said 8.00, we explained that he must stay in his bed till his clock said 8.00.
    It didn't take long for him to begin falling back to sleep till 7amish and then eventually stop waking earlier altogether.

He now generally sleeps 8.30pm (in bed by 7.30pm) till 7.30-8am.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sometimes early waking can be due to being over tired. I would suggest an earlier night, rather than a earlier night. Maybe just try a 6pm bedtime for one night.
    I also suggest, making sure they are warm and a clock is a good idea too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would get a woolen underlay (not sure what heating you have)..

Warmer sheets etc. clock ideas are great.
    Have u worked with a sleep consultant before? Some work with paedtricians and often do behaviour help too.

We are firm bed time is 6:30-7pm. Stay in bedroom until 7am. This might change when school arrives of course. Ds took a whole heap of cutting back on feeds blah blah.

I also let the dog sleep in the kids room so they feel safe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    To adjust to a new sleep routine, you have to allow her a good 2 weeks. I agree about an earlier bed time as well and making sure she isn't cold when she wakes as others have suggested.

Good luck. It's tough, but I think the best time to tackle it is in winter when it is darker for a longer time in the mornings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Id ensure she is warm enough as agree with the previous comment about that time of the morning being rather cold.

Also have you tried a gro clock or similar.
    My 5yr old has one and knows if the 'moon' is still on her clock when she wakes she is to go back to bed. Took a few weeks of encouragement but works