Security of day care facilities | Page 4 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Security of day care facilities

Quote Originally Posted by littlejoeyg View Post
    I want cctv in all schools aged facilities and childcares personally. It hurts no one to have it. It can be monitored and its a huge deterrant to bad behaviour and if its what stops a child being abused molested or an elder person being abused then i am all for it. If it leads to persecution of individuals then even better. It is often the people we out the most trust it that commit heinous crimes that are hard to prove or catch so id love to be able to log in and see my sons room when ever i wanted
    Sure. But why stop there? CCTV in schools, workplaces, hospitals, public toilets, even at home, that'll stop bad behaviour, and picking your nose too

Fwiw, Jill Maher's killer was caught on CCTV but it didn't stop her from being murdered.

How absurd. Nanny state indeed.

Eta: CCTV provides a false sense of security. And is open to abuse.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 28-07-2016 at 08:19.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (29-07-2016),witherwings  (28-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terryiom View Post
    So the front door is secure with a keypad, but the back door is left open. Kids aren't left alone, but neither was the family day care place in Perth where the guy managed to get two kids away into the park, and to be honest it wouldn't take much to push one person over. The CCTV in neighbouring premises caught the guy, imagine if you kid has gone and nobody could explain who took them.

I am not being over the top Blessedwith3boys, I hold one of the highest security professional qualifications in the world and have protected many enterprise companies, so know what I am looking for when it comes to securing premises and protecting people and assets.
    The incident is Perth did not occur at a daycare centre. The two children were taken from a public park while at vacation care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Terryiom View Post
    So the front door is secure with a keypad, but the back door is left open. Kids aren't left alone, but neither was the family day care place in Perth where the guy managed to get two kids away into the park, and to be honest it wouldn't take much to push one person over. The CCTV in neighbouring premises caught the guy, imagine if you kid has gone and nobody could explain who took them.

I am not being over the top Blessedwith3boys, I hold one of the highest security professional qualifications in the world and have protected many enterprise companies, so know what I am looking for when it comes to securing premises and protecting people and assets.
    You are talking about a daycare centre, not security for an embassy in a war zone, a jail for hardened criminals or a vault in a bank.

If you are worried about daycare centres, then you will be shocked at "security" at schools. When we lived in Canberra no schools had fences. The horror. The school my kids are at has a fence, BUT the gates are always open. Strangely enough kids are not going missing on a regular basis. I am aware of one attempted abduction but it was related to a child custody dispute and procedures the school had in place were sufficient to stop it from happening.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 28-07-2016 at 09:25.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (29-07-2016),Renn  (28-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    When I moved to tassie one centre didn't even have key pad entry 😳 I can tell you now that kids disnt attend there lol
    The daycare my older kids went to had fence and gate but no key pad lock anyone could enter. I found this strange as we'd just come from London and they had pass coded locks and webcams (loved but very distracting at work). Technically anyone could enter but it was quiet suburban street and always a carer outside if kids there. I thought it was probably the Aussie way and I was just overbearing mum! When ds moved to preschool same thing. No locks / keypads on doors or gates. Tho preschool bit more routine so anyone turning up outside normal drop off / pick up would be obvious and all the carers know the parents. Where dd2 goes for 5 hours a week also has no lock. There's a gate to main building and through a door. I must admit a few times I've felt a bit unsure when I've been going out the door and a little one is right beside me almost following me out as I think yes it's possible someone could happen to sneak in the door and snatch a kid quickly. But I guess as they've been okayed to operate I am putting my trust in them properly supervising the children. I am pleased that when she starts preschool next year that they have a code to access the front gate and my kids have never gone before they could talk / scream for mummy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When my eldest was a baby, the centre he was in had none of this. It was in what clearly used to be a house. It had standard 1200 high fences out the front but the gate was generally open. You had to walk down a path next to the house and enter via the back door that was on some decking, and the side path had a pool fence type gate on it. But you just walked into the house and there may or may not be someone at the desk (old kitchen bench). There were often times I would be standing there for 5-10 minutes, waiting for someone. The kids were in the "next room" but it was pretty open plan so I can see them and probably easy grab one.
    This was in a Western Sydney suburb near a train station so not particularly great area too. But I had a million problems with that centre so we left anyway.

Where I am now, my youngest 3 go to preschool. It has two entrances, one from the street. You go through a pool fence/gate to the outdoor area and then into the room. The other entrance is from the school quadrangle. It's a little country school so there is very minimal fencing there at all. Only 5 kids attend though (3 being mine) so it would be very very easy to spot someone taking a kid.

I'm not a big fan of cctv in terms of deterring crime. If they are going to take the kid, cctv won't stop them. Think about how many "cctv footage of kidnap" videos you see online/telly. It clearly didn't stop them.
    I can't really picture what you mean by the fences but I agree that if you feel it isn't suitable, find an alternative arrangement. Why have no other parents complained about it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree that cctv wont stop sickos like the pos that murdered Jill Maher or those little kids but it goes a huge way to catching/prosecuting people. There was a girl murdered in toowoomba or somewhere near there a while ago and they caught the killers car on cctv so were able to place him in the area. I hope nothing ever happens to all of our babes but at the end of the day in the real world bad **** happens all of the time so i am all for cctv everywhere but our homes and tbh with all of the crime relating to dv its probably needed in some homes too!!!!
    Last edited by littlejoeyg; 28-07-2016 at 21:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My childcare center must not be the norm. It is downstairs under a 24/7 gym so you have to go through 2 keypads to get in. Then the yard has a 8 foot high fence around it with full cctv as it is also a 24/7 gym.

When my DP went to get our daughter once, they called me to make sure it was really him as it was out of the ordinary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally your call op in terms of where you send your child, but to be honest the police officer was simply providing the facts, which is that cctv doesn't deter offenders from committing crimes. Given most day are centres run on extremely tight budgets and would likely need to pass on fees charged to parents for major security upgrades, I think that they're doing the right thing by asking for a professional assessment of where improvements can be made and following this advice. I also think that the whole "security" industry has a lot to answer for, they often use scare tactics to frighten people who can least afford them into buying security products when they are well aware that they don't necessarily reduce crime. I think cctv has its place, don't get me wrong. But having it everywhere is an unnecessary cost that society shouldn't have to bear.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Dragon View Post
    I'd be more concerned about the unsecured door & low fences really.

My DDs daycare has 6ft fences & keypad entry. Not sure about cctv.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I agree, my DD also has secure high fencing and key pad entry