+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Terryiom View Post
    Raised a few concerns with current day care that my DD goes to, one being that they leave the back door unlocked which leads to the nursery, about 2 feet to a low iron railing fence (which anyone could jump) and second was CCTV covering entrance doors and playground area (again low fence). My concern is that anyone could jump the fence pick my DD up and away they go, no way of identifying who or what took her.

Day care had a leading senior constable who's role is Crime Prevention Officer come and carry out a security audit. He recommended:

"I see no issue with your external fences or youraccess/egress points throughout the centre. I know we discussed theoption of installing CCTV cameras in the centre. My belief is thatcameras assist in monitoring movement of people within the facility, but arenot effective in deterring crime. I view footage daily of offenderscommitting crime and on most occasions they have disguised themselves by simplemeans and have not been able to be identified. Quality cameras can be asignificant cost and may not have any benefit to the centre."

I feel disgusted and sick that a senior police constable can even suggest such a recommendation, needless to say we will be reviewing the security of our DD.

I think it's a pretty fair call for the cop to say criminals mostly try and disguise themselves around cameras!

To be honest this scenario doesn't sit right. There seems to be a misinterpretation or misunderstanding of some sort.u doubt the cop would say things are ok if the back door was left unlocked and easily accessible from the outside. How do you know this? Did you jump the fence and try and open the lock from the outside?

TheGooch is online now Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This thread has made me rethink our daycare!
    Unlocked front door
    Front desk often unattended
    Can walk into any room in the centre - and out again.
    No CCTV
    And whilst the kids are under observation by a number of staff (inside and out) its probably not as secure as it should be - country town or not.
    Having said that, our former day care at times had the front desk unattended and I could have walked into any room in the centre.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (28-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Security of day care facilities

, I hold one of the highest security professional qualifications in the world and have protected many enterprise companies, so know what I am looking for when it comes to securing premises and protecting people and assets.
    I don't get this. Either you are over stretching the truth, or over the top in tooting your own horn and/or you have prior experience in the crime/security field (witnessed scary stuff) that is distorting your views.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I am not being over the top Blessedwith3boys, I hold one of the highest security professional qualifications in the world and have protected many enterprise companies, so know what I am looking for when it comes to securing premises and protecting people and assets.
    Do you sell CCTV? 😉

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (28-07-2016),delirium  (27-07-2016),GrabbyCrabby  (27-07-2016),onionskin  (27-07-2016),VicPark  (27-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't think CCTV is any use at all to be honest - except give the feeling of safety. Feeling of safety, not actual safety.

But I would request the back door is locked. That seems weird to me.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (27-07-2016),MsViking  (29-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    When I moved to tassie one centre didn't even have key pad entry 😳 I can tell you now that kids disnt attend there lol
    No keypad entry at my DS's childcare. I've never been worried about security there. Tbh, while i haven't been to lots of centres (maybe 4 or 5?) I've never seen a keypad entry.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (28-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    No keypad entry at my DS's childcare. I've never been worried about security there. Tbh, while i haven't been to lots of centres (maybe 4 or 5?) I've never seen a keypad entry.
    Really? At ours in Adelaide we have a pin and every fortnight the pin gets changed I love it. I'm bit OCD. Lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    Keypad entry here.

As the former director of the centre told me once, "Melbourne international airport is 20 min drive away".
    I think their concerns were more around children custody disputes...

Thanks
    Reviews
    We don't have a keypad where ds1 goes.

You goo into reception and the next set ofdoors which open into the corridor have an electronic lock on them. Receptionist presses abutton which temporarily unlocks the door.
    If there's no-one At reception you stand infront ofa video intercom and buzz.staff cansee who it is and unlock the doors from the rooms

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think DD's centre must be the odd one out. No pin entry and doors are not locked, although you need to walk past reception (which had always been attended) to get in the centre. I think the fences are about the same height as standard suburban backyard fences. I didn't realise this wasn't the norm.