Security of day care facilities | Page 2 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terryiom View Post
    .....I hold one of the highest security professional qualifications in the world and have protected many enterprise companies, so know what I am looking for when it comes to securing premises and protecting people and assets.
    Then I am sort of surprised that with those qualifications and your opinions on child care security.... that you chose this particular centre

Have you voiced your concerns with the Director?

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

amyd  (27-07-2016),gingermillie  (27-07-2016),GrabbyCrabby  (27-07-2016),MsViking  (29-07-2016),onionskin  (27-07-2016),VicPark  (27-07-2016),Wissa  (27-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Looking around now for new place Mod-biscotti, we raised the concerns with the staff and they did nothing, so raised it with the director and they go the review done. Will be high on the list for the next day centre don't worry

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So the front door is secure with a keypad, but the back door is left open. Kids aren't left alone, but neither was the family day care place in Perth where the guy managed to get two kids away into the park, and to be honest it wouldn't take much to push one person over. The CCTV in neighbouring premises caught the guy, imagine if you kid has gone and nobody could explain who took them.

I am not being over the top Blessedwith3boys, I hold one of the highest security professional qualifications in the world and have protected many enterprise companies, so know what I am looking for when it comes to securing premises and protecting people and assets.
    What do you mean that the back door is left open? As in, open to a public space? Or open to the playground?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to moosey For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (27-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought the same as biscotti- if safety is a concern, move your child to a more secure centre. That is much more rationale than demanding they install CCTV.

FWIW - DS is at a fantastic centre with high fences, and keypad & buzzer entry. Id never leave him anywhere I didn't feel safe. You're the parent - don't blame the centre.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The door is unlocked all day, there is an alleyway leading to the playground, maybe 2ft wide and a rail fence which is about 4ft high. If it was an open out and a keypad to get in it would be great, but it can be opened form the outside. The excuse was that staff need to be able to get in and out .

The funny bit is that you secure your front door and leave the back door open, how many bad people would come in via the front door.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The door is unlocked all day, there is an alleyway leading to the playground, maybe 2ft wide and a rail fence which is about 4ft high. If it was an open out and a keypad to get in it would be great, but it can be opened form the outside. The excuse was that staff need to be able to get in and out .

The funny bit is that you secure your front door and leave the back door open, how many bad people would come in via the front door.
    It's hard to imagine what you're talking about. But I'm not sure why you are pushing cctv when the fencing seems to be the biggest issue. At our centre, the back doors are unlocked but there is high fencing surrounding the area so no-one could get in.
    I would agree with the others who have questioned why you have sent your child there if you are so knowledgable about security.
    P.S, I'm no expert but it is my understanding (as per the police report) that cctv doesn't actually deter people from committing a crime.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When I moved to tassie one centre didn't even have key pad entry 😳 I can tell you now that kids disnt attend there lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    So the front door is secure with a keypad, but the back door is left open. Kids aren't left alone, but neither was the family day care place in Perth where the guy managed to get two kids away into the park, and to be honest it wouldn't take much to push one person over. The CCTV in neighbouring premises caught the guy, imagine if you kid has gone and nobody could explain who took them.

I am not being over the top Blessedwith3boys, I hold one of the highest security professional qualifications in the world and have protected many enterprise companies, so know what I am looking for when it comes to securing premises and protecting people and assets.
    Well if you were as smart as you claim to be wouldn't you have checked out the centre to ensure it was up to your standard before placing your child there!?

I've been involved with the same centre for 7 years now all 3 and have no complaints. As stated previously, the centre has to have regular reviews including inspections, it wouldn't be able to operate if standards weren't met.
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 27-07-2016 at 22:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Op, i am early childhood education trained and worked in long daycare for many years.

What state are you from of you don't mind me asking?

Each state has their own set of regulations which set out the minimum Legal requirements for everything from staffing, usable space, number of children, etc and has requirements for the physical specifications of the facility including things like the way doors open, height of doorknobs, external doorknobs etc. ..and....fence height.

My suggestion would be to google your states early childhood regulations and find out if their fence height meets the minimum requirements. It's been a while since I've looked at them (currently a sahm) and they change often so im not familiar with what may be current but all places ive worked fences have been approx my eye level and im 5'7.

I would then discuss it with the centre director. If youre unhappy with their response there are places you can contact about it to have something done about it (education dept is one)

As for cctv, i think an in service one that's unable to be viewed externally would be ok, but i don't see the need to demand it be installed as they're would be allot more involved.

Given your experience in the security industry i believe you would also understand the logistics of a centre having multiple rooms and outdoors covered with multiple cameras and the storage of that footage, cost, how long it's kept, where etc
    Last edited by shadowangel0205; 27-07-2016 at 22:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Molros View Post
    Same as @moosey, I don't think CCTV is necessary but where DD goes there are high gates and security codes to get inside the front door. Only parents can get in and out. If you don't feel safe where she is going then I would look at changing centres
    This is what our boys' childcare centre is like as well. No one can get in without a code. Also, the children are constantly supervised. They have strategically placed supervision points in the outdoor area so that children can be within view at all times.

Personally I don't want CCTV in the centre as it may affect the way the carers interact with the children (feeling constantly monitored which I really don't think is necessary).

I'm surprised that the constable thinks the fences are not low. What about being able to be opened from outside? That's strange.