Security of day care facilities | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Security of day care facilities

Raised a few concerns with current day care that my DD goes to, one being that they leave the back door unlocked which leads to the nursery, about 2 feet to a low iron railing fence (which anyone could jump) and second was CCTV covering entrance doors and playground area (again low fence). My concern is that anyone could jump the fence pick my DD up and away they go, no way of identifying who or what took her.

Day care had a leading senior constable who's role is Crime Prevention Officer come and carry out a security audit. He recommended:

"I see no issue with your external fences or youraccess/egress points throughout the centre. I know we discussed theoption of installing CCTV cameras in the centre. My belief is thatcameras assist in monitoring movement of people within the facility, but arenot effective in deterring crime. I view footage daily of offenderscommitting crime and on most occasions they have disguised themselves by simplemeans and have not been able to be identified. Quality cameras can be asignificant cost and may not have any benefit to the centre."

I feel disgusted and sick that a senior police constable can even suggest such a recommendation, needless to say we will be reviewing the security of our DD.

Does anyone else feel that CCTV needs to be compulsory in day care centres, and I am against having it in the rooms for anyone to watch over the internet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    TBH - I don't see a need for CCTV at a child care centre, but having said that, our centre has secure fencing. I don't know if security is a problem where your centre is located but ours feels safe and secure. I think rather than cctv, the centre should be equipped with locked doors and proper fences and gates. There shouldn't be a need for cctv, as there should be no access for the general public to enter.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to moosey For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (27-07-2016),GrabbyCrabby  (27-07-2016),Renn  (28-07-2016),VicPark  (27-07-2016),Wise Enough  (28-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Same as @moosey, I don't think CCTV is necessary but where DD goes there are high gates and security codes to get inside the front door. Only parents can get in and out. If you don't feel safe where she is going then I would look at changing centres

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Molros For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (27-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd's centre doesn't have cctv and I still think it's very secure. Doors are locked with keypad entry. Fences and gates are secure. But most importantly, children are never alone. I don't think cctv would make it any safer. That being said, I find the fact that your centre has low fences and unsecured doors concerning.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

Terryiom  (27-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I want cctv in all schools aged facilities and childcares personally. It hurts no one to have it. It can be monitored and its a huge deterrant to bad behaviour and if its what stops a child being abused molested or an elder person being abused then i am all for it. If it leads to persecution of individuals then even better. It is often the people we out the most trust it that commit heinous crimes that are hard to prove or catch so id love to be able to log in and see my sons room when ever i wanted

9. The Following User Says Thank You to littlejoeyg For This Useful Post:

Terryiom  (27-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm shocked at your comment toward the officers opinion tbh.
    Daycare centres need to go through evaluations regularly so I am sure the security side of things is adequate. I think your being a bit over the top.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (27-07-2016),MsViking  (29-07-2016),VicPark  (27-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd be more concerned about the unsecured door & low fences really.

My DDs daycare has 6ft fences & keypad entry. Not sure about cctv.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Izzys Dragon For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (27-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think secure fencing & gating in any day care centre is crucial- cctv not so much.

If I wasn't confident a centre was secure I would simply not enrol my child there.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (28-07-2016),Terryiom  (27-07-2016),VicPark  (27-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with the others, I don't think CCTV is necessary but I would want to see secure fencing and locked entry point. The centre my kids go to is in an office building so no street access (there's a huge outdoor space but it's about 3 levels up). The only way in is to press the buzzer at the front door and a staff member will check on the monitor and then buzz you in. There's always someone at the reception area to monitor who goes in/out.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Terryiom  (27-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So the front door is secure with a keypad, but the back door is left open. Kids aren't left alone, but neither was the family day care place in Perth where the guy managed to get two kids away into the park, and to be honest it wouldn't take much to push one person over. The CCTV in neighbouring premises caught the guy, imagine if you kid has gone and nobody could explain who took them.

I am not being over the top Blessedwith3boys, I hold one of the highest security professional qualifications in the world and have protected many enterprise companies, so know what I am looking for when it comes to securing premises and protecting people and assets.