Bathroom renovation | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Bathroom renovation

We are looking at getting our bathroom renovated and I am not what layout to go for. It is a small space and currently we have a tiny bath, separate shower and small vanity. The current layout is quite cramped with 3 kids and I can't get into the tiny bath (which I do enjoy a soak now and again). Question is - do I move the bath (to allow for a bigger one) and put the shower over the bath and then have a double vanity? This will mean having the shower/bath under a window (which I have been told is possible with waterproofing/tiling). Love the idea of a big bath, double vanity and more space, but worried about having to step over the bath for a shower. We do have another bathroom downstairs (not an ensuite) that has a shower - which is what me and DH use. So the bathroom we are renovating is the kids bathroom, but I am worried about resell. What would you do???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bumping for night time crowd

Thanks
    Reviews
    My friend just renovated her bathroom. It wasn't a little one, but she put the bath under the window, and a wet area for a shower next to it (just a space and a sheet of glass to separate it from the vanity). Is your bathroom even too small for that?
    In relation to resale value, I don't think it would make too much difference with having to step over a bath to get into the shower for most people. Lots of people want the option of having a bath, even if they never actually have baths!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have seen this done before and we could fit it with a small single vanity, but I think it would still be squishy.
    Our bathroom is only 2.5x1.8m so quite tiny for 3 pieces. Having 3 kids they are always fighting when it comes to cleaning their teeth etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally I'd go with double vanity & shower over bath. Families generally prefer having a bath available for the kids, but having a shower is essential as well, for those times you need to hose them down! I think a shower over bath makes the most of a small space.

Double vanity is a big plus for families as well, as like you said - the kids need space to get ready for bed/school etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I grew up with 2 siblings and a single vanity was fine for us and my folks. The only thing you have to consider is when moving the layout around how much extra is that going to cost to move the plumbing. To keep some costs down I'd suggest gutting the bathroom yourself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My first response was that having a separate shower and bath was a deal breaker for me when we were house hunting I really hate having shower in a bath tub. So that would be my first preference. But having read you have a separate shower elsewhere and that the room is too small for three pieces,I would go the shower over bath plus double vanity.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1469613415.996278.jpg
    We are currently renovating both our bathrooms. Our second one is quite small and will be the kids bathroom and we will be going for a shower over the bath similar to the pic :-)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bel2466 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (27-07-2016),JustJaq  (27-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's exactly what I was thinking of doing (minus the toilet - as we have this in a separate thank goodness).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Shebes For This Useful Post:

bel2466  (27-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The other good thing about the double vanity is storage space !