+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think there is a portion you can control, and a portion which is just how your body manages pregnancy.

I gained 13kg with my son, mostly bump but my arms and legs did grow. Pretty sure 3kg of that was from slack eating, but I lost most (11kg) within 10 months.

A fairly petite friend of mine put on 30kg with her son. And I swear she didn't overdue it. Lost it all within 12 months.

I'm very early with my second so I'll let you know how I go. I've been much more active since having DS, so I'm hoping to stay around 10kgs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Is it possible to just grow a bump not a huge bum?

Quote Originally Posted by lileitak View Post
    I think there is a portion you can control, and a portion which is just how your body manages pregnancy.

I gained 13kg with my son, mostly bump but my arms and legs did grow. Pretty sure 3kg of that was from slack eating, but I lost most (11kg) within 10 months.

A fairly petite friend of mine put on 30kg with her son. And I swear she didn't overdue it. Lost it all within 12 months.

I'm very early with my second so I'll let you know how I go. I've been much more active since having DS, so I'm hoping to stay around 10kgs.
    I agree with this. I am active and ate as well as I could when pregnant (terrible ms second time around - I literally ate nothing but oven fries for one 3 week period. I also ate through the night to prevent vomiting). I gained under 10kg each time and it was only belly. I had no fluid retention at all - my rings weren't even tight. That wasn't my doing, just my body.

My active, highly health conscious friend from school gained 20kg during both her pregnancies. She was more active than me and ate better as well. She was so fluidy - her face was so puffed up. She lost it all each time. Point of my story is - some things are out of your hands.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:

ilex  (27-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unless you are prepared to exercise a lot, I think it really is out of your control and comes down to body shape and the way you naturally lay down fat. Even when I was thin and had a very low bmi pre kids I had a big butt. It only got worse during pregnancy.

I seemed to end up around the 80kg mark with each of my pregnancies, regardless of the starting point. I started each pregnancy between 55 and 70 kg. I got really really hungry with my first pregnancy (55kg start) but not so much with the others (65 - 70kg starts) but always ended up at the same end point.

No matter how much exercise I did - mainly walking and pregnancy aerobics and yoga classes, I always looked big all over.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies good to hear I suppose. I'm just one of those who fully blows out when pregnant. Just last time I gained 20kg and looked huge. This time I am gaining faster so I'm a little worried about that end number

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes it is possible, but I honestly think genetics has a lot to do with it. I was lucky and didn't put on much weight with my pregnancies. My second pregnancy especially, I was all bump. I ate healthy and kept up my exercise and didn't use pregnancy as an excuse to indulge. I was back in my skinny jeans within a couple weeks of giving birth.

However I know it's not that simple for everyone. My SIL put on 30kg but she was super super thin to begin with so I think maybe it was her body stock-piling!

Try not to worry too much. Some people put on lots of weight in first trimester but barely any in 2nd, and others don't put on any until the 3rd, it's not a one size fits all thing.

Focus on staying healthy and try to embrace your changing body. It's doing a beautiful amazing thing, even if you feel like a hideous whale! Plenty of time to lose weight after baby is born - and if your lucky you might find you even end up smaller after breastfeeding - I did with my first, and probably on my way to it again now. But unfortunately that means boobs too .

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it comes down to genetics that we have gotten from our folks. My first DS I put on 15kg then I lost 22kg. This time round with DS2 I put on 17kg and have around another 5kg (estimate) to go. I was all baby and you couldn't tell from behind that I was pregnant. All the weight I put on in both pregnancies was all fluid.

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Yes, it's possible. But I don't recommend it, it's good to have some spare kg if you plan to breastfeed. Ds sucked me dry!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just eat healthy and do some exercise and be the size you end up. I was mortified that I put on 16 kg when pregnant as I'd always been slim - I felt like a blimp and it got to my self esteem. However, the extra weight came off afterwards. I was back to pre baby weight when DD was 9 months old without too much effort.

Trying to limit calories etc while pregnant may not be great for bub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's just one of those things that is different for everyone. I thought I'd blimp out but I didn't - I was all bump right up til a few weeks before I was induced when my blood pressure started going funny and I put on quite a bit of fluid weight in a short space of time (I didn't think it was too bad at the time but looking at a couple of photos from late pregnancy I was definitely noticeably puffy!) and I think in the end I put on 13 or 14kg all up. But then after I had the baby I peed all that fluid out (I've never gone to the toilet so frequently in my life as after I gave birth) and the puff went down and I was wearing regular clothes again just a couple of weeks after birth. Then I kept losing weight and now I'm sitting about 5kg lighter now than when I got pregnant and have been for ages. And now I also have saggy boobs and a flat bum. I used to have a nice one

But none of that was due to any effort on my part, it's just how it happened.

I have a friend who recently had a baby. Started off as a tiny size 6-8, looked after herself well but put on over 20kg. At one month post partum she still looked pregnant. And I'm quite sure she eats better than I do! So I think it's just luck of the draw to a large extent. Your body does what it needs to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I actually lost weight in my last pregnancy due to diabetes medication but it still didn't stop me from looking like a beachball with legs. I was overweight before I fell preggers so it didn't help I guess. I agree with others. Genetics has a lot to do with it.