+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default IVF- first timer- told my eggs "maybe" fertilized -???

Hi all - I'm new to this forum and am breaking my husbands rule to not look at the Internet for answers but I'm so confused by what I've been told. I had 17 eggs retrieved using traditional IVF only 2 eggs have fertilized and 5 are described as maybe . This was told to me the day after egg retieval. They said that they'll know more the day after next. Has anyone else had "maybe" fertilised eggs and then they've gone on to be ok. I have suffered so much through this cycle and I can't help feeling disappointed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi @Naznaz12 On my second IVF cycle I was told 5 eggs had been fertilised but there was one "maybe". It basically meant that it had technically fertilised, but there was something about it that they didn't like the look of, or it didn't look like it had fertilised as well as the others had. They therefore didn't think it would start to divide into the right amount of cells.

They'll call you on day 3 and let you know how your fertlised eggs are going. At this point, usually some of the fertilised ones have not progressed to the right stage (not divided into the correct amount of cells). Then they'll call you on day 5 to let you know how many have divided into the correct amount of cells for that stage (and then you can usually do a transfer). I know some places do transfers on day 3 etc, but my clinic only does day 5 transfers.

My "maybe" egg actually ended up powering ahead and catching up to the others by day 3 I had 10 eggs collected, 5 + the maybe fertlised and 3 made it to day 5. I had one transferred (which was successful - I'm 19 weeks in a few days) and we were able to freeze the other 2.

Is this your first IVF cycle? 17 eggs is quite a lot to have collected. On my first cycle, I had 19 collected and only one fertilsed. That one didn't make it to day 3 though. I was gutted. I thought having more eggs would give us a better chance of success, but it doesn't particularly seem to work that way

If you have no success this time (hopefully you do!) they might play around with your medication dose in the next round to try and get fewer eggs. My FS is of the opinion that having too many eggs can mean they're not as good quality. (I don't have any scientific research to back that up though because I haven't bothered to look).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, yes it was my first go and having pcos appearing ovaries my dose of fsh was lo wish @ 125 then 100 units. Thanks for your insight, and wonderful news on your pregnancy. It seems like it's all down to luck and chance. Fingers crossed we have at least on embryo to transfer on Saturday. I'm currently unable to move off the couch from bloating and pain from the retieval so hoping its fruitful and my embryos keep up. My husband and I joke that they must've had a tiff on the day 😬

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have PCOS too and my dose on my first cycle was fairly low too - 150. The next cycle they started me at 125 then bumped it up halfway through, which I thought was weird, but they knew what they were doing and it turned out perfectly. Unfortunately, as frustrating as it is, the first cycle really is a bit of a practice cycle so they can see how you respond.

Look after yourself with the bloating - sounds like you could have at least mild OHSS from having lots of eggs collected. Drink tons of water, Gatorade and protein drinks so it doesn't get worse. If you are still very bloated on Sunday there's a chance they won't do the transfer and tell you to have a cycle off then do a frozen transfer. If we had ended up with an embryo to freeze on our first cycle, that's what would have been happening for us. It's the most frustrating thing, but believe me, you do not want to do a transfer if you have OHSS. If you do fall pregnant from that transfer, the OHSS will get much worse and you then can't take the medication to help you and it can become quite serious.

I remember how horrible it was after my first collection with 19 eggs, I didn't think I'd want to do it all over again. But the next collection with 10 eggs was a walk in the park

Hope that info doesn't upset you, I just wish I'd realised that possibility before I got a call from the clinic telling me. Good luck with it all, let us know how you go!