*trigger warning* child abuse in juvenile detention centres | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default *trigger warning* child abuse in juvenile detention centres

Who else watched 4 Corners? I am still reeling from the footage shown.

I don't even know what discussion to start here but I'm surprised there wasn't one already.

What has happened to us that people in positions of power feel it is appropriate to abuse children?

when I watched the newest season of orange is the new black I felt sick at the thought of treatment of the women in the prison, but now to see it not even an exaggeration, that it happens here, in juvenile detention centres, I feel so devastated by the depravity of everyone involved.

Thank god we have the ABC to investigate these things, God knows how long this would've gone on.

Turnbull is ordering a royal commission but what are they doing now? Commissions take years - surely they need to get these kids out, somewhere safe, and prosecute the people who thought it was acceptable?

It makes me feel even more ill knowing that the same - and I have no doubt, worse things - are happening in refugee detention centres.

I don't understand what has become of this world 😭

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not enough checks and balances I reckon. That old saying, absolute power corrupts absolutely? I always think back to that in these cases. Horrifyingly it almost seems to be human nature...? At least for a portion of the population, and I guess that portion will be drawn to positions where they are best able to have access to vulnerable others.
    I'm not sure of the answer but I do think many of these institutions simply have too much freedom and not enough accountability.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This whole situation makes me so sick. I feel for these kids so much. They have been truly let down by our system.
    Imagine the sorts of things these kids have been exposed to, to get them into juvenile detention in the first place. In most cases, they were probably already the victims of severe abuse and exposure to the most hideous crimes and situations. They were probably let down when they were very young by our justice system. Now they are being tortured again. There will be little chance these kids will ever be rehabilitated after what they have been through.
    I hope someone can step up and turn this situation around.

I feel so sick about it. How could Australia get it so wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I watched it too. I was horrified and saddened.

What sort of screening measures are in place for the guards? It just seemed that they were so sadistic. How did they become so sadistic? Is it learned behaviour? What do they see or do on a daily basis that suddenly such brutality was "laughable" to them. How did it become NOT shocking to them that they inflict such violence and humiliation on children.

its been on my mind for days now. I hope positive changes take place and soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I watched it and I wish I can unwatch it. Just heartbreaking to see children being abused like that. A royal commission will not do anything to protect these children. The centre needs to be shut down and the children to be moved somewhere safe and given much needed psychological treatment/counselling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There is enough checks but people abuse there power.

There is thousands of indigenous deaths a year in incarceration.

What makes me even more sick is a bloody enquiry... So much money and a useless judge who knows nothing about indigenous communities ffs!! Also focusing on ONE state. They should be doing all of Australia because it happens everywhere.

To anyone that says. Oh but he did crimes, spat, was a bad kid. Please remember he was a child. They were CHILDREN. Growing up more than likely in homes where they didn't have great role models, not much food. So these places should be teaching them. The government has already had recommendations thousands of recommendations of funding in NT & tribal lands how they like to just waste money and not listen to elders. So unless they want to start listening I don't think anything will change the vicious cycle.

My heart bleeds for them. Because imagine the kids who haven't been spoken for. Then we wonder why we haven't psychotic murderes on the streets etc all thanks to guards mentally scarring kids! Ahhhh

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    My heart breaks for the poor kids in the story, especially the main young man featured. I just couldn't help think about my own little man and how he's very sensitive to certain things. Approach something the wrong way (eg getting DS to eat dinner) and you could have a major meltdown. What if the young man in the story was the same? The violently pushing him down and stripping him naked, gassing him, knocking him down could make him feel so scared and overwhelmed and send him into a spiral of anger and despair.

I am so angry. I want to see some 'adults' charged and put away NOW, not get a slap on the wrist in 3 years time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default *trigger warning* child abuse in juvenile detention centres

I am the biggest advocate in there being a role for mindless chatter in promoting the mental health of hubbers. I'm a key offender in that regard. God bless the fluff threads.

That being said I can't help but feel a little disheartened that this post hasn't received more comments than *some* other recent self indulgent and some might say mindless posts.

This is truly one of the most disgraceful episodes in Australian history in terms of child welfare. Watch the full episode at your own risk - there is some confronting and heartbreaking footage.

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stori...25/4504895.htm

What would you do if this was your child?

What if your child was someone who had previously been harmed by this young boy who is now incarcerated? Would you feel differently?
    Last edited by VicPark; 02-08-2016 at 21:35.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (02-08-2016),Spincycle  (14-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had seen this situation mentioned on social media but I didn't watch it until I saw this thread the other day. It makes me feel so much sadness but that said VP I don't think I can add anything meaningful to this discussion. It's just one more in a long line of stories that leaves me feeling so despaired for the world that I'm raising my children in....
    I know it's unlikely but I really hope that these boys parents do not watch that footage. It would break me it that was my son.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (02-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    I had seen this situation mentioned on social media but I didn't watch it until I saw this thread the other day. It makes me feel so much sadness but that said VP I don't think I can add anything meaningful to this discussion. It's just one more in a long line of stories that leaves me feeling so despaired for the world that I'm raising my children in....
    I know it's unlikely but I really hope that these boys parents do not watch that footage. It would break me it that was my son.
    I think acknowledging the story and expressing despair (as you've done) is a contribution. Whenever such a grave injustice occurs in society the worst thing is when people say or do nothing. It's like it never happened, and the experiences of the victim haven't been validated. When people don't take note, that's when history repeats itself.

Your words counts