+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    As for the minister resigning no she played no part but there have been a few stuff ups I understand under her watch. And she went to the opera or something as the news was breaking?

Often it's just symbolic. Someone has to fall on their sword.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I feel sick to my stomach and my anxiety about the imminent arrival of belly baby has absolutely skyrocketed.

As Sonja said above someone has to fall on their sword for this. If the minister resigning in any way helps these families cope with the horror of what has occurred then so be it.

I feel so much pain for the family that lost their child. But I am horrified for the family whose baby is alive and fighting for its life with as yet to be determined permanent injury.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    It makes me wonder if the parents of the deceased baby were better off not being informed.
    I know it would be heartbreaking to lose a baby but then to be told long after the fact it wasn't down to nature but because of an error.....
    Especially if they might not be not be entitled to compensation.
    Law requires open disclosure of all incidents that occur in hospital. If this information was kept from the parents it would probably be kept from everyone. This would mean that the chances of further errors occurring is higher.

As a mum who's experienced stillbirth (different I know) knowing why my boy died is extremely important. I know I wasn't to blame, I know I couldn't have changed the outcome. No parent should be left wondering if the death of their child was their fault. The death of a much wanted baby is tragic and should never occur, that family will never be the same.

As a nurse this story breaks my heart. I truly feel for the health care workers involved. We never go to work with the intention of causing harm but sadly it happens. I've been involved in situations where human error (not mine) has resulted in patient death. These aren't neglectful nasty people they are just normal folks.

I don't see why the health minister should resign, she was not involved. Her resignation would not ensure this never happens again.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mummymaybe For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (27-07-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (27-07-2016),Star Light  (27-07-2016),witherwings  (27-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My heart breaks for the family I just can't even begin to try and understand what they are feeling right now. You can't help but cry every time you read about their story, so horrible.

I just don't think calling for the Ministers resignation is going to do anything. As with any incident investigation, the purpose is to find out why the incident happened, and to prevent it from happening again. It's rare it's to put the blame solely on one person. And even if it were (which I understand looking for someone, I truly do), I don't think the Minister is the right person.

They need to be looking at the company who installed the tanks, the people who are responsible for doing regular checks, and figuring out why these things weren't done properly. I'm sure safety legislation would state they need much more regular checks that annually. I don't see how this wasn't picked up earlier. But it seems like it's policies and procedures that have fallen down, not one persons human error.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    They will be entitled to compensation. It's a statutory right I believe these days.

I was reading an article that was discussing in NSW the parents would still need to prove they suffered a psychiatric illness as a result of their child's death and that reforms need to be made to the laws.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/death-of-b...26-gqdpuu.html

Eta - my heart breaks for these poor families affected and the babies.
    Last edited by smallpotatoes; 27-07-2016 at 11:26.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (27-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by smallpotatoes View Post
    I was reading an article that was discussing in NSW the parents would still need to prove they suffered a psychiatric illness as a result of their child's death and that reforms need to be made to the laws.
    Probably but with a case as high profile as this there will be ex gratia payments or ways to make this easier on the parents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Probably but with a case as high profile as this there will be ex gratia payments or ways to make this easier on the parents.
    Oh definitely, I think there will be some form of compensation and I think I read somewhere that the Minister has said there will be compensation

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Like many of you I am finding it difficult to read about this story. I think some of you will not want to hear this but I feel it must be said. Please think carefully before calling for the person 'responsible' for this error to be identified and fired/deregistered. As a healthcare provider this makes me so upset. Reacting angrily towards the person who made the error is rarely helpful and actually can do more harm then good. To be clear I am not talking about the reaction of the families involved. I am a mother and it's a nightmare i can barely comprehend. The family should grieve and go through whatever emotions that they like. I'm referring to the the health system and the public in general. Errors like this are complex. They usually occurs after a series of events. The fault mostly belongs with the institution but unfortunately it's the person involved who is blamed. This is a health care workers worst nightmare. It's very unclear to me how this actually happened. I can't imagine it being physically possible in the setting that I work in. But perhaps it is. One thing I know for sure it that if your demonize those that were part of the human error you actually increase the risk of similar incidents happening again. If staff are scared of not being supported they do not report clinical incidents and (very importantly) near miss incidents. This makes for a less safe environment for our patients. Something none of us want. I promise you that your care givers want you to be safe in their care just as much as you want to be safe. I feel so sorry for all involved.

11. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (27-07-2016),BettyV  (27-07-2016),Full House  (27-07-2016),HeavenBlue  (29-07-2016),JustJaq  (27-07-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (27-07-2016),monnie24  (27-07-2016),mummymaybe  (27-07-2016),smallpotatoes  (27-07-2016),Star Light  (27-07-2016),witherwings  (27-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    From what I've read, the error didn't occur from the hospital staff, it was the BOC staff when they fitted the gas.

I felt sick even reading the story those poor families. I also feel terrible for the theatre staff that ultimately administered the gas, it was not their fault but they are probably receiving a barrage of abuse and feeling so much misplaced guilt.

As to the Minister quitting. What for? Yes she sat on the story for a few days but she would have needed to have it investigated, had police or staff inform the families before going public. For both legal reasons and for clarity.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

HeavenBlue  (29-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a heart breaking incident . Truly awful but I don't understand what compensation will do? How can any amount of money ease the pain? I'll never understand it but each to their own