+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default *Trigger warning* NSW Health Minister called to resign after hospital scandal

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...ea0b8e8f223a13

Family of baby who died after oxygen mix-up at Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital left devastated

HEALTH Minister Jillian Skinner is facing a call to resign after it emerged she attended the Helpmann Awards ceremony as news broke on the death of a newborn baby in hospital.

Baby John Ghanem, who was supposed to receive oxygen but was instead given nitrous oxide, died after the mix-up at Bankstown-Lidcome Hospital on July 13. His uncle Joe Kharma said today he lived for less than an hour — a mere 57 minutes.

His parents Sonya and Youssef, who had gone into hospital expecting a routine birth, did not learn for a week how their baby died.

Another family said the loss was still “very raw” and that they were considering legal action over “medical negligence”.

Another baby is still fighting for life.

Authorities knew about the blunder as far back as last Thursday but did not publicly reveal the deadly mix-up until last night.

The incident has prompted NSW Opposition Leader Luke Foley to label Health Minister Jillian Skinner “grotesque” and call for her resignation.

“At the outset could I express my condolences and the condolences of the shadow health minister to the families affected here,” Mr Foley said.

“Our hearts go out to you as do the hearts of everyone in our state.”

“Mr Baird needs to find himself a new health minister,” Mr Foley said.

“The reaction of Jillian Skinner to this terrible tragedy speaks for itself, she found out about this some days ago and then she frocks up to go to the theatre.

“I find Jillian Skinner’s reaction grotesque in its insensitivity.

“Rather than reaching out to the family, rather than being available to the families to speak with them, rather than putting herself at the availability of the families affected, rather than being available to speak with the staff, she frocks up and goes to the theatre.”

Ms Skinner resisted a suggestion she resign at a press conference this morning.

“This afternoon I spoke by telephone with the mother and uncle of the newborn baby boy who died after being administered the wrong gas through a neonatal resuscitation outlet at Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital on July 13,” Ms Skinner said in a statement this evening.

“I apologised for the devastating error which led to the baby’s tragic death.”

The child’s mother today revelled she didn’t learn what had actually happened until a week after the incident.

The Ghanems, whose other three children were born at the same hospital, had their baby boy on Wednesday, July 13.

Mrs Youssef told the Nine Network this morning she had gone to the hospital for what she expected would be a routine childbirth when she was told she needed a caesarean section.

When she woke up from the anaesthetic, a nurse told her that her baby son was dead.

“I held my baby ... just looking at him, shaking my son. `Wake up’, I would tell him, `wake up, wake up. What have they done to you’,” Mrs Youssef said.

John was buried on July 21.

Uncle Joe told 2GB: “We’re speechless. All we want is justice for baby John.”

“I can’t describe to you enough the feeling and the visuals we go through seeing a little white coffin go six feet into the ground.

“What makes it harder now is the fact that we know he was killed for nothing. They just kept pumping poison into him.”

Mr Kharma criticised NSW Health Minister Jillian Skinner’s response to the tragedy which she called a “devastating error”. “I can’t understand how it’s just a ‘devastating error’ to the minister,” he said.

“You’re dealing with someone’s baby. Emotions are through the roof and all they can do is play the political game of covering up everything.” Another newborn remains in a critical condition after a similar mixup at the same hospital in June.

Mr Kharma said he hoped the second baby would pull through.

“I don’t want the family to go through what we’re going through,” he said.

The baby’s older sister Chantal said the hospital contacted them a week later saying “there’s some new information about the care your baby was given”, which was when they found out about the gas mix-up.

“They admitted it,” Ms Ghanem said.

“They said ‘it’s basically our fault’. I lost it when they said that. I just wanted to kill them.

“I am just so angry that an innocent life is gone due to something that should have never happened.”

South Western Sydney Local Health District is conducting a formal investigation.

What is know is that the fatal blunder occurred in one of the hospital’s birthing rooms when an outlet in neonatal resuscitation unit emitted nitrous oxide — commonly known as happy gas. But the gas was certified by BOC Ltd in July 2015.

Doctors had instructed oxygen be given to the babies, born in June and mid-July, to help them cope after struggling through delivery.

It is the second major scandal in the health portfolio in a matter of months, following the chemo scandal at St Vincent’s Hospital which resulted in dozens of patients being given the incorrect doses of chemo drugs by a single doctor.

Ms Skinner said earlier: “I know that the hospital in question, Bankstown, has checked all eight of its operating theatres,” she said.

“The one concerned ... there were only two babies affected fortunately. But that has now been closed and I’ve asked for every newly-commissioned theatre built over the last five years to be checked.”

Chief Health Office Dr Kerry Chant added: “At this stage we are saying the baby has been severely impacted and there are likely to be long-term impacts on the child.

“We are not walking away from the catastrophic events that were caused by this failure.”

This is absolutely horrific. It's disgraceful that this can even happen. How does it happen? Who is to blame?

I feel absolutely devastated for the families. I'm now also terrified of the idea of my newborn getting oxygen or any sort of intervention in the hospital! This isn't something we should be scared of in Australia with our health system. Unbelievable

Do you agree with the shadow health minister that Jillian Skinner should resign? Not sure what good that will do. I kind of feel like the whole public hospital system in NSW needs a massive overhaul, and I'm not sure how someone resigning will achieve that.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's horrific and I feel the same about my Bub! Apparently they've done a check of all the hospitals in NSW and they have been cleared but I'm still absolutely scared and heartbroken for those families.

I didn't read that article you've posted but I did read that the problem was that they hooked the wrong gas up behind the supply? So surely the blame lies on the shoulders of whoever hooked the nitrous gas up to the oxygen port; but I'm not 100% on that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    It's horrific and I feel the same about my Bub! Apparently they've done a check of all the hospitals in NSW and they have been cleared but I'm still absolutely scared and heartbroken for those families.

I didn't read that article you've posted but I did read that the problem was that they hooked the wrong gas up behind the supply? So surely the blame lies on the shoulders of whoever hooked the nitrous gas up to the oxygen port; but I'm not 100% on that.
    Yes I think they will find the individual responsible and there will possibly be criminal charges (negligence?). But why weren't procedures followed? How can it fall on the shoulders of one person? Doesn't this need to be tested first? Far out how hard is it to read the label on a gas cylinder? The level of incompetence is beyond belief.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (27-07-2016)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Yes I think they will find the individual responsible and there will possibly be criminal charges (negligence?). But why weren't procedures followed? How can it fall on the shoulders of one person? Doesn't this need to be tested first? Far out how hard is it to read the label on a gas cylinder? The level of incompetence is beyond belief.
    It begs belief. I truly have no idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not sure if her resigning will do anything either. Part name comes down to the company that installed the line and the bottles but this was 12 months ago which leads to the question how this hasn't happened sooner and why wasn't the line tested before it actually went into use

I feel for the parents and the families as I have a new DS that was born just 2 days prior to the July.

Bless that little soul who never had a diving chance ❤️

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (27-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A real tragedy. I think calling on the resignation of the minister is just political crap. She doesn't appear to have behaved in any way unacceptably. I do hope the staff member responsible is identified. It would be scary to have the potential for such gross negligence still present.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This is just the absolute worst

I saw the family on the news. That poor mum's eyes were raw from tears. My heart broke for her. I can't imagine how you would process something like that.

I don't know if the health minister should resign - I'm more concerned about investigations and measures being taken so that no poor family ever has to endure a tragedy like this again.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (27-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    My heart hurts so much for that mum. What an unimaginable outcome. Seeing her eyes, those tears. It made my chest hurt.

I don't think the health minister should resign. She played no part in the actual incompetence that caused this incident. They do need to inquire how such a mistake was made and how it can be avoided from happening again.

I can relate to feeling fears about the birth of my bub. I'm now scared and its likely unreasonable but nonetheless frightened should my belly bub need oxygen etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It makes me wonder if the parents of the deceased baby were better off not being informed.
    I know it would be heartbreaking to lose a baby but then to be told long after the fact it wasn't down to nature but because of an error.....
    Especially if they might not be not be entitled to compensation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    They will be entitled to compensation. It's a statutory right I believe these days.

The fact remains when humans are doing things errors occur. The gas seems to have been fed through the wrong tube. Or was in the wrong bottle. It was checked and double checked and still no one picked it up.

It beggars belief but is so unbelievable it's only happened once in known hospital history since these checks occur.

I burst into tears when first heard of this. Being given oxygen is such a normal part of child birth these days. I feel sick for anyone having babies now. One more thing to stress about.