+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The advice I was given from CHN was that it had changed to "from 4-6mths" rather than "from 6mths". I did BLW from 5 mths...but he could sit well and had no tongue thrust..
    Obviously 10wks corrected is too early...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its annoying how much these constantly change.
    When i had dd in 2009 it was recommended 4-6 months with ds i was told from 6 months in 2014 now its gone back to 4-6 in 2016.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Weaning early

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    my mothers group mostly started solids at 4 months. I've held off to 5 months and am taking it very slowly. I'm really only doing it now because I start back to work in sept and want ds to be familiar with a few solids. I'm not weaning, milk feeds are still his #1 nutrition source. the solids are just for taste/texture.

I'm quite confused about the current advice and guidelines, as there seems to be a lot of conflicting info out there...from 4 months, 4-6 months, from 6 months ???

people in mothers group have been saying their giving meat and yoghurt and their bubs aren't 6 months. to me that's wrong?? I thought those items were definitely only after 6 months?
    The link I posted earlier from the Sydney children's hospital answers all these questions. It's a really clear & concise fact sheet on this topic and is written by health professionals.

Generally speaking, from 4 months onwards you can start looking for signs that your baby is "ready" eg sitting up, taking interest in food etc.. Baby should start solids no later than 6 months but not necessary to start before this. I.e. You can start solids AT 6 months.

http://www.schn.health.nsw.gov.au/pa...ys-first-foods

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (28-07-2016),turquoisecoast  (29-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I also like "food is for fun when you are under one". Milk (breastmilk or formula) are all your baby needs until after one. Before that it is about learning about food, taste, texture etc. solids should not replace milk and I'd be concerned if your baby is reducing milk intake at 13 weeks.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (28-07-2016),turquoisecoast  (29-07-2016),witherwings  (28-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Weaning early

Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    The advice I was given from CHN was that it had changed to "from 4-6mths" rather than "from 6mths". I did BLW from 5 mths...but he could sit well and had no tongue thrust..
    Obviously 10wks corrected is too early...
    It's actually interesting when you google because current Australian guidelines say 'around 6 months, not before 4' whereas both UK and US guidelines are 'about 6 months.' I'm an American married to an Australian, living in the UK so I always end up googling all guidelines to see the difference. I just don't think we should be telling her four months is fine, it's a decision she should be making with her health care provider taking her specific baby's developmental milestones into account.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nette View Post
    I also like "food is for fun when you are under one". Milk (breastmilk or formula) are all your baby needs until after one. Before that it is about learning about food, taste, texture etc. solids should not replace milk and I'd be concerned if your baby is reducing milk intake at 13 weeks.
    I like that saying as well, you can find yourself getting obsessed with your baby not taking to solids and it's a nice reminder that it doesn't matter, their milk is their most important source of nutrients and calories.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    3 of my 4 kids were well onto solids by 6 months. Two because the paediatrician recommended it for their severe reflux. Remember it's only tiny amounts at first and you build up gradually so they're not really "eating" for months anyway.

So I thought I'd do the same with my 4th. She seemed ready and interested so at close to 5 months we started. Well disaster. She ate fine and seemed to enjoy it but her insides were not ready and she spent so many restless nights crying as her stomach just wasn't ready.

I was sceptical about the guidelines as they changed between my kids and what had worked so well for 2 wasn't what worked for the last.

It's not easy. Looking back I'd definitely still start before 6 months but not before 5. I think she would have been much happier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Guidelines keep changing as they learn more about allergies and what is best so I personally wouldn't take the mindset that they keep changing so it's ok to do what you want, I'd take the mindset that the most recent research shows that this is what is thought to be best compared to past research. (Not aiming that post at you Sonja, just a thought that came to mind).

I started ds1 at 5.5 months and found it really stressful because he had absolutely no interest and then at 7 months he just took off. I think it's important to follow your baby but also realize that their guts are immature, just because they show interest doesn't mean their body is ready. Ya know? Ds1 has a peanut allergy and just recently grew out of his tree nut allergies so I definitely take stock in what research says is the best time to be exposing them to certain allergens. Unfortunately with peanuts it didn't work for us but I will definitely be seeking info from our pediatric allergist about when to expose ds2 to nuts to hopefully avoid him having them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Weaning early

I didn't so much doubt the guidelines with my second and third it was more that I took the advice of 2 separate paediatricians for 2 of my kids and that advice was perfect for them. It just wasn't perfect for my 4th and j did wonder if the guidelines were right given it had worked so well for the others. But if I'd followed the guidelines she probably would be been ok.

It's hard as guidelines can change for numerous different reasons which we may not know about. I know for example the guidelines around bracing babies with hip dysplasia change every few years as do guidelines around speech therapy for stuttering.

None of that is directly relevant to this but more by way of an example of why this parenthood gig is tough.
    Last edited by Sonja; 29-07-2016 at 00:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I wasn't implying you doubted the guidelines, was just stating a general thought.