Weaning early | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Weaning early

My baby boy is 13weeks,I was induced 3weeks before his due date,my husband has been driving me crazy about starting bub on solids,I kept saying wait til he's at least 4months and that he's extra hungry at the mo because if a growth spurt,he didn't listen and yesterday gave bub pureed carrot-he seemed ok with it BUT today I've been freaking out as my husband gave him egg!! I know its a big no no,baby seems fine but is it ok to continue the solids? I don't want to make him sick! Any help would be good

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Weaning early

Way too early! It is not recommended to start until around 6 months and even then you start with one food at a time for a while so that you know which food they have had a reaction to if there is one. This link should help in terms of allergy advice. http://www.allergy.org.au/patients/a...rgy-prevention

Infant feeding guidelines: https://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmr...ary_150916.pdf

I would not be giving anymore solids until your baby is closer to six months. @Elijahsmum usually has great advice.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 27-07-2016 at 05:15.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Adoralicious  (27-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Your baby's gut isn't mature enough for solids. Please show your dh the links @HollyGolightly81 shared. At this stage breastmilk or formula is all your baby needs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Definitely too early. As for the egg, when Bub is old enough for solids, the only thing you need to avoid is honey. Everything else is fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe you should take him to your next doctors appointment and dob him in

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The links Holly provided are a fantastic resource but no his gut is just not yet able to handle solids and if solids are started before his system is ready to handle them, they are poorly digested and may cause unpleasant reactions (digestive upset, gas, constipation, etc.). Digestion of fats, protein, and complex carbohydrates is incomplete in infancy, but human milk contains enzymes that aid efficient digestion
    At this age he is growing rapidly and any solid food just does not have the calories and essential nutrients that breast milk or formula does and by feeding solids too early you may make him not drink as much as he needs

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (27-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be fuming if my DH did this, especially after talking about it and agreeing not to do it. I think you husband needs to visit an early childhood nurse with you to give him some guidance regarding infant nutrition.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would go nuts over this. The fact he went behind your back and did this but obviously has no idea what to feed for a first try at solids.

Does your DH think that by giving your DS solids that you won't bf or bottle feed anymore as he will be sorely mistaken for that one

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I find this totally irresponsible and dangerous. A baby given solids too early without strong head control and swallowing can aspirate food into their lungs and their gut also cannot tolerate solids when given prematurely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle5 View Post
    My baby boy is 13weeks,I was induced 3weeks before his due date,my husband has been driving me crazy about starting bub on solids,I kept saying wait til he's at least 4months and that he's extra hungry at the mo because if a growth spurt,he didn't listen and yesterday gave bub pureed carrot-he seemed ok with it BUT today I've been freaking out as my husband gave him egg!! I know its a big no no,baby seems fine but is it ok to continue the solids? I don't want to make him sick! Any help would be good
    Your baby has a corrected age of 10 weeks. The world health organization currently recommends starting solids at 6 months of age and definitely not before 4 months.
    Early introduction of solids (far too early in your case) is dangerous. It can displace milk consumption. Milk has all of the nutrients for healthy growth and development. Food does not at this age. Milk has to be the primary source of nutrition. His gut is not ready for this please stop.
    Why is your DH so insistent on feeding solids? Why does he think this will be beneficial? How is he feeding a child who presumably can't even sit with support? You run the risk of the baby choking. This is just wrong on so many levels.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Molros  (27-07-2016)