+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Restless newborn early in the morning

I know it's normal for babies to go into a light sleep in the early morning around 4-5am, but it's killing me. Ds2 (8 weeks) starts the newborn grunting and jerking around from about 4am and it's killing me, especially combined with nights feeds. I feel like I'm pretty much up for the day from then. If I hold him he'll go quiet but if I just leave him next to me or in his cosleeper it's just constant grunting and jerking. Has anybody found a magic cure that I may haven't tried or do I just need to wait for him to grow out of it, I can't remember what happened with ds1.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's so hard! And whether you can do something about it or not depends greatly only parenting styles.

I was very much led by whatever baby wanted including when they slept and ate. I didn't feel like I had any control over it, and I just accepted that it will change over time. Also every time they go through a developmental leap (or wonder week) they change their routine again. It was impossible for me to keep up so I just rolled with it.

Not much help, I know.. But I feel your pain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I put my ds in a infant swing which had a twirling mobile for him to look at.. He would be asleep in no time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm similar to you @witherwings, I am just trying to go with the flow and am very into wonder weeks and how development effects sleep. I don't think this is something a routine or sleep training would fix anyway as he is asleep, just annoyingly grunting and jerking around in a light sleep. So @GlitterFarts, I don't think a swing would work since he is asleep. I was mostly wondering if anybody found any magic trick like wrapping a particular way, etc. I think with ds1 I would move him to his room around 4am as not being able to smell me seemed to help but we don't have an extra room to move him to right now.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (25-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh how cute though - grunting and jerking! Hehe!!!
    But it would definitely keep me awake lol
    Babies!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I'm similar to you @witherwings, I am just trying to go with the flow and am very into wonder weeks and how development effects sleep. I don't think this is something a routine or sleep training would fix anyway as he is asleep, just annoyingly grunting and jerking around in a light sleep. So @GlitterFarts, I don't think a swing would work since he is asleep. I was mostly wondering if anybody found any magic trick like wrapping a particular way, etc. I think with ds1 I would move him to his room around 4am as not being able to smell me seemed to help but we don't have an extra room to move him to right now.
    I'm not sure if this will help holly but I did find a magic wrapping technique which settled my super unsettled reflux baby. It needs a video demonstration haha. But seriously worked a treat for us until she was rolling. She loved it. Here's the vid:
    http://youtu.be/5K4VdZxwsu4

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could bubs be cold? It does get chilly around that time. Just a thought.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    @HollyGolightly81 both of mine had grown out of that grunting in the early morning phase by the 4 month mark.
    Dd2 likes now to be awake though @5am on the dot.... At least it makes for an early bed time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would second the idea that cold might be a factor

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We're living in London currently and there was a heatwave last week, our rooms are still cooling down and currently not under 25 degrees. I do have a fan on but when he's in his bassinet the sides prevent it from hitting him. So don't think he's cold .

I'm fairly certain the newborn grunting and jerking around in his light sleep is some primal instinct to be closer to me because when I put him in the lie down breastfeeding position he instantly stops (but doesn't feed). Although I can relax that way I rarely fall back to sleep.

So two more months LMS? . I think ds1 lasted longer than that, the grunting went away but he used to slam his legs up and down in the early morning for ages and I'd have to rest my arm on them. These kids I tell you! I'd forgotten all of this! Ds1 trumpeted away like a baby elephant and now ds2 is like having a gorilla next to me

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (26-07-2016)