+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Just reading over the posts above, it's interesting to see what the general view is of liberal voters. The things described above are nothing even close to what I am like.
    I think from personal experience, from people who are formal party supporters, sometimes the far right can be very harsh. Especially when it comes to social policy. Not all are like that, plenty of good Libs

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    1) my dh does and my interest fluctuates.

2) when we met we had vastly different political views but slowly over time that has changed and we now have very similar views.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

GingerKat  (26-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Just reading over the posts above, it's interesting to see what the general view is of liberal voters. The things described above are nothing even close to what I am like.
    I think we get pigeon holed sometimes in a certain light. I like to think of myself as a realist and extremely logical. And for whatever reasons I naturally fall towards the right wing way of thinking than the left. That doesn't mean that I don't have a social conscious or that I just love money and support only the wealthy which is often what people seem to think. My MIL is left wing and always used to say to DH "Labor are for the working class, Liberal are for the richies" throughout his entire life and that's still what she thinks - she will never ever see it any diffently. The funny thing is is that she actually has some quite right wing ideas but I know she would rather die than vote Liberal because "she's working class"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (25-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    On social issues, I think the liberals leave a lot to be desired. Social issues are one thing DH are in agreement on - both support marriage equality, open borders, we believe in climate change, we believe in religious freedoms, we don't discriminate.. DH's social conscience is what drives his vote, while my vote is driven by economic issues.

that doesn't mean I want tax cuts for the rich and social security cuts for the poor, I just believe that the driver of the economy lies with supporting businesses and increasing competition, which means deregulation (to an extent). And DH actually agrees with this,but to him, those things aren't as important as climate change for example.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (26-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    FWIW, I have very close friends who are liberal voters and very close friends who are labor supporters. The labor supporters actually gasped in horror when I told them that I'm a liberal voter but that was the extent of it.. Nothing more. We have much more interesting conversations about international issues. My liberal voter friends are the people I went to high school with, and we happen to all end up having the same political views. It's all friendly and interesting discussion. I've never felt like I couldn't be friends with someone just because they have a particular view (unless that view was racist or homophobic in which case I really can't deal with that). I do actually know someone who is like that, he's a born-again Christian. He happens to be one of DHs best friends. Whenever he starts rambling on with his evolution-denial, I literally leave the room. I just can't stand it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

GingerKat  (25-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    In the same way liberal voters get pigeon holed so do labor. Like we don't know about how to run the economy, or are tree huggers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love politics, my DH has a slight interest in it, but I think that's only because he's been with me for so long and has had to listen to me over the years lol. We are both right, but DH is way more right than me.

Our friends range from far left to far right. I would never view someone purely based on their political preference and I never discuss politics with friends.

I view politics like footy.... I love AFL and can't stand Collingwood (like most AFL supporters lol), but as much as I dislike them, I love having friends who follow them because I like a variety of personalities in my life.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bluehawaii For This Useful Post:

GingerKat  (25-07-2016)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We both care about politics.
    I vote left, he votes right. (Nationals, not Liberal)
    He's a farmer
    I'm a social worker
    Whilst we vote differently, we feel the same way about a number of social issues. Strange you might say, given our voting preferences, however I think it's about how far up the priority list each one of us holds each of those social issues.
    DH also tends to vote along traditional lines for his family. Generations of farmers. I've got zero chance of changing his political views. And that's ok with me.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

GingerKat  (25-07-2016),witherwings  (25-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    In the same way liberal voters get pigeon holed so do labor. Like we don't know about how to run the economy, or are tree huggers.
    Totally! The bias is not one-sided

16. The Following User Says Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (25-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Interesting topic!!

Yes both my DH and I are very interested in politics. We discussed it a length and always have from a very early stage in our relationship.

I think it's a French thing as we love to gather with friends around the dinner table and talk/argue politics till the early morning.

We vote the same way but I wish he was a stronger leftie. Leaning a little bit too much towards socio liberalism for my liking!

I couldn't be with a liberal, they're notion of the ideal society isn't mine and I believe it impacts the way you raise your children etc

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

GingerKat  (26-07-2016)