+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    I've got a Mazda CX-5 and I love it. Although it's now 5 years old and starting to fall apart a bit. Not sure if it's because of the way I drive it or because it's kind of reached the end of its useful life.. I've just spent $2000 on new parts and battery, and I've spent a fortune on tyres over the last few years. It's a great SUV, but the engine has always been a bit weak (especially uphill acceleration) because it's a 2ltr engine, which is small for SUV. I bought it new - I'm glad I did because if it's only good for 5 years, I wouldn't have wanted a 2nd hand one.

Thinking of going for a 2nd hand Audi Q5 next
    That's interesting you've had problems with your Mazda as we've had huge issues with out Audi q3 and hubby now wants a Mazda as thinks they ate more reliable!! We've just spent over $10000 on repairs for our Audi that's less than 4 years old

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    That's interesting you've had problems with your Mazda as we've had huge issues with out Audi q3 and hubby now wants a Mazda as thinks they ate more reliable!! We've just spent over $10000 on repairs for our Audi that's less than 4 years old
    😯 wow, that's a lot to spend on repairs. As a mechanic's daughter, my dad taught me to always always look at the cost of parts for a car before purchasing it. Some cars have super expensive parts (Like Audi's), which means they are then super expensive to repair!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I must admit I loved buying my current car (a Nissan Tiida hatch) brand new and I don't regret the decision at all.

I didn't spend huge dollars though - it was 18K after trading in my old Corolla. And I don't plan on getting rid of it for a number of years (I tend to trade in my cars only when they become quite old and unreliable).

I consider spending in excess of 20K a on a car a pretty big deal, though it's all about being able to comfortably afford it. I hate having a car loan and can't wait to be rid of mine early next year!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    This is us - but we get car allowance for work as we need the cars for work and sometimes take clients out , we buy a new car every 3 years and it's just better tax wise to do a chattel mortgage and all car companies have extremely low rates ( I think my Audi is at 4% with free services and free road side service for 3 years so I literally have no other expenses apart from petrol , insurance and rego)
    Yep we had extremely low % and also tax whatever for industry hubby is in now we are trading it in because I am now getting my licence and he doesn't need it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    Wow! Really!? Damn! Might need to consider another car then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Should I get a new car?

Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Wow! Really!? Damn! Might need to consider another car then.
    We both have Audis and have never had any problems at all - they all have standard 3 year warranties or I think you can get up to 5 years ( if you pay extra) it's my first but DH second one and I'll definitely get another one

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had a mazda sedan in the past (bought brand new) and a second hand nissan xtrail. Both fabulous cars and never had any problems. My ex husband still drives the xtrail and we've been seperated since 2008.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Most cars drop their price by thousands the moment their driven out of the sales yard. Add another 10-20000km and the price drops even further.

I have had both brand new and near new cars and unless I could get an exceptionally good deal I wouldn't bother getting a new car again. I actually hate the new car smell, kind of toxic.

Try to find a near new second hand car - you should be able to get one with under 20,000 km that looks brand new (because it virtually is), saving yourself probably 10K.

We traded in our sedan a few years ago for a Kluger with 20K on the clock. From memory we paid about 32 (before trade in) and negotiated a free full set of new tyres (DH was mates with the manager). Brand new the sane car would've been 50K.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (27-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not necessarily true @sunnygirl79 I purchased a new CX9 4 years ago, haggled with the salesman a fair bit and ended up buying it for an awesome price. 2 years and 30000km later I sold it for $500 less than I purchased it for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have family members who buy all their cars at auction from company fleets, so they're getting near new, reliable, always serviced on time vehicles for a lot cheaper!

We bought a near brand new ex demo car, saved us a lot but came with everything we needed, new car warranty etc.

Also, when buying from a dealer, definitely haggle. We offered 20% below their asking price and ended up paying 15% less in the end. Also try and buy during their big sales because they need to move those cars quickly so they're normally more flexible.