+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We spent 60 k on our last car I don't know what you do for your job but if you have business etc tax might favour you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We never buy brand new cars, we buy secondhand but still under warranty and we have saved thousands that way. The last 2 cars we have bought have been 18months and 2 years old with very low km and upgrades (and still within standard 3 year warranty). Both cars have been well under $20k but brand new were ~$30k each. We've had no issues at all, get them regularly serviced etc, we have had one for 6 years with no issues whatsoever and it's fine even though now it's done huge number of k's. The other is also going great with no problems.

I think it's crazy buying brand new cars but I need people to so I can buy them 2 years later at a fraction of the cost!! 😆

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

Charlie74  (25-07-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (26-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Cars devalue very quickly. There's no way in hell I'd spend that much on a car.

We've never paid more than $5.5k for a car (second hand). They've all been fantastic and well worth the money. We do most of our own car maintenance/repairs. Our current car is a 2007 Commodore wagon which we paid $4000 for in January. It has a few scratches and dents, but that's just how we like it...don't have to worry about keeping it perfect. Mechanically it's in fantastic condition, and I imagine it'll last us at least 5 years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, never bought a brand new car...cant justify that sort of money just to say im the first owner. Always brought near new, and got heaps more bang for my buck. Spend the time hunting around, im sure you will find something great and also within a comfortable budget. If 40k doesnt feel right, then keep looking. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hate spending money on cars. We just bought a new Nissan 7 seater and while it's a great car, reliable etc. i don't really see the big deal in brand new cars. DP wanted it and we can afford it but honestly I'd rather blow that money on an OS holiday or something..

If you're going to keep the car for 10-15 years then you could consider it but stick to a budget that's affordable for you. The base models of new cars can be reasonable but when you tack on the extras they add up fast.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I must say I'm not so interested in cars. DH I'd very interested and bought and sold cars when he was at uni to make ends meet. Usually when he starts talking cars my eyes glaze over!

However, I can say we would never buy new. We just don't care about having something new and they depreciate as soon as you drive them out of the yard.

DH policy is to buy 2nd hand always. If you don't mind an 10 year old car you can get top of the line cars that when new cost upwards of $150000 for around $15 000. These are usually one owner cars with low mileage and all the luxuries to boot.

If I'd listened more closely to him the other night I would give specific examples but blah blah what...?

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH has Holden Colorado brand new 3 yrs ago that cost just under $40k new but he works himself and it's 100% tax deductible for him. I have a Holden jackeroo 7seater which when new in 2001 it was around $42k new I think can't remember we are both ones to drive our cars for ages and not just trade in in a few yes time. My folks bought a Mitsubishi 5 seater challenger last yr for $32k but my dad gets tax free on all new cars as he is on an army pension so it makes sense for them to get a new one as opposed to 2nd hand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I spent $73k on my car 6 years ago. It's now worth *maybe* 20k. So 50k gone in 6 years. That's a house deposit.

I lost central vision in one eye so needed to buy a car that had blind spot sensors for when I did head checks as a back up. Only Volvo and Audi had it at the time. I ended up getting a volvo XC60. It's been a great car, and I love it, but it's still trashed on the inside from the kids!

It's got issues at the moment, not sure how severe, it's in for repairs. Like the OP I started looking around at cars and seeing if I needed to replace it what I could buy.

I was horrified. The car I like is an XC90 and new it's $100k . No way in hell I can justify that. Not sure I want an older one as Volvo parts are super exxy to replace and i assume they would need more work.

Thankfully many cars have blind spot sensors now. Kia has a 7 year warranty which looks good, and repairs are much cheaper than volvos.

Fingers crossed my repairs are cheap!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've bought new standard & bought near new top of range & will never buy new again.

You will lose heaps buying new, doesn't really matter how long you would like to keep it. Hence, buying near new is much better value.

Not sure what your financial situation is like but $25k for a near new car & a $10k family holiday is a much better use of money IMO.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to YeahYeahYeah For This Useful Post:

yadot  (25-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @Janesmum123 I guess you'll find those ppl driving new cars don't own the cars ;-)

There's a lot of financing offers out there, have you looked that up?