+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Moving Vic to Qld- skip kindergarten?

Wondering if anyone has experience with moving young kinder kids Vic to Qld..

We may be moving from Victoria to Queensland later this year.

DD (May 13th birthday) is not due to start kindergarten here in Vic until 2017.

If we were in Qld now, she would be at kindergarten now. 2017 is when she should start school.

So if we move to Qld at the end of this year, does that mean she will go straight to school next year and not attend 4 yr kindergarten or will they want her to attend kinder, therefore 'hold her back'?

I know in Vic it seems to be normal to hold kids back, not sure if this is the same in Qld?

She does attend a 3 y/ o program here in Vic (only 2 x 2 hour sessions a week though!) but I feel like she's more than capable and she could attend 4 year kinder now. So no concerns with readiness from me if she is expected to just attend according to age.

Sorry if this is confusing, hope someone can help?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have 2 dds, both born in Melbourne, one in June and one in May. We moved to qld and they attended school a whole year earlier than they would have done in Melbourne.

At my dd's school, the norm is to enroll them according to the cut off dates and then they consider having them repeat the year, if necessary. I do not know of anyone who has successfully held their child back from entering school.

So, in my experience, your child will skip kinder and commence prep. The trend of holding your child back, which was really common in Melbourne, just isn't something I've come across where I live.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to preggasaurus For This Useful Post:

yadot  (24-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    All kids in my dd's school are the 'correct' age for the cut offs other than just a couple of kids. Not as common to delay entry here in my experience.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

yadot  (24-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in Brisbane and I think in the past it was really uncommon to hold kids back before prep here previously. I held my May birthday boy back, as he wasn't ready, and didn't have any problems doing this, and there are a couple of other kids in his class that were held back too. There are also a few kids that are a full year younger than him, and now in year 1 they seem to be going along fine.
    Kindergarten in QLD is encouraged, but not compulsory, so you can totally send her to school next year if you think she's ready.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

yadot  (24-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This link has the info on prep enrolments - https://www.qld.gov.au/education/ear...nrolments.html

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lauzy For This Useful Post:

yadot  (24-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you want to delay her starting kinder until next year you can, or go straight to prep if you think she is ready. I will most likely be holding back my march baby to start kindy when he's 4 turning 5.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heids89 For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (24-07-2016),yadot  (24-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There are heaps of March/April/May born children in DS1s kindy class - they were all eligible for prep this year but parents decided to delay until next year. It's actually really common to delay them. I would talk to the school principal where you intend to enrol your child, prep ready interviews are starting now for next year at our school - a perfect time to assess where your child is at and whether delaying prep another year would be advantageous to your child.

I guess it depends I the school but I know there is absolutely no pressure to start prep until your child is ready at our school.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

yadot  (24-07-2016)