+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default embryo thawing & survival

hey all im new to the group im a bit down about the hits ive had with my ivf/icsi cycles. i was meant to have an embryo transfer done today but they called while i was on my way into concept fertility centre and they told me my embryo hadnt survived through the night but yesterday it was apparently looking good. has anyone else had this happen to them? i just thought it was a bit strange that they recommend doing a fet but the chances are the embryo wont survive, i would be interested to see the survival rate/non survival rate as im just really puzzled. been on medication for weeks to have no embryo transfered.
    thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    hi yvette im sorry was it only 1 embryo you had, not uncommon for embryos embryos didn't survivle the thrawing process, do you have more embryos or do you have to do another full cycle goodluck jojo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Yvette,

Sorry this has happened to you it certainly sucks big time.

This has happened to me twice, both times I was mad, angry and broken hearted. All that built up and to have nothing
    Later on after moving through the emotions, I realized it was better now, than have the heart break and disappointment of a BFN
    Or after other cycles, embryos that did not make it to the freezer, better now than having false hope.

I was not with your clinic so I can't comment on the stats. I have been told that clinics have good thawing rates.
    It's hard being on the other side of the stats.

Good luck for your other cycles

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to hear

Was it a day 5 embryo or a day 3?

From what I know, a day 5 embryo has a higher chance of surviving the freeze/thaw than a day 3 embryo. The logic behind that is that a day 3 embryo can still drop off between day 3 - 5, whilst if another embryo makes it to a day 5 then it's more likely to keep going, obviously not guaranteed though.

Apparently there's different ways of freezing the embryos and different clinics vary their approach. I have heard some clinics to have higher thaw rates due to the way they freeze. But I don't know enough about that to give you specific details.

All the best on your TTC journey.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry to hear this. Did you only have the 1 embryo frozen?
    When I had my FET I had 3 X 3 day embryos thawed and the plan was to grow them to 5 day embryos (my clinic believes that freezing at 3 days then thawing and growing to 5 days gives a better response) transfer the best and re-freeze the rest. They said if none made the thaw they could get one of my other frozen embies out and thaw on the spot (they said thawing takes about half hour). Only 1 of the 3 survived the thawing so we transferred that and the other 2 we lost.
    I had a FET due to OHSS but my clinic said they get better success from FET than fresh transfers anyway. I guess they are all different in approach. I hope next cycle is successful for you.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default embryo thawing & survival

My clinic said due to the "newer" freezing/thawing processes (I think it's called vitrification), the successful thaw rate is about 95%. With the older methods it was a lot lower. I don't think all clinics use the same methods?
    As pp's have said, was it a 3 day embryo they tried to grow out to 5 day? If so, the drop off rate from days 3-5 is quite high even with good quality embryos.
    For both of my FETs they said they just thaw them the morning of the transfer & there was plenty of time to thaw another if the first one didn't thaw successfully. ETA: mine were frozen as day 5's though.
    I'm sorry your in this situation. IVF really sucks sometimes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yeah i agree with gingermellie about thawing not taking too long.
    Could you consider changing clinics to one with a better reputation? Transferring embryos is not a costly exercise

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks guys, it was a day 5 embryo, the 2 i had 1 got implanted the second got frozena anf they both made it to day 5. the emriologist called me last night to say it was looking good and had survived the thaw and then she said hopefully it will survive the night,i was booked in for 730 this morning she called at 725 to tell me it hadnt survived over night. ive been so angry and upset all day thinking why and to my knowledge i didnt think it took to long to thaw either and as my husband said why didnt they just do it this morning. but as i said to him if there was something wrong with the embryo it probly wouldnt have survived implanted anyway. i havent looked in to any other fertility clinics yet this is only my second time trying we started in February this year. im going to start a brand new cycle when i can and i will actually ask them the process of how they thaw you guys have given me so great feedback thank you