Calorie intake during pregnancy | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Calorie intake during pregnancy

Does anyone know what the minimum calorie intake is for women during pregnancy?

I used to use my fitness pal and would stick to 1200 net calories per day but this seems too low for pregnancy.

I'm in week 25 now.

Also, any good pregnancy Nutrician apps or books anyone can recommend?

Tia !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That seems too low to me, that's the calorie intake for someone on a weight loss program.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (23-07-2016),Wise Enough  (25-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Just after I had my DD I signed up to the 12wbt doing the preg/bf program and it was recommending 1800 calories per day. But generally I think if you don't worry about counting calories so much while you're pregnant, just focus on eating fresh, healthy, nutritious foods and eating when you feel you need to - not eating too much or going hungry - you and baby will be fine.

ETA: eating well is great when you can - but sometimes due to ms or just because, you want less fresh and healthy and more towards the other end of the scale and that's ok too! I think I consumed my body weight a few times over in chocolate while I was pregnant!!
    Last edited by besha; 23-07-2016 at 13:40.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to besha For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (25-07-2016),witherwings  (23-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Internet says increase by 300 calories per day in the first trimester, and then up to 500 per day by the third.

Make sure if you're hungry, you eat though!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (23-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    Internet says increase by 300 calories per day in the first trimester, and then up to 500 per day by the third.

Make sure if you're hungry, you eat though!
    That's super helpful! Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    That seems too low to me, that's the calorie intake for someone on a weight loss program.
    Yeah absolutely it's too low. That's why I'm asking.. When I was using MFP I was sticking to 1200 net calories which meant sometimes eating 1600 -1800 calories but burning 400-600 calories at the gym.

I was really active before I got pregnant but since February I have been eating crap food and completely not active. I feel like I've totally blown out of control. I know I'm supposed to gain wait, obviously .. But a LOT of the weight I have gained is purely due to bad eating and not exercising, and I feel really disgusted with myself.

I need to count calories to be accountable. It's what worked for me in the past to be in control of my eating. Not necessarily for weight loss, I don't expect to lose weight, although I wouldn't mind losing my newfound back fat

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by besha View Post
    Just after I had my DD I signed up to the 12wbt doing the preg/bf program and it was recommending 1800 calories per day. But generally I think if you don't worry about counting calories so much while you're pregnant, just focus on eating fresh, healthy, nutritious foods and eating when you feel you need to - not eating too much or going hungry - you and baby will be fine.

ETA: eating well is great when you can - but sometimes due to ms or just because, you want less fresh and healthy and more towards the other end of the scale and that's ok too! I think I consumed my body weight a few times over in chocolate while I was pregnant!!
    1800 cals a day is definitely a goal I can stick to. Thanks!

The days of blaming bad eating on MS has long passed for me lol I'm pretty sure I've been consuming 3000 cals a day lately.

ETA- I'm 24+ weeks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    1800 cals a day is definitely a goal I can stick to. Thanks!

The days of blaming bad eating on MS has long passed for me lol I'm pretty sure I've been consuming 3000 cals a day lately.

ETA- I'm 24+ weeks
    I wish I was over MS - I had all of a 10 week break from it. Sick as a dog for a fair chunk of each day at 35 weeks - and yup it definitely goes along with some pitiful food choices for me. Pretty much whatever I can keep down!

Anyway sounds like you've got a plan and a big congratulations 😊

12. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (24-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't count calories at all during my pregnancy. I ate like a hungover teenager going through puberty and only gained 10kg! I couldn't have restricted calories if I tried...I would have gone mad. My body told me what it needed and I obliged.

Are you just curious so that you eat the required minimum or are you trying to stay under 1800?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I did around 2000-2300 per day or there abouts. If I was hungry I ate but I didn't just eat for the sake of eating. A balance diet of fruit veggies fibre, more chicken then red meat and the very occasional splurge on fast food as I didn't feel great after eating it.

I wouldn't be going under 2000 as you have to remember your also feeding a growing human being inside of you.

I'm now 2 wks PP and I have a better appetite now then I did 2 wks ago. I'm actually enjoying eating food and I still have to keep up the calories of around 1800 a day I think it is for bf.