+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Asd,?

Hi everyone

Im not sure where to post this but would really appreciate advice.

I have 2 daughters 8 and 6. My eldest daughter has asd and was diagnosed at 6 yo

Recently my youngest daughters behavior has changed.

Dd 6 has always been a perfect child, polite, very attentive, hit milestones early just a dream. In the past few months dd has started soiling her pants pe.es and po.ops when she had been fully toilet trained since 3yo. She also had started qetting the bed at night which she hasnt done in a long time now wearing pullups to bed and still saturating the bed (ive tried restricting fluids in the evening) she isnt just po.oping... when she soils her pants she puts it EVERYWHERE and does it anywhere (even in the local public pool)

Her behavior had also completely changed she has complete meltdowns over very very minor things that would never have bothered her. She has also become very abusive towards me hitting swearing.

I took her to the doctors and the gp saif probably constipation (i dont think so, im an rn and it doesnt at all appear to be constipation)

Hes ordered xrays and ultrasounds

But what about the behavior??

Hes doesnt even seem concerned that this is completely no my usual child.

Im now beginning to wonder if this may be autism.

She was a very social child as a toddler but now keeps to herself.

Can anyone please give me some advice.

Im really struggling with the behaviours from both my children recently .

Nothing in their routine, life etc has changed or happened.
    Last edited by Strugglecity; 22-07-2016 at 19:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry to hear that op. Could she be getting bullied at school by chance? Or have anxiety over something?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes...my first (and probably worst) thought is that could there be something going on that you don't know about, that has resulted in these behavioral changes? Have there been any big life changes? Was there a distinct start point?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you both so much for the replies.

That too was my first thought and i have thought quite alot about any changes or anything that may have happened and i honestly cant think of anything, there also hasnt been any changes everything has been quite the same for the last 3.5 years (house, family members consistent etc) at school the teacher always stops me and tells me how fantastic she is that she is the most enthusiastic, helpful, helps other students etc.

You dont think it could be autism?? More an event or something?? That has occured to me just i couldnt think of anything that could trigger this behavior.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Could she be picking things up from her sister ?

sorry I can't offer any advice. It must be such a difficult time for your family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    OP, I don't have any answers at such but...if it was ASD wouldn't you expect to see some continuity in her problems behaviours across both school and home?

Is her Teacher still reporting that there's been no noticeable change at school?

What State are you in? Have you thought about calling the Parentline in your State?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Could she maybe be envious of the attention her sister gets due to her ASD?

I grew up with a brother who has an intellectual disability and I was jealous of the extra time my mum spent with him (taking him to therapies etc). Silly I know, but I was only young and didn't understand that my mum had to do these things and she loved us both the same.

Perhaps the behaviour is her way of trying to shift the attention to her? I could be wrong, but thought it was worth a mention.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to hear about this difficult time big hugs!

I don't have any advice as I don't have experience with ASD, but I'm just curious if your older daughter started having ASD behaviours suddenly, and that's why she was diagnosed at 6, or if it was suspected from much earlier on and only confirmed when she was 6?

I would assume that if your younger daughter has been acting "perfect" and hitting all her milestones until now, then it couldn't be autism? Maybe as others have suggested, she could be trying to get attention..?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm not an ASD expert but I wouldn't have thought that signs just suddenly appear that late??? My sister has ASD but is older than me so had been showing signs as long as I can remember but from what my mom says she was always showing some signs.

I am leaning more towards something has happened that you don't know about that is making her act out or like Degrassi suggested she is attention seeking because of her sister. I used to think my mom favored my sister more and although I didn't act out I can definitely remember thinking it and it upsetting me. Of course my mom was just doing what she needed to do, it wasn't favoritism at all but when you're little you don't understand. Can you get a referral to see a child therapist to maybe help get out of her what is wrong? Has she had a change in behavior at school? I would think they would speak with you if they noticed something.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (23-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the replies i really appreciate other possible ideas.

Asd was only suggested by a school teacher when my older dd was six... i had no idea... even though she had been seeing a child health nurse every 2 weeks for the first 3 years as i was a young mum this was an optional thing for support so the same child health nurse saw her for 3 years. My dd was also in several studies with the childrens hospital from birth looking at development etc they used to have development people come out and ask a million questions about hitting milestones social development etc. And neither of these mentioned even once about anything.

Maybe it is an attention thing. My older dd has at least 4 therapies fortnightly and my younger dd has mentioned things about wishing she had appointments to go to. Thanks so much for the advice.