+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Who wears contacts?

How much do they cost you? What type do you have? Pros and cons?

I'm thinking of finally making the switch from glasses, but I know I'll look "weird" without them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I do, and I love them! Been wearing them for about 10 years now with no problem. I wear disposable Bauch and Lomb ones that last a month. A box of six costs about $150, I get just over half back on health insurance too. Mine are toric lenses for astigmatism and short sightedness. Your optometrist can advise the best ones, they gave me some samples to try to see what's most comfortable.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Flower78 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (21-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DP does. He's blind as a bat without them. But he likes to switch between his glasses and contact lenses. He buys them online from quicklens I think it is. Buys the acuvue 60 pack for $106 including delivery, these are the daily disposable ones. Works out way cheaper then going to an optometrist and he claims it back on his health fund

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    My DP does. He's blind as a bat without them. But he likes to switch between his glasses and contact lenses. He buys them online from quicklens I think it is. Buys the acuvue 60 pack for $106 including delivery, these are the daily disposable ones. Works out way cheaper then going to an optometrist and he claims it back on his health fund
    Can I ask why does he switch from contacts to glasses?
    I also don't have health insurance so cost is a factor, hoping to source cheaper online once I find a type I'm comfortable with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wore them for 17 years. Loved them. No way could i go back to glasses ever. I had the ones you wear day & night, sleep in them and u change them once a month. In the end i had eye surgery so don't need them anymore.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do. After much trial and error I've settled on the daily disposables (acuvue). I still prefer to wear glasses day to day but I like contacts for swimming, beach, holidays, special occasions etc.
    The daily ones are about $60 for 3 months, I buy online from spec savers & they often have sales.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Who wears contacts?

It's those things- beach, swimming, special occasions where I really find glasses a hassle. I can't see anything without them but you can't exactly swim with them. And they don't match a sexy dress!
    And the little things are really starting to grate- raindrops on them when it's raining, steaming up when cooking, fumbling for them in the middle of the night, how I can't fall asleep watching TV as they are digging in when laying on my side, I can't wear headbands, knocking my glasses into me when rough housing with my girls.....

I can't convince dh yet to look at corrective surgery and I would need to travel to Sydney (live regional) to get it done.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 21-07-2016 at 15:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    I do. After much trial and error I've settled on the daily disposables (acuvue). I still prefer to wear glasses day to day but I like contacts for swimming, beach, holidays, special occasions etc.
    The daily ones are about $60 for 3 months, I buy online from spec savers & they often have sales.
    This is pretty much what I do. I started off with the ones that last 2 weeks (but take out while sleeping) and I found the daily cleaning a total pain and towards the end of the fortnight they'd get less comfortable. I switched to the daily disposables. They are good but after 8-10 hours they lose their moisture. I use acuvue, one eye has the astigmatism lens and the other eye has their normal acuvue moist lens.
    I mainly wear glasses just because they are easier (and cheaper!) but if I feel like not wearing glasses, doing something sporty, going out etc then I will wear contacts.
    I'd love to get eye surgery as I'm so over wearing glasses but it freaks me out a bit and it costs so much.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitterFarts View Post
    I wore them for 17 years. Loved them. No way could i go back to glasses ever. I had the ones you wear day & night, sleep in them and u change them once a month. In the end i had eye surgery so don't need them anymore.
    Do you mind telling me where did you have eye surgery? I'm seriously thinking about this. My nearest city is Melbourne, also wondering the cost and how scary the procedure is?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Can I ask why does he switch from contacts to glasses?
    I also don't have health insurance so cost is a factor, hoping to source cheaper online once I find a type I'm comfortable with.
    He finds his eyes get dry so likes to give the contacts a rest for a few days and wears the glasses. If where home he normally has his glasses on so not to waste the contacts.

http://www.quicklens.com.au/index/in...FYGVvAodmakNTg

This is the website he uses its in Singapore. He ordered on 7/7 and it arrived at home on 18/7. So the turn around is pretty fast.

If you know you magnification in the contacts order a pack and see how you go. A few of his friends use this site also and no one has any issues at all. Delivery cost is a flat rate of 9.95 it doesn't matter how much you order. He ordered one lot to see how he went and they where fine (acuvue moist) then does a bulk order when hi supply gets low.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post: