+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Penthrox and breastfeeding

Has anyone had to take penthrox before for the dentist or any other reason, and were you still breastfeeding?

I need to have a tooth removed and im thinking this is going to be my best option as it seems to have a very short half-life however im finding it hard to find information on how long i have to wait until i can breastfeed again. All the other drugs to calm my nerves have a long half-life so wouldn't be able to feed for 1-2 days depending on the drug.

Bub is almost 15 months old and will bottle feed but still very much prefers boob and gets upset if she can't have it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How many times a day is Bub feeding?
    Do you just need something to calm you or pain relief as well?
    Have you asked your dentist?
    Try the website lactmed, or ring the drug information pharmacist at your local women's hospital.
    Even from just a quick search I found that although diazepam is not ideal (long half life), you could ask the dentist for a prescription for alprazolam or oxazepam which would do the same job but have a much shorter half life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could u go g/a? Or gas ( nitrous) then u would only be out for the time ur not up to it.... Otherwise if Bub is 15 mths I wouldn't be concerned if u take a sedative they'll be ok if get a little in milk...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Penthrox and breastfeeding

Quote Originally Posted by Lisau77 View Post
    Could u go g/a? Or gas ( nitrous) then u would only be out for the time ur not up to it.... Otherwise if Bub is 15 mths I wouldn't be concerned if u take a sedative they'll be ok if get a little in milk...
    Do you mean a general anaesthetic? If so those drugs remain in your system long after you wake up. Most generals would include midazolam, opioids and propofol.

Most dentists will completely numb the pain with local so you just need a tiny dose of something to chill out.

The main issue with benzos and breastfeeding is sedation in the infant. While reasonably uncommon, it can cause major issues if bub is very drowsy.
    Maybe @J37 may be able to offer more info than me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This may be of interest to you. Jack Newman is a leading expert in all things breastfeeding....

http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...gename=doc-B-M

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had my wisdom tooth out when DS was 9.5 months. I underwent a twilight sedation. I breastfed before I went in and then again in the evening. He was offered a bottle during the day

Personally I'd give mothersafe a call and ask them or your dentist

7. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

SSecret Squirrel  (23-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummymaybe View Post
    Do you mean a general anaesthetic? If so those drugs remain in your system long after you wake up. Most generals would include midazolam, opioids and propofol.

Most dentists will completely numb the pain with local so you just need a tiny dose of something to chill out.

The main issue with benzos and breastfeeding is sedation in the infant. While reasonably uncommon, it can cause major issues if bub is very drowsy.
    There are benzos with a much shorter half life that may only require a few hours before Bub can feed again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had 4 wisdom teeth out while breastfeeding DD2 when she was a couple of months old. The surgeon used twilight sedation. I was told it was safe for breastfeeding.

If you have any doubts, the ABA should be able to tell you if the drug is breastfeeding friendly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummymaybe View Post

No, there's plenty of options which don't.... People are forgetting most who go vaginal births suck on nitrous, which dentists have too and if ur spinal fails or it's too urgent u get a g/a for delivery Cs.....There's so many options and there's actually some drugs for g/a which are shorter acting than common twilight ones....
    Benzos aren't well metabolised well by neonates ( immature liver if I recall my pharmacology) but unless I recall wrong we're not talking about a neonate here.... Personally I don't like the way benzos make me feel so all if my g/a or sedations have been without them.... It's possible! That or find a dentist u truely believe won't hurt u so ur not freaked.... I have one of those now do I'm not nervous at all.... Unless it's the sound and not just pain....