getting paid - wdyt | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default getting paid - wdyt

I'm currently on mat leave, due to return to work on 1 sept. my old boss sold his business and I'll be going back and working for a new guy (same building). they're currently in the phase of office transition...all the logistical stuff like moving files, culling paperwork etc. a colleague texted me on Monday to ask about some client related stuff. he finished off his text (half jokingly) saying if I felt like it, there was plenty to be done in terms of filing, culling etc. I'm an accountant, so filing etc is not part of my usual job description.

anyway I thought about it and concluded if I went in for a few hours it could be good as a getting warmed up to go back to work plus gets me out the house (dh will look after ds on this day) plus I'll make a bit of money.

I texted the colleague back to say I was keen. I then followed up the new boss as I'd not heard anything and wanted to know whether I had Friday free for planning purposes.

in my email I stated I was free to come in and lend a hand etc. in the second paragraph, I stated I was happy to discuss a day rate or just invoice him as I have an abn. either way, I felt the email communicated the expectation this was paid work and not me just volunteering my time for free.

he responded and said yes see you Friday "sometime". no mention of pay.

the fact that no specific hours were stated plus dodging the remuneration aspect makes me think he thinks I'm coming in for free (therefore not fazed how many hours I do, when I come in/go home).

I'm now in a pickle as to what to do. I can't really pull out as I'll look stupid. I'm annoyed he's not addressed this point in my email and left me baffled. do I email again and seek clarity? I'm planning to email to ask about whether it's ok to use the undercover parking so could easily slot it into the email?

dh said if it's unpaid I'll prob have to just go in but should only stay a couple of hours, rather than most of the day as originally intended.

so any ideas on how to tackle this? I'm
    annoyed at myself for even getting into such a situation. I thought it'd be a good way to earn a few extra bob before I go back in September and now it's all gone super awkward.

help me please hubbers!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default getting paid - wdyt

Don't overthink it. You don't know what this new boss is like. Maybe he is very lax/casual about this sort of thing and figures you will discuss it at some point in time. I wouldn't think any business owner, particularly of an accounting firm, would expect people to work for free. I would come in, do the work based on what is needed and then maybe casually ask as you leave, whether you should send him an invoice, or whether he prefers to pay you a salary during the normal pay cycle.

I think it might only be awkward in your head, not in his eyes. Worst case scenario, you find out it ISNT paid work (very unlikely, particularly as you asked in writing about remuneration), and you can say to the boss next week, or after the pay cycle, "sorry, I didn't realise this wasn't going to be paid work. If I was back from maternity leave I would be happy to lend a hand with the filing during work hours [read: this isn't in my job description so don't expect me to do this on a regular basis], but if it's unpaid I cant justify being away from my baby. I'll see you in September".
    Last edited by witherwings; 20-07-2016 at 21:40. Reason: Edited to remove quote

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

JR03  (23-07-2016),turquoisecoast  (20-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    From that exchange of emails/texts, I would assume that was paid work and that the details will be discussed when you go in.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (20-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it where me I would want to clarify either a day rate or an hourly rate. It's not just your time going into the office but it's also making sure DH is organised to have DS at home for the day and your time going in and out of the office aswell.

It would be good to get your head around it though with the new transition and the new boss aswell so you know what to expect of him when you go back in sept

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    When you are on PPL you are entitled to do 10 keeping in touch days, which you are paid at your normal rate, I would assume that's what's this is and that you'll be paid accordingly. That's the expectation I would set with him too.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PinkTutu For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (21-07-2016),Bel0v3d  (20-07-2016),turquoisecoast  (20-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If it had been me I would've emailed back straight away to clarify.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @Mod-Degrassi sorry two versions of the same thread have posted...could you please amalgamate? thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe a follow up phone call to ask about the car park and ask him then how he'd like to arrange the pay. That way he can't choose to ignore your question as he's on the spot

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SummerFun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    @Mod-Degrassi sorry two versions of the same thread have posted...could you please amalgamate? thanks!
    Just saw this - I've locked your other thread and I'll merge them in the morning when I'm back on my PC 👍

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    thanks!