+ Reply to Thread
    AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week

Default Domestic airline recommendations

Dh, ds (2.5) and I will be heading to Brisbane from Melbourne in Sept for a week holiday/business trip.

I've never booked flights before so would love some reviews/tips/recommendations on the different airlines!

Also, will ds need ID for a domestic flight? He doesn't have a passport.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Shouldn't need ID if he has his own seat. Before 2 I used to take birth certificate just in case.

We usually fly the cheaper and best times of Virgin or Qantas because they are the only carriers that fly out of Canberra. I've had good and bad experiences with both. If they are similar prices I usually go Qantas.
    Last edited by smallpotatoes; 20-07-2016 at 20:45.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (20-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Your DS won't need any ID to fly domestically. You will have to pay for a seat for him as he is over 2 (under 2 is free but must sit on your lap).

Personally I prefer Qantas, however I always go with whatever is cheapest at the time I want to fly (and/or best schedule/flight times).

I also prefer Virgin over Jetstar for the 'cheaper' airlines - I just find their service more friendly and planes a bit cleaner/better. I have never flown Tiger and I never would.

If you can be flexible avoid peak business flight times (early morning and evening) as it will be very busy in the airport and on the plane.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tips for the flight - my kids always get a new book/toy/activity to break up the monotony. One of our favourites is a magna doodle. No lost pencils down the seat!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I personally prefer qantas as you get a meal and drinks included (handy as by the time you allow for checkin, boarding, flight time and getting out at your destination you will need some food and if you have to buy anything onboard or at the airport it's generally expensive anyway) and their luggage allowances are more generous.
    I haven't flown with my DD yet but adults don't need a passport for domestic flights and you don't even have to present ID anymore for check in so it shouldn't be a problem.
    As for tips i would take all manner of tricks to occupy your DS! And the pp idea of a brand new toy is great. Whatever can help distract him use it! I'm looking at a long day of travel with my DD next month (flying from Adelaide to Gladstone plus a long drive) and I'll be taking a tablet with a couple of apps pre-loaded (she has never used before so don't know how this will go but I'll give it a go) and some children's tv like play school or something. I'll also take a book and couple of small toys and LOTS of food to keep her occupied.
    Hope you have a great trip

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    it's a shorter flight, but Virgin now includes complimentary snacks from CBR to BNE.

We love having a meal service. My DD has flown domestically a fair bit - the joys of interstate family - and at that stage she was very familiar of the routine of the flight attendants coming around, putting down the tray etc. Meal service helps break up the flight.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post: