+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Sleep training mummies advice

I only really want people who are on board with sleep training to read and respond to this thread please.
    What do you do when your little one goes through a bad spell such as teething or a cold and their sleep goes to pot? Do you
    1. Try to alleviate the problem ie give some panadol, unblock nose etc and then stick with usual method of sleep training such as cc or cio.
    2. Give in (such as feed, rock, cuddle to sleep) as they seem to need the extra comfort but know that it will set their sleeping back majorly and will take a while to get back on track later?
    I'm just finding it really hard to stay consistent when it seems that ds2 needs the extra comfort while he's feeling unwell but I know that giving in a tiny bit makes things so much harder later. For example usually he goes to sleep in his cot with no fuss or crying but after a couple of days of a cold he wouldn't settle at all for his nap today and I ended up holding him so he could as least sleep. I know now that tonight is going to be an absolute nightmare (last night it took about 20 mins for him to go to sleep) but wondering if I just need to do what needs to be done for a few days then deal with the consequences then?
    What do others do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I stopped sleep training with my first when she was ill.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (20-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD has had a couple of things (like sickness) that have come up lately and we definitely relaxed. We're not "training" as much as we're "maintaining" these days but we still try and stick to our original sleep plan as much as we can.But she's been miserable and needed more hugs, so we let her snuggle with us on the couch before bed, she slept with us one night etc. Now she's been we had a couple of tough(ish) nights where she woke a few times and tried to get up, but we went back to the sleep routine and she's back to normal again now

Edited to add my post makes it sound like I don't cuddle her haha I totally do! Just have a set in stone bedtime routine (that still involves lots of cuddles )
    Last edited by Anjalee; 20-07-2016 at 15:49.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (20-07-2016),nh2489  (20-07-2016)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have no expierence with sleep schools or sleep training, but my motto is just do what works. A proper nights sleep is important for everyone, so I would do what works for you and for bub. I really don't think it would be too hard to get back into a routine after a couple of nights of illness,/ teething, interruptions. marie.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (20-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    DD has had a couple of things (like sickness) that have come up lately and we definitely relaxed. We're not "training" as much as we're "maintaining" these days but we still try and stick to our original sleep plan as much as we can.But she's been miserable and needed more hugs, so we let her snuggle with us on the couch before bed, she slept with us one night etc. Now she's been we had a couple of tough(ish) nights where she woke a few times and tried to get up, but we went back to the sleep routine and she's back to normal again now

Edited to add my post makes it sound like I don't cuddle her haha I totally do! Just have a set in stone bedtime routine (that still involves lots of cuddles )
    I know it's hard to write a post about sleep training without it sounding like we just leave our babies alone with no cuddles and comfort etc which is obviously far from the truth! More like I just don't usually let him fall asleep while cuddling but yes we cuddle a lot (I'm really into baby wearing so we also gets lots of cuddles whilst carrying him).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (20-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    I know it's hard to write a post about sleep training without it sounding like we just leave our babies alone with no cuddles and comfort etc which is obviously far from the truth! More like I just don't usually let him fall asleep while cuddling but yes we cuddle a lot (I'm really into baby wearing so we also gets lots of cuddles whilst carrying him).
    Totally! I won't lie, once upon a time I didn't understand sleep training. But I was blessed with a good sleeper with my first then my second was terrible! I tried everything but she definitely needed sleep training. Best thing we ever did. We're all so much happier and healthier for it but I still somehow feel I need to defend myself even before anyone ever says anything... not that anyone ever has!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (20-07-2016),nh2489  (20-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi again . I have been doing much reading myself of this very topic of late. I am in the midst of sleep training my almost 9 month old after regressing again after yet another bloody cold.

From what I can gather, first reinforce independent sleep. If this is failing and bubs is distressed (not just fussing or grizzling) then offer comfort, feeding to sleep etc, your hard work will not be undone unless it continues for more than 2 nights.

Dd2 got a another cold night 4 of sleep training. After 6 nights I have discovered this morning she is cutting her first tooth. I have continued on with the training with some panadol before bed. She is still her typical self in the morning so it hasn't hurt her.

Babies are always teething and sick (especially if they have siblings) so you'd never get any bloody sleep or get anywhere if you use it as a reason to not "maintain" your stance. It never seems to stop others from sleeping through. If its a serious illness, their feeding during the day is poor or they are overly distressed then yes give your child what they need. But always encourage independent sleep in the first instance.

Hope that helps. Good luck xx
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 20-07-2016 at 16:40.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (20-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll pm a link that I googled last night on the topic

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (20-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

I just wanted to add I would just love to feed/cuddle dd2 to sleep when she's sick, and not worry about it. But I find that she still continues to expect feeding to sleep/back to sleep and the night feelings continue and escalate long after she is better.
    I understand you completely, I struggle to remain consistent.
    I never had this issue with dd1 as she only had 2 colds before the age of 2, whereas dd2 seems to have a constant snotty nose that's never ending, thanks to dd1.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (20-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I just wanted to add I would just love to feed/cuddle dd2 to sleep when she's sick, and not worry about it. But I find that she still continues to expect feeding to sleep/back to sleep and the night feelings continue and escalate long after she is better.
    I understand you completely, I struggle to remain consistent.
    I never had this issue with dd1 as she only had 2 colds before the age of 2, whereas dd2 seems to have a constant snotty nose that's never ending, thanks to dd1.
    I seriously think we live in a parallel universe! Same with ds1, never had any issues with sleep when teething, hardly had any colds etc but this little one seems to get one thing after another. And yes his sleeping gets so disrupted by the tiniest let up. It's just soooo hard not cuddling him to sleep when he's I'll but now I've just had to listen to a good 10 mins of crying while trying to get him to sleep. Knowing he can sleep all night and go down with no fuss at all when he's well makes it so frustrating! Now he's over the worst of the cold I feel a bit happier being stronger and trying hard not to give in!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (20-07-2016)