+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It sounds odd to me. I'm totally ok with the teachers giving my DD a hug if she needed it etc, but massaging is just weird.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Even if the intentions are innocent, guidelines / rules exist for a reason.

This makes me realllllly uncomfortable..not cool... I know if I were asked as a young kid by a teacher I would be too scared to say no. If it's done on a volunteer basis, that's still tricky as then I'd feel that i were being "bad" by never putting my hand up. Maybe I would've felt like I had to. Not sure.

Not an appropriate use of power imo. I'd be very upset if my child's teacher were doing this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was in grade 6 it was a thing with our teacher. At the time it didn't feel weird or inappropriate as it felt 100% non-sexu@l. We all liked her. But I can understand why it isn't appropriate. I hadn't even thought of this in years until reading through the thread.

I do see why it's unprofessional. I did work experience at a primary school and an 8 year old boy who was sitting next to me on the floor started to rub my leg I didn't really know what to say, being quite young myself at the time, so told him that he shouldn't touch people like that. I don't know if that was a good response, but he stopped.

I guess I don't really understand how a teacher can feel okay having that sort of contact with a child that isn't theirs, whether completely innocent or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I remember this happening in my year 2 classroom as a child. The students would literally scramble to be the one or two chosen to massage the teachers shoulders and play with her hair... I never volunteered even though I liked my teacher very much. I think as a teacher and parent now I would be very uncomfortable with this occurring in any classroom. It is unprofessional in my view. Young children need to be taught about appropriate touch and protective behaviours and I believe massaging your teacher crosses some boundaries for me.

As others have mentioned an appropriate pat on the back and hugs when a child is very upset or has initiated it is fine but what is the purpose of massaging the teacher??? It just sits so off with me...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirtgirl For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (21-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wtf no. So wrong. If I found out this was happening in ds school I would be complaining very loudly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtgirl View Post
    I remember this happening in my year 2 classroom as a child. The students would literally scramble to be the one or two chosen to massage the teachers shoulders and play with her hair... I never volunteered even though I liked my teacher very much. I think as a teacher and parent now I would be very uncomfortable with this occurring in any classroom. It is unprofessional in my view. Young children need to be taught about appropriate touch and protective behaviours and I believe massaging your teacher crosses some boundaries for me.

As others have mentioned an appropriate pat on the back and hugs when a child is very upset or has initiated it is fine but what is the purpose of massaging the teacher??? It just sits so off with me...
    Another thing to add to this too, so many schools are banning hugging these days between students, seems wrong that there can be contact between a student and a teacher.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    this sounds very abnormal and i'd be very uncomfortable with my child being involved in this. they're at school to learn, what educational purpose does massaging another student or a teacher serve? if the kids were massaging eachother in recess or lunch break and it was of their own accord, I'd prob be more ok with it.

why is a teacher making kids massage her? that's very unusual.

agree with harvs, whose needs is this serving? definitely not those of the kids by the sounds of it.

I'd be getting stuck into the teacher and alerting the principal. totally not on if you ask me.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Students massaging teacher? ??

Id not be happy with my daughter doing this if I didn't like the teacher. I might not be comfortable at all I can't decide. But I do remember us massaging our teacher, brushing her hair, she had a special massage thing that has nodules on it and we would all clamour to have a go, this was grade 5/6 as well. Probably not acceptable in this day and age though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Might pay to drop in and have a chat with the teacher. Depending on her age, it may not have occurred to her that its inappropriate (if she's older, some teachers did this 20 years ago).
    I would suggest giving the teacher a chance to rectify the issue before taking it to the principal. I know that if a parent had an issue with something their child said I was doing, I would rather have the parents speak to me directly and let me deal with it first. However, if you bring it up and nothing changes, a word to the principal may be worth your while.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    When I was at school it was not uncommon for kids in the class to give the teachers a shoulder rub (I only saw it with female teachers though). It was never once asked for by the teacher, it was always instigated by the student and it was usually at times like roll call in the morning/afternoon or when the teacher was reading a book to the class.

My MIL was a primary teacher and over the years she's had kids to the same thing to her. She drew the line at kids touching her legs/feet though, for some reason some kids liked to stroke her legs. She didn't like it and had to keep telling the kids in question to not touch her legs/feet.