+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Returning a foundation (M.A.C)

Does anyone know what M.A.C are like regarding returning products you're not happy with?

I purchased a foundation ($49) less than a fortnight ago and to be honest, it's really not working for me. I intended to buy the face & body foundation I was familiar with, but I was curious about the water weight foundation. After speaking with the sales consultant and having a little try, I bought the mineralize foundation. Big mistake (I've since read reviews of this product and there are quite a few negative ones).

I don't believe I kept the receipt (though I have a statement showing the purchase on my card), and I would just like to exchange it for the face & body (which I believe is the same price).

Do you think they'll let me do this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not exactly sure but I wouldn't think so unless the product is actually faulty and it sounds more like it's just not the right one for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    They may have a customer satisfaction policy but under consumer laws I don't think you'd have grounds. You were given the opportunity to try the product and have now changed your mind.

Was it a department store or MAC shop?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've tried it before with MAC (got home and it looked totally different in real light than in the store) and they wouldn't let me because it had been opened and there was nothing wrong with it. But it was a Myer MAC, so they might be different store to store?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    They may have a customer satisfaction policy but under consumer laws I don't think you'd have grounds. You were given the opportunity to try the product and have now changed your mind.

Was it a department store or MAC shop?
    It was the MAC counter in a David Jones.

I had a look at their online store and they accept returns within 14 days if the product doesn't meet your satisfaction. Not sure if the same would apply for store purchases (?)

I guess I can only ask.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Returning a foundation (M.A.C)

I doubt they would. I bought a powder from the mac store and the salesgirl put the wrong colour in my bag. It wasn't until I got home and opened the compact that I noticed. I took it back (I think it was without the receipt) and they refused to exchange it even though it was their fault!! I sent a complaint email to Mac and they offered to exchange it but the process would have been so drawn out that it just wasn't worth it. I told them I wouldn't be buying mac anymore. A-holes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BB77 View Post
    I doubt they would. I bought a powder from the mac store and the salesgirl put the wrong colour in my bag. It wasn't until I got home and opened the compact that I noticed. I took it back (I think it was without the receipt) and they refused to exchange it even though it was their fault!! I sent a complaint email to Mac and they offered to exchange it but the process would have been so drawn out that it just wasn't worth it. I told them I wouldn't be buying mac anymore. A-holes.
    I've found their customer service has been shocking the last few years. I used to buy only MAC, and I buy a fair amount of makeup too. It's not like I go in there and waste anyone's time. Last time I went to buy BB cream and primer, knew exactly what I wanted and 2 salespeople were just standing around talking so I approached them and they looked so put out and were so rude. I told them not to worry and went to Mecca instead.

They've also changed their foundation formula recently I think, studio fix has gone dry and flaky. So off them these days. So glad we can get urban decay here now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I work in a shop that sells cosmetics and honestly I think your reasoning falls under "change of mind". Most stores don't offer refunds/exchanges for change of mind unless it's within a certain timeframe, unopened, unused and with receipt.
    As there is nothing wrong with the product, you tried it in the store and have been using it for a fortnight you aren't entitled to a refund under consumer law. The store itself might have more generous refund policies?
    Maybe if you contact MAC directly & explain why you don't like the product they might be able to do something for you?
    If it was faulty, or they gave you the wrong colour or a different product to what you tried in the store then you are most certainly entitled to an exchange.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's so funny @Anjalee, I'm exactly the same! Used to only buy mac, but ever since that incident I buy pretty much solely from mecca too. Love urban decay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm thinking I'll just not bother.

It's just one of those unfortunate things - I rarely buy anything expensive in the way of cosmetics, so I feel like I've wasted my money!

It's not a problem with colour - it's a fine match. It's the way it sits on the skin that's just, well...awful to be honest.