+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Should I stay or move??

I am currently living in Darwin and due in March. I am just about to make a major decision to stay in Darwin and get maternity leave and do it alone without family support or to move down to southern Gold Coast close to my mum and other family. Moving would mean I would give up my maternity leave (I am on a contract which ends in January) and just get paid parental leave. My partner is English and a carpenter and is hating working in the heat- which is somewhat unbearable. I'm worried that the move is really going to hurt us financially but having my mum to help me would mean I could go back to relief teaching after 6 months and would make my partner a happier person. I have always been financially independent but this may mean I am depending on my mum to help me out. Can anyone give me some advice about being close to family and doing it alone and any similar experiences?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Could you work until January and move back to the Gold Coast after you finish up? That way you can get your maternity leave plus move? If you have the family support, I say take it. I moved away from family late in pregnancy and as much as I got on with things, I still would have loved them to be around.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

Simpam81  (19-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd be doing what @BabyG4 has suggested. Work until January and move after that to be closer to your family and a support network.

Plus Darwin has a higher cost of living compared to the Gold Coast so really in the end your financial situation would be better and like you have said you could go back to relief teaching after 6 months and I'm sure your DP would be able to find work aswell considering the infrastructure that is going on with commonwealth games.

I don't think it would hurt your relationship as he has no family here at all? It would actually make you stronger because your getting away from higher cost of living and no support which is far more stressful situation

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Simpam81  (19-07-2016),SuperGranny  (19-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. I'm just not sure as I am a teacher and I think you can only get maternity leave for the government if you are intending to return to work. I'm not sure. How many weeks before your due date can you take maternity leave? The other dilemma is that I have heard you shouldn't fly after 28 weeks by then I will have passed that date??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Your teaching work will wind up in December when school is out. Move after that. You can continue to fly as long as you have medical clearance from your doctors.

With ppl from Centrelink you can put a claim in a couple months before your due date. As for teaching maternity leave if you resign obviously you won't get it but if your application is for mat leave they can't refuse it.

Moving is always huge but to have family support behind you both is far better then having non at all

You have to take that chance to be closer to home and then be somewhere where your not happy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Simpam81  (19-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Should I stay or move??

Could you tell them that you are intending on returning to work and then when your maternity leave payments finish then resign?
    Last edited by lulupetal; 19-07-2016 at 17:44.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lulupetal For This Useful Post:

amyd  (24-07-2016),Simpam81  (19-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maternity leave usually starts 6 weeks prior to your due date. You are entitled to it regardless of intending on coming back or not. I worked government took maternity leave, moved states and took maternity leave again without returning to work. As for flying, each airline is different but it's usually around 32-34weeks. Your ob can always give you a clearance to fly.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

Simpam81  (19-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you confirmed that you will be paid department mat leave? I would check because if you are on contract you technically are no longer employed by the department once your contract expires at the end of Jan.

As for the move, I would do it. Lots of things in the 'pros' column so it seems like the best option.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Simpam81  (19-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    your partner could move a month earlier too to get things ready for you and avoid working in the Darwin heat!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    As for flying you can get a letter from the dr allowing yo to fly up to 34wks im pretty sure