+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Sonia Kruger - glass house?

I just want to make one more point and then I think I'm going to do my best to let this thread go. As of 2012, 37 of the 38 people prosecuted on terrorist charges in Australia were Australian born. With that in mind, how does changing migration laws make any sense?
    Last edited by BettyV; 19-07-2016 at 18:48.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

Alicia111  (19-07-2016),amyd  (24-07-2016),babyno1onboard  (19-07-2016),gingermillie  (19-07-2016),GlitterFarts  (19-07-2016),JR03  (23-07-2016),smallpotatoes  (19-07-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (19-07-2016),TheGooch  (19-07-2016),witherwings  (19-07-2016),Yoghurt  (19-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    While I was born and raised here, my parents had migrated here from the Middle East. I actually agree with SK's comments. The reason my parents left their home is because of the chaos that Muslims caused and are still causing back there. I realise I'm probably going to get knocked down for saying this, but I'm over being politically correct, because it hasn't got us anywhere. Things are and will continue to get worse, just like it did in my parents country.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sashas girl For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (20-07-2016),kim85  (21-07-2016),SuperGranny  (20-07-2016),ThreePeasPlease  (25-07-2016)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by sashas girl View Post
    While I was born and raised here, my parents had migrated here from the Middle East. I actually agree with SK's comments. The reason my parents left their home is because of the chaos that Muslims caused and are still causing back there. I realise I'm probably going to get knocked down for saying this, but I'm over being politically correct, because it hasn't got us anywhere. Things are and will continue to get worse, just like it did in my parents country.
    But things are better for your parents here, no? Are you glad they came here? Wouldn't you want to give others that same opportunity?

Not attacking you at all, genuinely interested in your answers.

ETA sorry, just realised I assumed that your heritage is Muslim/Arabic. Apologies if not!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

A&S  (19-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerKat View Post
    I read that in an Australian newspaper only recently but I can't find the source so I've found this one for you instead http://www.timesofisrael.com/450-of-...s-study-shows/
    When the world uses different terms for terrorist attacks when committed by white people, such as "hate crime", the statistics are going to be highly skewed.

And to address the freedom of speech debate...freedom of speech allows you to voice your opinion without being arrested or imprisoned. It protects you from the government, not individuals debating with you. No one is infringing on anyone's freedom of speech in this thread.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (19-07-2016),JustJaq  (19-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Without wanting to get involved with the debate, I doubt you are the only one who feels that way @sashas girl - contrary to what you see on this thread.

I think the recent swing towards 'protectionist' parties/politicians is a pretty clear indicator that not everyone in society is accepting of difference, as ideal as that thought may be.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (20-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    I'm also reminded of the internment camps we had during both world wars. I don't think many Australians would like to be reminded of when we rounded up our own citizens because people were scared of them, not because they posed a threat.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    But things are better for your parents here, no? Are you glad they came here? Wouldn't you want to give others that same opportunity?

Not attacking you at all, genuinely interested in your answers.

ETA sorry, just realised I assumed that your heritage is Muslim/Arabic. Apologies if not!
    Yes, my parents are glad that they came here, but at the same time, they have left their home. I am of middle eastern descent, but not Muslim. The reason they 'were' happy that they came here was because they felt safe here. They aren't feeling so safe these days, because they know what could potentially happen if Muslims get their way here, like they have in their home country. I've been back to visit my country of heritage and it's an amazing, beautiful place, and although I do love Australia with all my heart, it scares me to think what could become of it because of the increasing Muslim population. I've seen it first hand.

'Wouldn't you want to give others that same opportunity?'

Yes, but they need to adapt to our way of living, just like my parents did when they came here. They learnt English, they adopted the Australian way of life, and made an effort to fit in. Never once have they received any handouts (not that that's a bad thing to do if you really need it), but worked very hard and made a life for themselves and their children. I'm very proud of them. That's how it should be.
    Last edited by sashas girl; 19-07-2016 at 19:55.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sashas girl For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (20-07-2016),bluehawaii  (19-07-2016),SuperGranny  (20-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Yes, my parents are glad that they came here, but at the same time, they have left their home. I am of middle eastern descent, but not Muslim. The reason they 'were' happy that they came here was because they felt safe here. They aren't feeling so safe these days, because they know what could potentially happen if Muslims get their way here, like they have in their home country. I've been back to visit my country of heritage and it's an amazing, beautiful place, and although I do love Australia with all my heart, it scares me to think what could become of it because of the increasing Muslim population. I've seen it first hand.

'Wouldn't you want to give others that same opportunity?'

Yes, but they need to adapt to our way of living, just like my parents did when they came here. They learnt English, they adopted the Australian way of life, and made an effort to fit in. Never once have they received any handouts (not that that's a bad thing to do if you really need it), but worked very hard and made a life for themselves and their children. I'm very proud of them. That's how it should be.
    And you believe all/most Muslim immigrants wouldn't make the same effort for a peaceful life that your parents have?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    And you believe all/most Muslim immigrants wouldn't make the same effort for a peaceful life that your parents have?
    Honestly, from what I've seen, I do not believe so.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sashas girl For This Useful Post:

ThreePeasPlease  (25-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Trying my best to stay out of this thread as it's just too personal/ emotive for me but I could've written what you've written word for word about my parents, who are Muslim. I'm extremely proud of them too. Just because you or your parents have had bad experiences with Muslims doesn't make all of us bad, you can't paint an entire group of billions of people with one brush.

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

A&S  (19-07-2016),BettyV  (19-07-2016),Chippa  (19-07-2016),GlitterFarts  (19-07-2016),harvs  (19-07-2016),HollyGolightly81  (19-07-2016),JustJaq  (19-07-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (19-07-2016)