+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    But it's the same sentiment and same issues that we are discussing in this thread that is the backbone of his campaign. If you support that type of rhetoric then you are supporting the ability for people like Trump to come to power. It's called Nationalism.
    People are scared. As I've said, whilst I don't agree with stopping Muslim immigration, she's hit on something that other Australians agree with. I think then that it is of vital importance that we discuss this. But shutting her down and saying nup, you're a racist Sonia and that is that - the end, then you've missed a great opportunity to educate.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (20-07-2016),J37  (19-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerKat View Post
    If you look at what has been happening in France over the past year (attacks on journalists, on innocent people at a concert, in Nice recently) I think it's reasonable that Australian's are concerned about that..... It boggles my mind that that wouldn't seem understandable even if you don't share those same fears.
    But we're not talking about France, we're talking about Australia

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (19-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    People are scared. As I've said, whilst I don't agree with stopping Muslim immigration, she's hit on something that other Australians agree with. I think then that it is of vital importance that we discuss this. But shutting her down and saying nup, you're a racist Sonia and that is that - the end, then you've missed a great opportunity to educate.
    And part of that education is showing how this type of rhetoric, which is ignorant and small minded, is back firing in other countries and causing more issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    But is he committing that act in the name of Christianity? Or is he a mentally deranged white person who happens to be Christian. You only have to look up on Wikipedia the number of terrorist attacks CLAIMED by IS to see that the sheer amount of attacks committed by their group doesn't even compare to the amount of non-Muslim terror attacks. I just don't see how people can deny the facts?? If you look at what has been happening in France over the past year (attacks on journalists, on innocent people at a concert, in Nice recently) I think it's reasonable that Australian's are concerned about that..... It boggles my mind that that wouldn't seem understandable even if you don't share those same fears.
    I'm worried about terror attacks yes, but I'm not worried about Muslims immigrating to Australia. The two don't go hand in hand to me.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (19-07-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (19-07-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (19-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    I'm worried about terror attacks yes, but I'm not worried about Muslims immigrating to Australia. The two don't go hand in hand to me.
    Yes the operative statement being TO YOU. To other Australian's, the number of Muslim immigrants directly correlates with the increased chance of a terrorist attack.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (19-07-2016),BlondeinBrisvegas  (20-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    But we're not talking about France, we're talking about Australia
    That's a bit unfair. The pp was bringing up a totally irrelevant point asking me if I wanted someone like Donald Trump leading our country. I was referencing recent terrorist attacks on a country that Australian's view as not all that dissimilar to ours.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (20-07-2016),ThreePeasPlease  (25-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyway I'm out. Talking to you ladies has been like bashing my head repeatedly against a brick wall haha! I know it's a bit of a competition to see who can be the most compassionate and most loving, but if you don't start opening your eyes to what the real issues are then we will be one very divided country. Before you try to shut down freedom of speech because you don't agree with the sentiments, think about what the ramifications of that is for our society. While we shouldn't discriminate based on colour or religion, we should be able to question the behaviours of groups regardless of their colour or religion.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (19-07-2016),BlondeinBrisvegas  (20-07-2016),bluehawaii  (19-07-2016),neza  (20-07-2016),Soon2be4  (19-07-2016),ThreePeasPlease  (25-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    That's a bit unfair. The pp was bringing up a totally irrelevant point asking me if I wanted someone like Donald Trump leading our country. I was referencing recent terrorist attacks on a country that Australian's view as not all that dissimilar to ours.
    I was using the example of Trump to show what happens when you allow rhetoric like SK's to go unchecked, when you allow that conversation to happen, that's no different than you using terrorist attacks in France to prove your point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's nice to see that there are people who aren't trying to "whitesplain" to me how this isn't racist, bigoted or xenophobic. Don't know the PC term for it. It kind of reminds me of the time Adam Goodes was getting booed and he asked people to stop because he felt he was being singled out because of his race and people just kept booing. Well here are the Muslims saying it feels like they are being singled out and we are telling them "no no we are absolutely not picking on you"

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blubberbuns For This Useful Post:

A&S  (19-07-2016),Mink  (20-07-2016)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default Sonia Kruger - glass house?

@GingerKat I can empathise with the fear factor, and I do think it's important to find a way to discuss this fear factor, and to make it OK to be scared.

I support SK's right to express fear, but I struggle with the impact of what she suggested on the thousands of Australians who have Islamic/Arabic descent who view themselves as Australian but want to balance that with acknowledging and respecting their cultural heritage, as well as the logistics of it all.

I don't see how it's possible to question the behaviour of 'groups' without focussing on religion or race? Do you have an example of what you meant?

Not sure if this is off topic, but what I keep noticing about all of these attacks is that a few days after it seems to come out in the media that there were 'signs' that were 'missed' by 'intelligence'. If this is true, I'd prefer to see efforts putting into combating these oversights, and following the lead of Denmark in the example posted by a PP earlier to a kneejerk reaction.

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (19-07-2016),HollyGolightly81  (19-07-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (19-07-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (19-07-2016),smallpotatoes  (19-07-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (19-07-2016),ThreePeasPlease  (25-07-2016),witherwings  (19-07-2016)