+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreePeasPlease View Post
    Why does it make you angry? Which part of it makes you angry?

Can you discern the difference between garden variety racism and fear?

I suggest watching Gandhi ...
    Seriously? Ok I'll bite. What makes me angry is I have worked in immigration legal centres and I intimately understand the rights these people have at law and under UN conventions. I understand why the fear is baseless. I understand why more is achieved through love and not hate. I understand non violent protests. I understand many things about this.

What makes me angry is that when I try and politely explain why these fears and the hatred of Muslims is unfounded, and just turning them away is illegal, I get shouted down.

Why do you want me to watch Gandhi? what point are you wanting to make but can't without resorting to statements like that?

And please don't call me a nazi again. I think you may find that one of the most offensive things I've read.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (26-07-2016),Elijahs Mum  (24-07-2016),gingermillie  (25-07-2016),harvs  (24-07-2016),JustJaq  (24-07-2016),smallpotatoes  (25-07-2016),witherwings  (24-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    I said PC nazis. There's a difference.
    No. Just no.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (25-07-2016),gingermillie  (25-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We are worried about rapists and murderes and pedophiles. But these guys are radicalised religious fundamentalists, this is a whole new bag of fish.

I think if Sonia had said this in a private group instead of on television, you PC nazis would be less judgemental and probably more empathetic... Just saying.
    "these guys"? Which guys? Can you identify them somehow? Maybe put a little bit of fabric on their clothes so they are easily identifiable?

If Sonia Kruger had said these things somewhere other than in the mass media, yes, it would be a whole different thing. She's a public personality, who, quite frankly, should be considered to have some kind of responsibility not to contribute to bigotry and hatred.

And PC Nazis?? Really??

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (24-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I invoke Godwin's Law. Game over.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (25-07-2016),delirium  (24-07-2016),ExcuseMyFrench  (25-07-2016),JustJaq  (24-07-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (25-07-2016),witherwings  (24-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Sonia Kruger - glass house?

Quote Originally Posted by UmmInayah View Post
    I'm a proud Australian Muslim. It saddens me that almost every day I feel the need to justify myself because people are scared and ignorant. I used to wear a scarf, but after the people spitting at me and throwing change back at me at supermarkets I had had enough of being treated unjustly and I no longer wear it. Hey, now people treat me well.
    This makes me angry. And I suspect it's only going to get worse as more high profile people publicly talk about their "fears".

I do empathise with you because I've had similar experiences when I have spent time with Orthodox Jews (people spitting, swearing, throwing things out of car windows at us - and this was in Bondi beach!)

There are a lot of assholes out there unfortunately

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I invoke Godwin's Law. Game over.
    I had to google this and LOL FUNNY!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    I had to google this and LOL FUNNY!
    I think it's more true of overseas forums. Have been hoping to use it for a while now and finally ..... Bingo!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (24-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Seriously? Ok I'll bite. What makes me angry is I have worked in immigration legal centres and I intimately understand the rights these people have at law and under UN conventions. I understand why the fear is baseless. I understand why more is achieved through love and not hate. I understand non violent protests. I understand many things about this.

What makes me angry is that when I try and politely explain why these fears and the hatred of Muslims is unfounded, and just turning them away is illegal, I get shouted down.

Why do you want me to watch Gandhi? what point are you wanting to make but can't without resorting to statements like that?

And please don't call me a nazi again. I think you may find that one of the most offensive things I've read.
    How is Sonia krugrs fear baseless?

Ok, I understand and have compassion as you have explained that you have worked in immigration legal centres and have seen these people struggling and just want for a better life. I understand the frustration you must feel being involved in this battle, and the point of view you want to express and get across to people who you feel are being reasonable and unfair.

I also think your anger is blinding you from understanding how other people are feeling in regards to this topic.

Sonia Kruger, in all her years of television has not come across xenophobic, racist or bigoted In her views.

Thanks
    Reviews

Sonia Kruger, in all her years of television has not come across xenophobic, racist or bigoted In her views.
    *cough* http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...-1111118049393

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    *cough cough*

This is banter between two mates.

But let's go back to while people think her views are baseless.