+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Sonia Kruger - glass house?

And your point? There are many people who fear the unknown, it's human.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    My point, while we are getting bogged down in semantics, is that xenophobia means 'fear of strangers/the unknown'. You said it wasn't a xenophobic statement then backed that up by saying SK was merely scared of strangers/the unknown.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sonia Kruger - glass house?

Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    My point, while we are getting bogged down in semantics, is that xenophobia means 'fear of strangers/the unknown'. You said it wasn't a xenophobic statement then backed that up by saying SK was merely scared of strangers/the unknown.
    It is not xenophobia. The definition of xenophobia is dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries. This would mean she would only have 'white' friends and that she would 'stick to her own kind'. This is not what she is expressing at all, a quick scroll through her Instagram would prove otherwise. You are trying to fit something into a box and you just can't.

What she is expressing is fear. And that is justified.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Well, the definition that I've seen in multiple places is 'fear of strangers or foreigners'. Given that she is speaking of potential immigrants then she is definitely describing foreigners, and given that she is speaking of a potential extremist who she doesn't know, she is also describing strangers in my book.

I'm not trying to put her in any box at all. I just love language and was interested in the definition of the word and how it could be applied in this situation.

If you've read my comments on this thread, you would see that I've actually expressed empathy towards her fear.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (24-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreePeasPlease View Post
    It is not xenophobia. The definition of xenophobia is dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries. This would mean she would only have 'white' friends and that she would 'stick to her own kind'. This is not what she is expressing at all, a quick scroll through her Instagram would prove otherwise. You are trying to fit something into a box and you just can't.

Fear of extremism and terrorism yes.

Wanting to discrimate against people on the basis of religion without any real proof of effectiveness, no that's not justified.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (24-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    She isn't fearing something different or strangers, what she is saying is that the extremist hide under a 'cover' of Islam, her fear is based on the fact that if we let everyone who is Muslim into the country how do we know that not 1 of them could be an extremist. It's not that she has anything against the majority of Muslim people who do good, its not even the religion she has a thing against, its her fear that one could come in under 'Muslim' but have completely destructive agenda and do something that could potentially hurt a lot of people. Do you understand?
    I get that. I understand that she is afraid. Instead of screaming 'racist' at her, I feel like it is so much more helpful to have a logical, reasonable conversation. Use facts and love to chase away fear. 'Hate cannot drive out hate - only love can do that' (Martin Lthr King). Like the fact that 0.006% of Muslims are extremists. So yeah, chances that a few Muslims who enter the country, or were born here, WILL be extremists. But it's likely that a similar number of christians will be extremists,too. And Hindu's. And Athiests. I am a christian,I have people who make assumptions about me based on my religion all.the.time. Unless they know me personally, & realise that my religion is a part of who I am,but it doesn't define me as a person I like to afford that same respect to Muslims, because I know how it feels.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (25-07-2016),harvs  (24-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Rubbish. It is not. She is expressing fear of Muslims, or of Islam. She is right to be scared of terrorism, or of extremists. But it would be like me saying I'm terrified of Catholics because I had a bad experience at primary school.

She isn't even trying to understand how the majority of people of those faiths feel.

And strictly yes xenophobia is fear of people from another country. But given Australia is not a Muslim country, it's a fair shot that the majority she fears do come from somewhere else.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (24-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For the purpose of comparison, I did a quick google search of the percentage of men that commit rape. I was horrified to read that 6% of men have admitted to committing rape. (Note: this was a very brief search for the purpose of comparison).

Sonja is afraid - but her fears are not justified by facts. 0.006% of muslims are extremists. In comparison, 6% of men are rapists. Why the hell are we allowing men in Australia? Suely men are a far more dangerous group of people than muslims? The risk that a man will be a rapist is 1000x greater than a muslim will be an extremist.

Do you see how the facts show there is a very low risk that a muslim will be an extremist,and how silly it is to single them out?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (24-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Can we stop spelling her name Sonja. It's Sonia. Sorry I keep thinking people are calling me racist

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (25-07-2016),binnielici  (25-07-2016),ExcuseMyFrench  (24-07-2016),gingermillie  (24-07-2016),JustJaq  (24-07-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (24-07-2016),smallpotatoes  (24-07-2016),witherwings  (24-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    She isn't fearing something different or strangers, what she is saying is that the extremist hide under a 'cover' of Islam, her fear is based on the fact that if we let everyone who is Muslim into the country how do we know that not 1 of them could be an extremist. It's not that she has anything against the majority of Muslim people who do good, its not even the religion she has a thing against, its her fear that one could come in under 'Muslim' but have completely destructive agenda and do something that could potentially hurt a lot of people. Do you understand?
    We should just ban all immigrants and refugees then. Everyone one of them has the potential to be a murderer, rapist, thief, psychopath, or a massive a$$hole.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (25-07-2016),gingermillie  (24-07-2016)