+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smallpotatoes View Post
    Yep, this exactly Said more eloquently than I could.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    @JustJaq you so awesome 👍🏼

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Interesting. I have a friend from Paris whose family are quite worried. They live in a rather poor part of the city and feel things are getting less and less stable. I haven't really gone into a lot of detail with him tbh as he's not been here long and I can tell it's stressful to talk about it.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying my friends and family from Paris aren't worried.. You'd be a fool not to be.

My SIL is an elected councillor of a culturally diverse city right next to Paris. She hasn't mentioned any change in the stability of the city. People aren't more racist because of the attacks and they keep living their lives as they had before.

I think Paris and France have known worse times...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    @JustJaq you so awesome
    Thanks! My heart just skipped a beat Lol.

But really, I think the credit belongs to @smallpotatoes here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    Thanks! My heart just skipped a beat Lol.

But really, I think the credit belongs to @smallpotatoes here
    Nah Ms Google helped me.

You said it perfectly.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (24-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreePeasPlease View Post
    I don't think her views were racist or xenophobic. Muslim isn't a race, it is a religion. The issue is the fear around Muslim and Islamic faith and the people who follow these religions.
    Even if you believe her views aren't racist, they are still discriminatory, bigoted and incite fear and hate.

Some people would argue that Judiasm is also only a religion (I disagree but that's not really relevant).

The Germans were convinced to fear & hate the Jews in the 1930s and look where that led the world..

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (25-07-2016),besha  (24-07-2016),HollyGolightly81  (24-07-2016),JustJaq  (24-07-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (24-07-2016),VicPark  (24-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sonia Kruger - glass house?

Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    There are technical arguments about whether or not treating Muslim people differently can properly be considered 'racist', that I won't bore you with.

Assuming, though, that you're correct, and that it's not 'racist' to treat Muslims differently - how is it ok to treat someone differently because of their religion? How is anti-Semitism or anti-Islamicism any better, or different, to racism? How is it relevantly different?

And as for xenophobic - yes, I think it is. Xenophobia = Fear or contempt of that which is foreign, especially of strangers or of people from different countries or cultures.
    She isn't fearing something different or strangers, what she is saying is that the extremist hide under a 'cover' of Islam, her fear is based on the fact that if we let everyone who is Muslim into the country how do we know that not 1 of them could be an extremist. It's not that she has anything against the majority of Muslim people who do good, its not even the religion she has a thing against, its her fear that one could come in under 'Muslim' but have completely destructive agenda and do something that could potentially hurt a lot of people. Do you understand?
    Last edited by ThreePeasPlease; 24-07-2016 at 21:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm a proud Australian Muslim. It saddens me that almost every day I feel the need to justify myself because people are scared and ignorant. I used to wear a scarf, but after the people spitting at me and throwing change back at me at supermarkets I had had enough of being treated unjustly and I no longer wear it. Hey, now people treat me well.

my husband is a white German Australian Muslim. He doesn't look like a Muslim (wtf does a Muslim look like) and you would be so surprised the crap people have said about Muslims to him. The moment he tells them he's a Muslim you should hear them back track.

Those quoting from the Quran, have you bothered to read the whole Surah or are you happy taking a single sentence and running with it. Don't bother answering, that was a rhetorical question.

Sonja is is ignorant. Playing the "I have Muslim friends" card is a great justification for bigotry.

Don't know why I am commenting.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SookiLala For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (25-07-2016),babyno1onboard  (25-07-2016),harvs  (24-07-2016),JustJaq  (24-07-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (24-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Even if you believe her views aren't racist, they are still discriminatory, bigoted and incite fear and hate.

Some people would argue that Judiasm is also only a religion (I disagree but that's not really relevant).

The Germans were convinced to fear & hate the Jews in the 1930s and look where that led the world..
    So you are saying that you are all peace loving moon beams and have never in your life had a discriminatory, bigoted thought based on fear? Please....

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreePeasPlease View Post
    She isn't fearing something different or strangers, what she is saying is that the extremist hide under a 'cover' of Islam, her fear is based on the fact that if we let everyone who is Muslim into the country how do we know that not 1 of them could be an extremist. It's not that she has anything against the majority of Muslim people who do good, its not even the religion she has a thing against, its her fear that one could come in under 'Muslim' but have completely destructive agenda and do something that could potentially hurt a lot of people. Do you understand?
    This is a great description of someone who is scared of the unknown...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (24-07-2016)