+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Apparently he was heard shouting on the street that he's a German. Definitely no affiliation to ISIS or any connection to Islam.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Sonia Kruger - glass house?

Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    Usually I'm not someone who gets caught up in the scare campaigns but because I speak to many people in Europe i know that it's on the brink of all hell breaking lose.
    @Janesmum123 would you care to develop what you mean by this?

I'm French and I have all my network living in Europe but don't understand what you mean.

Personally I live with the idea that fear won't avoid danger.
    I also strongly believe that we have statistically way more chances of dying every day in a car accident than in a terrorist attack...
    Last edited by ExcuseMyFrench; 24-07-2016 at 19:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I was at a school party this morning and a few of the mums have just come back from family holidays in Europe and none saw or felt in any danger at all ( UK, France and Italy) one who was staying in Paris did say the Nice attack was obviously on the news but all the major tourist attractions were all still busy and crowded and the locals didn't seemed worried ( not saying they are not but they said it didn't feel any different than any other time )

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (24-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I live in London. Nobody I come across is scared in a way that they are stopping their lives, everybody is still planning their European holidays, some to Nice as a show of support.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    @Janesmum123 would you care to develop what you mean by this?

I'm French and I have all my network living in Europe but don't understand what you mean.

Personally I live with the idea that fear won't avoid danger.
    I also strongly believe that we have statically way more chances of dying every day in a car accident than in a terrorist attack...
    Interesting. I have a friend from Paris whose family are quite worried. They live in a rather poor part of the city and feel things are getting less and less stable. I haven't really gone into a lot of detail with him tbh as he's not been here long and I can tell it's stressful to talk about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    Outrageous.

I'm just horrified (but not really surprised) that this sort of comment could be made on national tv without what seems to be any second thought or self-reflection whatsoever on her part.

She's no great scholar - but surely most people know better than to be so overtly racist? It seems not, based on this

Shows how racist and xenophobic society as a whole is at the moment in my view.
    I don't think her views were racist or xenophobic. Muslim isn't a race, it is a religion. The issue is the fear around Muslim and Islamic faith and the people who follow these religions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreePeasPlease View Post
    I don't think her views were racist or xenophobic. Muslim isn't a race, it is a religion. The issue is the fear around Muslim and Islamic faith and the people who follow these religions.
    Same same but different.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (24-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (24-07-2016),JustJaq  (24-07-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (24-07-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (24-07-2016),Sonja  (24-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreePeasPlease View Post
    There are technical arguments about whether or not treating Muslim people differently can properly be considered 'racist', that I won't bore you with.

Assuming, though, that you're correct, and that it's not 'racist' to treat Muslims differently - how is it ok to treat someone differently because of their religion? How is anti-Semitism or anti-Islamicism any better, or different, to racism? How is it relevantly different?

And as for xenophobic - yes, I think it is. Xenophobia = Fear or contempt of that which is foreign, especially of strangers or of people from different countries or cultures.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (24-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    There are technical arguments about whether or not treating Muslim people differently can properly be considered 'racist', that I won't bore you with.

Assuming, though, that you're correct, and that it's not 'racist' to treat Muslims differently - how is it ok to treat someone differently because of their religion? How is anti-Semitism or anti-Islamicism any better, or different, to racism? How is it relevantly different?

And as for xenophobic - yes, I think it is. Xenophobia = Fear or contempt of that which is foreign, especially of strangers or of people from different countries or cultures.
    Maybe they'd prefer to be called bigot rather than racist.