+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I actually agree with you @Janesmum123. I do think there are some serious problems in Europe hence why we won't be going to France in 2018.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Sonia Kruger - glass house?

Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    And...we wake up to another (suspected) terrorist attack, this time in Munich.
    I remained amazed that many of the PPs are not scared.
    My Mum is going to Spain soon, and I am appropriately "terrified".

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I would be alert and vigilant if I was going to Europe. But it's not stopping me from going in January (Italy) with my DH, 2 boys and newborn baby. Granted, we are going to a ski resort so chances of an attack are slim.

A few years ago we cancelled our visit to Israel where a lot of our relatives live because of the increase in lone wolf attacks in Jerusalem. None of my family are in Jerusalem and my relatives said it wasn't any more dangerous than usual, but we still cancelled. I regretted it so much, and went the next year when the threat was even greater (one example that didn't even get a mention in the news here was a Palestinian driving his car into a woman with a baby in a pram). People still lived their lives as normal over there and everyone seems content.

Am I scared of terrorist attacks? Yes of course, you would be naive not to be scared on some level. But the infinitesimal chance that an attack would happen here (and that myself or my loved ones would be involved in it) doesn't change my way of life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    It sounds like a home-grown nut-job, yes. But it's still a "terrorist attack". Doesn't matter if it's ISIS or a member of the Icelandic Square-Dancing Group, it's still an act of terrorism.

My point was that the likelihood of getting caught up in a terrorist attack seems to me to be increasing quite significantly. And it's freaking me out.

But coming back to the OT. how does banning Muslim immigration protect anyone against home grown terrorism? It doesn't.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (24-07-2016),witherwings  (23-07-2016),yadot  (23-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    But coming back to the OT. how does banning Muslim immigration protect anyone against home grown terrorism? It doesn't.
    It doesn't. You have no argument from me about that.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (24-07-2016),babyno1onboard  (23-07-2016),TheGooch  (23-07-2016),VicPark  (23-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    I would be alert and vigilant if I was going to Europe. But it's not stopping me from going in January (Italy) with my DH, 2 boys and newborn baby. Granted, we are going to a ski resort so chances of an attack are slim.

A few years ago we cancelled our visit to Israel where a lot of our relatives live because of the increase in lone wolf attacks in Jerusalem. None of my family are in Jerusalem and my relatives said it wasn't any more dangerous than usual, but we still cancelled. I regretted it so much, and went the next year when the threat was even greater (one example that didn't even get a mention in the news here was a Palestinian driving his car into a woman with a baby in a pram). People still lived their lives as normal over there and everyone seems content.

Am I scared of terrorist attacks? Yes of course, you would be naive not to be scared on some level. But the infinitesimal chance that an attack would happen here (and that myself or my loved ones would be involved in it) doesn't change my way of life.
    I have always felt on edge in Israel unfortunately. I once spent $800 on a taxi getting from one side of the country to the other because I was too scared to catch public transport. If this is how people are feeling about Australia now I can sympathise, but do not share those views. I feel safe here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't feel like banging my head against a brick wall by replying to some fb friends that have shared this, so I'm venting in here;

People are retaliating to something that Sonia is directly accountable for, whereas her comment was lumping a whole lot of innocent people in the same box as terrorists, based on their religion. Big difference!

Also, I wish people would stop saying we have the right to freedom of speech in Australia. I'm preeeetty sure we don't.

End rant.
    Attached Images

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I have always felt on edge in Israel unfortunately. I once spent $800 on a taxi getting from one side of the country to the other because I was too scared to catch public transport. If this is how people are feeling about Australia now I can sympathise, but do not share those views. I feel safe here.
    As a westerner visiting Israel it's definitely scary. Even when the situation is relatively quiet there. But for an Australian to feel that level of fear here is way OTT.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Sonia Kruger - glass house?

And...we wake up to another (suspected) terrorist attack, this time in Munich.
    I remained amazed that many of the PPs are not scared.
    My Mum is going to Spain soon, and I am appropriately "terrified".

I'm still not scared.

The media all around the world are targeting Muslims. We need to look at how things are reported and why. On Thursday evening a man drove his car into Merrylands police station with open gas cylinders and set himself alight. All over the news it was an apparent and imminent terror attack. Merrylands in Sydney is an area with a lot of Muslims and George Christensen was all over it saying it was going to happen eventually. The next day (yesterday) hardly a mention. Why? Because this guy was a 61 year old white guy. He was a lone wolf. Even if it was a lone wolf Muslim, it would've been just what Sonya and Pauline wanted to justify their position to ban all Muslims from entering Australia.

Does this person's religion matter?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Green Cheese  (24-07-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (24-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Not really a terrorist attack, he was bullied and shot those who bullied him.
    http://www.smh.com.au/world/munich-s...23-gqcfep.html

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Not really a terrorist attack, he was bullied and shot those who bullied him.
    http://www.smh.com.au/world/munich-s...23-gqcfep.html
    Sounds more like something akin to Columbine.