+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    I know this is off topic but this really ****es me off. As a police officer's wife I see every single day what my DH goes through. I live through the fear every day that some idiot will injure or kill my DH. I sit checking my phone every 5 minutes when he leaves the house in the middle of the night to execute a warrant. My heart aches when he walks in the door and I can see it written all over him that today was a bad day. My DH works in child protection and has to subject himself to viewing some of the vilest most horrific imagery in the pursuit of identifying and hopefully catching the offenders. It is eating away at his soul - he does this to protect his children and YOURS.

The officers who attend domestic violence situations, child abuse and neglect are doing the BEST they can within the laws that constrain them, the VERY limited resources they have available and with **** pay, horrible working hours and conditions, public stigma (pigs anyone?), and NO support for their mental health.

So your throw away remark is completely uncalled for and the reason my DH rarely tells people what he does for a living.
    Agreed, my dh was a police officer for 14 years, I understand. Have to say I am glad he is not any longer.
    What a stupid unfair remark from Big Red.
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 20-07-2016 at 14:47.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (20-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bluehawaii View Post
    The only reason there hasn't been a terrorist attack here in Australia, is because our wonderful police (State and Federal), have been able to stop them before it happened
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Such a shame they can't seem to protect women from murderous partners.
    @Sonja I agree completely with what you have said about the higher ups having power to make change.

However BigRedv was definitely referring to Police Officers - not politicians or policy makers. It was no doubt a throw away remark but that is what made it so offensive to me.

I'll leave it at that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I don't really have much to add that hasn't already been said. But I did want to address some of the comments in this thread, and that we see in many controversial threads here regarding having a right to an opinion.

Yes, you have a right to an opinion and you have a right to voice it here or where ever you choose. But the way a discussion and/or debate operates is that others also have a right to discuss your opinion. That's the general process of interaction isn't it? To comment and reply to one another?

The forum and life for that matter, doesn't work on the basis that you get to make offensive and outrageous comments then put up the proverbial hand to stop when others try to discuss or counter those opinions. Bc it is then you that is trying to extinguish free speech.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (20-07-2016),besha  (21-07-2016),BigRedV  (20-07-2016),BlondeinBrisvegas  (21-07-2016),HollyGolightly81  (20-07-2016),hopeful1986  (21-07-2016),smallpotatoes  (20-07-2016),witherwings  (20-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Sonia Kruger - glass house?

Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    I know this is off topic but this really ****es me off. As a police officer's wife I see every single day what my DH goes through. I live through the fear every day that some idiot will injure or kill my DH. I sit checking my phone every 5 minutes when he leaves the house in the middle of the night to execute a warrant. My heart aches when he walks in the door and I can see it written all over him that today was a bad day. My DH works in child protection and has to subject himself to viewing some of the vilest most horrific imagery in the pursuit of identifying and hopefully catching the offenders. It is eating away at his soul - he does this to protect his children and YOURS.

The officers who attend domestic violence situations, child abuse and neglect are doing the BEST they can within the laws that constrain them, the VERY limited resources they have available and with **** pay, horrible working hours and conditions, public stigma (pigs anyone?), and NO support for their mental health.

So your throw away remark is completely uncalled for and the reason my DH rarely tells people what he does for a living.
    I was being sarcastic. Of course I know they aren't personally responsible. See sonja's earlier post in response.

One of my best friends is a cop and her area is domestic violence. My brother in law is a cop. My dad was a policeman. He's retired now after 31 years in the police force. So don't think I don't know what they do
    Last edited by BigRedV; 20-07-2016 at 20:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    If that's the case then fair enough. But there is a risk that pointing out people are being silly for thinking this way, with the implication they are ignorant, can shut a conversation down.

I'm not sure what the answer is.

As I said I'm not overly scared. But I'm not an anxious type of person either. I can appreciate though there are those that are.

I think we are starting to go in circles, so I'll stop banging on my point
    I didn't say anyone was silly and I didn't call anyone ignorant. I just pointed out a FACT. Funny how people can give their opinion in this thread but the facts aren't allowed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH sent this link to me this afternoon -

It's Jim Jefferies so I apologise in advance about the excessive profanity (you have been warned): he is an Australian comedian but often incorporates socio-political commentary into his acts, for example, on gun control.

Here he is talking about Donald trump. The relevant part is at 3:33 at which point he starts talking about how policies promised by trump (similar to what Sonia Kruger is suggesting) lead to radicalisation of people who otherwise would never have felt discriminated against. He very eloquently and succinctly summarises exactly what we have been talking about here.

http://youtu.be/CceQISThDYQ

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

blubberbuns  (21-07-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (21-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Jim Jeffries is great! This is from his most recent special on Netflix, called Freedumb, if anyone is interested in watching the whole thing (it's not all about politics/Trump though). But he makes a very good point.

I just got around to watching the TED video that was posted earlier in this thread. It's quite scary how many parallels there are between Hitler's rise to power and what's happening in the world/the US at the moment. Scary stuff. As they say - history tends to repeat itself. I'd like to think everything that is currently happening won't lead to WW3, but we are treading a dangerous path...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to besha For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (21-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Last edited by hopeful1986; 21-07-2016 at 12:13.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (21-07-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (21-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by Anjalee; 21-07-2016 at 12:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I actually think this thread may contribute to people's anxiety levels