+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluehawaii View Post
    The only reason there hasn't been a terrorist attack here in Australia, is because our wonderful police (State and Federal), have been able to stop them before it happened
    Such a shame they can't seem to protect women from murderous partners.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (20-07-2016),sajimum  (20-07-2016),witherwings  (20-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    One thing I don't agree with policy wise is cancellation of people's passports if they are at risk of going to fight in Syria.
    I say let them go.
    See the full horror that is taking place.
    And then don't let them come back.
    Don't keep them here, frustrated, angry and festering. And not doing anything to de-radicalise them.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (20-07-2016),BlondeinBrisvegas  (21-07-2016),bluehawaii  (20-07-2016),Meld85  (20-07-2016),SuperGranny  (20-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just because more women are murdered through domestic violence, than through acts of terror, doesn't make me less scared of terrorism. And I'm tipping many other Australians feel the same way.

I'm struggling to see how it's relevant to the debate.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (21-07-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (20-07-2016),Meld85  (20-07-2016),neza  (21-07-2016),sashas girl  (20-07-2016),ThreePeasPlease  (25-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't find the original post on this topic (I meant to reply last night) but the comparison of the issues in Lebanon to what Australia may face from Muslim immigration is OTT.

And for what it's worth I thought Lebanon was pretty much at peace. There was the suicide bomb late last year, car bombings every now and again targeted at politicians and the odd spat with Israel in the south but otherwise it's a pretty safe place? Not a place where people are faced with daily violence (Palestine refugee camps aside).

Note: I forgot about the 2005 30 day war, however that was with Israel, not between Christians and Muslims.

Anyway, my point is that comparisons of issues in the Middle East involving the Lebanese, Israelis and Palestinians is immensely complex and not reflective of anything that may happen in Australia.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Sonia Kruger - glass house?

Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    Just because more women are murdered through domestic violence, than through acts of terror, doesn't make me less scared of terrorism. And I'm tipping many other Australians feel the same way.

Because you are more likely to die from other things other than terrorism.

I bet you're not afraid of driving. So far this year there have been 643 deaths on Australian roads. In 2015 there were 1206 deaths on Australian roads.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (20-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

I was just trying to figure out the wording to post the same thing.
    I believe it's irrelevant to this debate.
    People who aren't at risk/subjected to domestic violence aren't scared of being killed by their partners.

The fear of terrorism is you don't know when or where. It's unexpected.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (21-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I was just trying to figure out the wording to post the same thing.
    I believe it's irrelevant to this debate.
    People who aren't at risk/subjected to domestic violence aren't scared of being killed by their partners.

The fear of terrorism is you don't know when or where. It's unexpected.
    Same as diving a car. See above post.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

It's just a way of putting the risk in context, i think.

Maybe a medical comparison might be (and I'm sure you can think of a better one, but see the point I'm making) that it's natural to be afraid of Ebola (during the last epidemic), but you're much more likely to die from complications arising from a cold.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (20-07-2016),VicPark  (20-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post

But all that is neither here nor there when it comes to immigration policy, which cannot exclude Muslims as that would be in breach of the UN treaty, the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), which states:

“All persons are equal before the law and are entitled without any discrimination to the equal protection of the law. In this respect, the law shall prohibit any discrimination and guarantee to all persons equal and effective protection against discrimination on any ground such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status (UN General Assembly, 1966).”

Australia has signed this treaty. It is not a law that Australia can change in parliament. So denying Muslims entry to Australia would be in breach of the UN treaty.
    I agree with this. And it shouldn't happen.

However, don't rely on it. Australia has breached UN Conventions before, and i think may be breaching some now, and will do it again, I'm sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Bias opinion much?
    It's not an opinion