+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Planning holiday leave for labour/delivery in FIFO families?

How are FIFO families planning labour/delivery and their OH's leave/holiday?

I have had my OH only at our 2 labours, both times i relied on him heavily (first was a sick bub and second i had a big bleed and landed in ICU), both times were vaginal births, one induced and one spontaneous.

I know i will likely go overdue so would hate to preemptively book holiday leave and bub not arrive for a few weeks following but also don't like the thought of labouring alone.

He is confident his work will allow him to book a rough time for holiday and leave when he gets the call which seems the most logical option, but means i will labour on my own.

Has anyone hired someone or used a friend or family member (i struggle with the thought of having family or friend there).

Help!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was in a similar predicament and we took a gamble. DF organised to take 4 weeks off when I was 39 weeks along. My mum stayed with me from 37 weeks until DF got home incase I went into labour before DF got home. I was worried I wouldn't have bub until 42 weeks and then have DFs support for only a week before he had to go back to work.

It wasn't a perfect plan but it was the best we could come up with.

Bub was born the day after DF came home - a complete fluke.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

crunchymumma  (19-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Have you considered hiring a doula? This is what I would do. Thankfully my husbands job isn't true FIFO and he was able to be a little more flexible with his leave. I did have to get him to come home early from a conference when I went into labor, luckily it was only an hour away (or he wouldn't have gone, I was already overdue).

If it's your first pregnancy you're more likely to go late than early however I would definitely have a back up in place - a doula is a good option if you don't have a reliable friend or family member to be your support person in his absence.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

crunchymumma  (19-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What great timing bub had @babyno1onboard
    I don't have family to come and stay with me which makes me a little nervous, and where we live i have minimal family.
    I know i could have MIL be here within 1hr if i went into labour, to look after my 2 little ones which is great.
    Taking holiday from 39-40wks does seem the most logical. My OH is quite confident that his company will allow him to arrange my due date as his start leave date and then fly out earlier if needed - it would just mean he would miss the birth.
    @sunnygirl79 it will be our 3rd baby, we are TTC now and trying to formulate a rough plan in advance.
    I think i will go over anyway (induced 39wks with #1 and 40+5 with #2), but knowing my luck without him here i wouldnt.
    I have had a look at a few doula websites, im a little worried at what they provide for their customers and what i'am seeking.
    I might give a few of them a call anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in this position too!

With our first my husband was working a 26 & 9 roster and I had bub at 37 weeks which thankfully ended up being 3 days before he was due to go back to work.

This time he is doing a 2 week on 2 week off roster so home more often and longer but isn't scheduled to come back until 38 and 1/2 weeks so I'm sure he will miss the birth.

My first labor was only 4 hours so he most certainly won't make it back in time. I'm ok with him not being there for me but sad that he will miss out on the very first moments with bub.

He has leave booked from 38 and 1/2 weeks but will be able to move it forward if need be.

I have some family here however I will need them to look after DS. So still trying to work things out.

Just hoping it all happens when he is home and all my stress and planning will end up for nothing

Good luck!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to emeraldsandsiamonds For This Useful Post:

crunchymumma  (29-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A doula sounds like a good idea. I haven't used one but everyone I have spoken to who has said they were fantastic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by emeraldsandsiamonds View Post
    I'm in this position too!

With our first my husband was working a 26 & 9 roster and I had bub at 37 weeks which thankfully ended up being 3 days before he was due to go back to work.

This time he is doing a 2 week on 2 week off roster so home more often and longer but isn't scheduled to come back until 38 and 1/2 weeks so I'm sure he will miss the birth.

My first labor was only 4 hours so he most certainly won't make it back in time. I'm ok with him not being there for me but sad that he will miss out on the very first moments with bub.

He has leave booked from 38 and 1/2 weeks but will be able to move it forward if need be.

I have some family here however I will need them to look after DS. So still trying to work things out.

Just hoping it all happens when he is home and all my stress and planning will end up for nothing

Good luck!
    Sorry for the lack of reply, i must not have waited long enough on the page to let the reply go through.
    How do you feel about labouring alone?
    We have just found out we are pregnant so this is playing on my mind a lot more!

Either have OH come home from 39wks for 4wks total and risk me carrying to 42wks lol.
    Or having a doula and him flying home the day i go into labour (if overnight he would have to wait until morning but where he is located they do have flights daily) but him getting a full 4wks with his new little bundle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @crunchymumma

Laboring alone once I get to the hospital doesn't worry me as much as the initial being alone with DS and having to organize someone to come and watch him and then getting to the hospital.

With DS my waters broke with my first contractions and they were just on top of each from then, so I'm worried what I'll be like this time
    around.

His work have actually now cancelled his annual leave he had booked and have told him he has to apply for carers leave with Drs certificate once the baby arrives. They have also changed his roster so he will be away for three weeks which basically covers weeks 35 - 38. So my stress levels and nervousness is through the roof!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by emeraldsandsiamonds View Post
    @crunchymumma

Laboring alone once I get to the hospital doesn't worry me as much as the initial being alone with DS and having to organize someone to come and watch him and then getting to the hospital.

With DS my waters broke with my first contractions and they were just on top of each from then, so I'm worried what I'll be like this time
    around.

His work have actually now cancelled his annual leave he had booked and have told him he has to apply for carers leave with Drs certificate once the baby arrives. They have also changed his roster so he will be away for three weeks which basically covers weeks 35 - 38. So my stress levels and nervousness is through the roof!
    I have no words 😱
    Are they even allowed to do that?!
    How stressful for you both!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @crunchymumma

Unfortunately they can change rosters around. If bub was to arrive on their due date it would work out but we know that's not going to be the case.

My husband and mother continually tell me it will be fine it will all work out (drives me crazy). Yea for them it's fine because if hubby is not here he's not here and there's nothing for him to do. Where as I still have to go through labor and birth no matter what!!

They have flights everyday so if it happens overnight he would hopefully be here by lunch time the following day.

Arrrrr....freaking out!!!

When are you due?