+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Sponsoring a child

Hi ladies, in a moment of desperation, I showed my daughter a video of starving African children when she wouldn't eat her breakfast. I feel bad about it, but she has become really interested in how to help "the children who have no food to eat". So I told her we will send money to a family to help them maybe buy some animals to get milk and eggs and help them go to school so they can get a job when they're older. I know it's not that simple but she's 3 lol.

I also know that most aid organizations won't let you send money to a particular child or family as it creates jealously / tension within the community which is fine and completely understandable, but I do want to be able to put a face to the sponsorship and potentially write letters with my daughter to them to give her a more tangible sense of helping a person rather than just sending money.

So after all that, can anyone recommend who the best organization to go through is? I'm thinking world vision, I've checked out their website but I'm also willing to consider one who doesn't have as many advertising dollars.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I know there are others, but DH and I were sponsoring 2 kids through world vision. We got photos, letters as well as updates from their communities about the progress that was happening. You can also write letters to them and send photos (I think). They don't like you sending gifts as such as if adds to postage costs etc but they do up special packs for their birthday/Christmas too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's a very small charity called world families Australia and you can sponsor a child (money goes to the village as too dangerous to single one child out for special treatment). Their reporting is excellent and very personal and the work is tireless. Have a look at the site below for their Ethiopia work and if you email sandi she will send you everything you need to know. Contributions are generally $70 a quarter.
    http://www.worldfamilies.org.au/page...s/ethiopia.php

Thanks
    Reviews
    We sponsor through compassion. You sponsor a particular child (but essentially a family) as well as contributing to projects in the local area. I will travel to Indonesia to meet my sponsor child next year and I cannot wait! They have an app that makes it super easy to write letters.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We sponsor 2 children through compassion and get regular letters from them amd we are able to send letters and photos.
    I had sponsored the girl before we got married, but when we were looking at sponsoring another child, we looked at the financial reports released by a couple of agencies and were really happy with the % of sponsorship $ that actually reached the child/family/community with Compassion rather than being used for advertising and administration etc. This was 7-10 years ago, do not sure if anything has changed since then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks for your responses, in particular yours @amethyst85. I will have a look at the financial reports of a few so that I can compare, as like you said it may have changed since you researched it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Definitely look into what % of money actually goes to those in need. I've heard that World Vision isn't the best %-wise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Also, would you consider looking at charities that help children within Australia...although you wouldn't get the letter-writing element you are after.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't give money as such but every Christmas I buy pigs, chickens and goats for families instead of some family members of mine getting gifts. My DD 17 at the time did the same thing for her 3 best friends .

Thanks
    Reviews
    We like World Vision. I'm happy with my sponsorship through them.