+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Gawler Hospital

Hi guys
    Im brand new here
    Im a young mum to be and have been allocated to go to Gawler hospital.
    I live a little out of Gawler in Roseworthy.
    Im only 9 weeks at the moment so my first appointment is in a couple of weeks.
    Just wondering if anyone has been to Gawler and what was there experience like?
    Ive heard great things about Lyell McEwin but haven't heard much about Gawler..
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't go to Gawler hospital myself, but most of the mums in my mothers group did and they all really liked it. The couple who went to Lyell Mac found it fine too.
    Good luck with it all

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Marshy68 For This Useful Post:

jennadat  (21-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm south but no experience out your way. But why have you been allocated to go to a particular hospital ? Bit strange that's all. It's your pregnancy and you can choose where you want to go either public or private

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    I'm south but no experience out your way. But why have you been allocated to go to a particular hospital ? Bit strange that's all. It's your pregnancy and you can choose where you want to go either public or private
    This isn't completely true - yes if you are a private patient you have choice but as a public patient you are allocated to a public maternity unit based on geographical location.
    OP I haven't got personal experience with either but have heard some good things about Lyell McEwin

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    This isn't completely true - yes if you are a private patient you have choice but as a public patient you are allocated to a public maternity unit based on geographical location.
    OP I haven't got personal experience with either but have heard some good things about Lyell McEwin
    Yep this. If you are public, you are allocated to your closest maternity hospital. I chose to go private because I didn't want to go to my closest hospital

Thanks
    Reviews
    Interestingly my GP said that he would help me get into any of about 3 hospitals in SA. He gave me the option of MtB, Flinder MC, or WCH. He's very savvy and always wants to get what his patients want (the best outcome for them) maybe that's what OP means. Oh and my bf just had the same experience, with the same gp. I think the hosp I chose is not my closest

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP,
    I live in Gawler and am due in about 6 weeks. I'm not delivering at Gawler (going private) but have spoken to a few people about the hospital when I was tossing up what to do. Every report I've heard or read about Gawler Hospital has been positive, and it sounds like they're lovely. We've used the emergency department a couple of times and always had a positive experience, much nicer than the bigger hospitals.
    Good luck with your pregnancy ☺

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou everyone.
    Unfortunately I didn't have private hospital cover so am going public and that's why they 'allocated' me to my nearest hospital.
    I actually had to go to the hospital Tuesday night as my doc said I have hyperemesis gravidarum as I've been incredibly sick.
    I ended up on a drip and am now on meds to make sure I stop vomiting and can eat and drink. .. still feeling horrible and nauseous but doing my best to keep drinking water and eat what I can.
    Its been a nightmare but thank goodness for the amazing doctors and nurses in Gawler emergency.
    They were so lovely and rushed me straight into a bed and took me very seriously.
    They were all smiles and laughs trying to cheer me up.
    I have my first proper appointment in the maternity suite next Thursday and Im hoping they're going to be just as lovely.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jennadat For This Useful Post:

Lil Smurfy  (21-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry to but in here....I'm in south and I was told to go flinders....as its my nearest hospital. I simply said no, it's my choice where I go. And I did. My husband even asked them in case of an emergency would they have the necessary equipment and they said (well who we spoke to) said no, mother and baby would have to be rushed to women's and children's.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafsika View Post
    Sorry to but in here....I'm in south and I was told to go flinders....as its my nearest hospital. I simply said no, it's my choice where I go. And I did. My husband even asked them in case of an emergency would they have the necessary equipment and they said (well who we spoke to) said no, mother and baby would have to be rushed to women's and children's.
    My friend was supposed to go to gawler hospital. She was leaking amniotic fluid at 25 weeks and was sent to Flinders. They had no issues dealing with a 25 weeker and she is now 6.