+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Wdyt.

My ds2 is due to start kindy next year and i have 2 offers of enrolment..1) being the school kindy and 2) being the C & K 2-3 mins away from the school.

- school kindy pro's are it's on campus, plus im dropping my other 2 kids to school in the same place, if my ds needs speech therapy, the school associated one just comes to the kindy directly., facilities are newish, teacher aide is fantastic but I wasn't happy with the actual teacher last year when my other child was there. She never gave him a chance to grow and basically labelled him as not good enough for prep this year.., but i sent him ahead to prep and he's thriving both academically and physically.. Anyway moving on, most kids from the school kindy go onto the school so ds2 will have familiar faces in prep.

The C & K is 2-3 mins away, has a totally different setout, it's very countryish themed, there are even chickens roaming around. It starts 8.55 so will have plenty of time to drop the other 2 and then drop ds2 in time. Pick up is 2.15pm so again will have time to get the other 2. If he needs speech therapy- no in house speech therapy of course, and not really any familiar faces going thru to prep (1 or 2 might)
    Haven't met the teacher but heard she is lovely.

Ds2 possibly has ADHD so where i place him is important. Both are fantastic but im weary of the school kindy teacher, and because my ds1 never got a chance with her im wondering if my even more handful energetic ds2 will. Im not 100% sure IF he will need speech therapy, he should probably speak more clearly/better by now but it may still develop in time, he's 3.5 currently. The C & K seems to be more stimulating by the looks if their yard, he's an outside kid so not sure being so energetic if it's such a big deal or not..

Thanks
    Reviews
    To be honest it sounds like you really want to send your DS to the C & K kindy and if you weren't keen on the teacher where your other son went, what have you got to lose? Do whatever sits right with you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Option 2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had friends tell me to choose option 1 as he will have friends and the transition to prep will be easier, plus if i need the speech therapist its right there.. My main problem is with the C & K is obviously id have to find time to go outside kindy hours to speech therapy and im extremely short on spare time. Would it be so terrible if say, id left the speech therapy to start a year later in prep? the only other concern is the C & K is an hour shorter each day than the school kindy and only do 15 mins rest time. My ds sleeps 1.5 hours roughly, 15 mins he would be horrid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If he has issues with change I would be more inclined with option 1.

That and it sounds like you would be exhausted, and it seems the effort versus reward would be minimal at that point.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomia For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (18-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Would the school kindy let him have a sleep though? We have kindy at school here and definitely no sleep for kids. If they need it they have to catch up on days they're not at kindy.

As for starting prep after all the kids know each other I've done it with 2 of my kids now and my the end of term 1 it's like they've been there forever. Kids at that age make friends pretty easily.

Can you not take him to speech therapy on non kindy days?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Marchbundle  (18-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd go option 2 but get the ball rolling on speech assessment now. The centre sounds awesome - I love centres that have lots of outdoors, animals, messy play, etc.

As a teacher I'm loathe to say that some teachers do make up their minds about kids on day 1, or even before that when there is a sibling prior. It sounds like the school Kindy teacher may be one of those and your DS needs support, not pigeonholing. (Thankfully they are the minority.)

I've just started the ball rolling with speech assessment for 3yo DS. He speaks/understands a lot but he's just hard to understand what the words he is saying are. The MCHN referred me to the community clinic. I've been in contact with them and they do a full assessment (physio, OT and speech) even though speech is the only area we (and daycare) have concerns with. Something like this might suit your DS if you suspect ADHD. I should also note that we got DS's hearing tested privately 6 months ago to rule that out.

DS is a June baby, so doesn't start full time school until 2019 and I just don't want to wait that long if it is something we can be working on now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I like the C and K one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone i think i'll go with the C & K, if he does end up needing speech ill make it work somehow. It's important that he enjoys kindy.