+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default A (lack of) sleep vent....

I probably won't care about this so much in the morning but right now I'm tired and grumpy and just getting it out there.

I can safely say I am over sleep problems!!!!!
    Put Mr2 down and he was asleep by 7pm. He woke up at 10pm and is still going (2:50am). I put him in a room by himself and he just screams everyone's names at the top of his lungs constantly. Put him in my bed and he just won't settle and keeps grabbing stuff out of my drawers. Put him in his bed in a his room and he sits on top of Miss3 and just screams as loud as he can til she cries. This isn't new either. I am up til at least 12-1 every night with him (and then the others because he wakes them up).
    Rocking him, reading to him, putting him in pitch black, giving him cartoons to watch, singing to him etc... Nothing is working. He just isn't interested in sleep. Frankly, I think he is just getting kicks from being a right little turd.
    He thinks this whole bloody thing is hilarious.

We have not long sorted out Miss3s sleeping problems. She was only sleeping 2 hours a night and after doctors etc, she ended up on melatonin and has improved a lot. Mr4 (ASD) can also have really bad days. He will just have all-nighters randomly out of the blue, but he is happy to just keep to himself thankfully. Mr2 is intent on being as disruptive as possible. I am going to give it a few more weeks once school goes back (he will be going to preschool 3 days a week) to see if that wears him out. Otherwise I think the doctors might be on the cards.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hugs. You are a very patient mother I couldn't deal with that I would go insane, so you're amazing giving him a chance at all. I'd be straight to the doctors. I have no idea how I would begin to deal with that without professional help. Best of luck x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Poor thing xx if you wanted more than a vent (hints, tips etc) just let us know things like age, wake/nap/bed time, bedtime routine, solid intake etc.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ugh that sounds rough! Random question, have you tried panadol?

Thanks
    Reviews
    OMG you poor thing. You are AMAZING

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was playing on my mind too much, for his long term health, so I spoke to our hospital today and it was decided we can give him a small dose of melatonin for a few days to see how he fairs. It was also his first day back at preschool today but he was asleep by 8pm. So we will see how that goes but he has an appointment with the GP on Friday so wil, see how that goes.
    I haven't tried panadol for sleeping. He had some a few weeks ago for a bump on his head but hard to say if it helped then.
    He turned 2 a couple of weeks ago. I wake the kids at 7:30 for school, he sometimes naps during the day but that seems to be happening less and less lately. He eats a lot. Gets the same dinner as everyone else and usually polishes off the other kids leftovers.
    He's not up late crying or anything. He just seems so not-tired-at-all. He wants to play and he is a very cheeky kid as it is and he just wants to muck around being a smarty pants.

He seems similar to his sister, in that he used to sleep a lot. Like seemingly more than a normal kid. He would sleep 14 hours a night and had two 1-2hr sleeps a day, just like she did. And a few months ago he seemed to cut down his sleeping but went all the way to the other extreme, just the same as her. I think that's what worries me so much. She ended up so exhausted, she was sitting on a bench seat at school next to me and just passed out and fell to the ground. That's when she ended up at the doctors, so I don't want him to get to that stage.
    I grew up with insomnia. I can't remember how far back it goes but I can clearly remember my mother yelling at me about it an awful lot, so I'd say there's something in that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    What turn do you try to put your DS down for a nap? Or does this vary? Are mornings busy? What time is bedtime/what is the bedtime routine?

Age 2-3 is tricky for naps. My little man won't nap at daycare however can sleep 2-3 hours during the day in the comfort of his own cot. He's at the point where if I want him to settle at 7pm he needs to have no more than a 1 hour nap during the day (getting up no later than 3). It's a delicate balancing act - if tot is too tired at the end of the day it can lead to difficulties sleeping at night (including waking at intervals).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    I, I think he is just getting kicks from being a right little turd.
    He thinks this whole bloody thing is hilarious.
    If you think this is the case maybe a consistent and firmer approach to the night wakings (no entertainment, quiet dark comfort only, rewards chart for staying in bed) may help? You may need 2-3 weeks of doing the same thing before it takes affect. Of course if there are other factors (insomnia, overtired from no day nap) they would need to be addressed at the same time.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    He gets put to bed roughly between 6:30-7 after his bath, cuddles, stories etc.
    if he naps during the day, it will usually be about 1pm and go for an hour which is the same as at preschool. He won't always sleep for this though. For a while I was just doing the *pick him up, don't say anything, put him in bed and walk away* trick but it was taking about 5 hours of that every night for weeks. All with him screaming and fighting me.
    I got hubby to change the door handle to one he can't open himself, so he just sits behind the door screaming the house down. It's not always distressed screaming, sometimes he will just yell out random words he knows.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It sounds more like behaviour rather than sleep issues.
    Perhaps all that food is raising his energy levels so he genuinely isn't tired.
    But at two, I would expect a child to know "it's bedtime", "don't hit", "stop that", etc.

Have you tried a reward chart? Not just for sleep but behaviour in general?
    -go to bed at 7
    -get up at 7
    -no hitting
    -no screaming
    -no waking miss 3

Or similar