+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,747
    Thanks
    3,825
    Thanked
    3,655
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Pelvic Floor devices

    So no one seems to talk about this but u am putting it out there anyway. Has anyone used a device (such as an 'elvie') to either prepare for or recover from child birth, or for general pelvic floor maintenance? I would like to hear your experience if so, is it easy/comfortable to use, did you notice a difference, etc.

    Although I have been very good with my kegels and have no apparent damage after my VBAC, I have been scared reading all the possible side effects so many women suffer such as incontinence, prolapse etc and I would like to minimise my risk as much as possible (as I am very keen to get back into running and intensive exercise which increase this risk alone). So I am looking at potentially using a device to help me develop ping-pong-ball-popping pelvic floor strength!

    FYI I do see a post natal Physio, but wanted to hear about real experiences with these devices.

    Thank you!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,747
    Thanks
    3,825
    Thanked
    3,655
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Anyone?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    2,024
    Thanks
    2,771
    Thanked
    1,014
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No experience but I remember reading they are generally not recommended by physio's. The gist of was there have been no studies on their efficacy and there was a risk of injury if used incorrectly. Not sure if that helps!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,747
    Thanks
    3,825
    Thanked
    3,655
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    No experience but I remember reading they are generally not recommended by physio's. The gist of was there have been no studies on their efficacy and there was a risk of injury if used incorrectly. Not sure if that helps!
    It was my Physio that mentioned it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,168
    Thanks
    520
    Thanked
    713
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Go you! I don't think there is anywhere near enough emphasis on the importance of pelvic floor strength (ping pong ball popping strength no doubt).

    My sister had her baby in France and there... Get this... The government pays for physio to get everything back to a suitable strength following birth. It involves video games and popping cherries on screen using your muscles.

    I keep forgetting to do mine. I saw a physio about mine after my giant baby. Mine went from a "d" (no control) to a "b". I'm still aiming to get an "a" (when I remember). The physio said it's rare. I'd be interested to see if a device works. Perhaps a bit of research into what is used/recommended in France?

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

    sunnygirl79  (18-07-2016)

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    929
    Thanks
    157
    Thanked
    240
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I got a kegel8 machine online from overseas and it was great at helping strengthen my pelvic floor back up, which was really shot. Helped my prolapse a bit as well.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to felicia81 For This Useful Post:

    sunnygirl79  (18-07-2016)

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    2,024
    Thanks
    2,771
    Thanked
    1,014
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    It was my Physio that mentioned it.
    Oh! Lol there you go.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

    sunnygirl79  (18-07-2016)

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    233
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked
    67
    Reviews
    0
    I don't post very often (and what a thread to jump into, lol), but I'm in the same boat as you Sunnygirl79 - really wanting to look after my pelvic floor. I don't have any issues, but now that I have two babies (youngest is 5mo) I've realised I need to be proactive if I want to stay issue-free. I am keen to get back into running but want to ensure my PF is strong enough first, so I've been religiously doing exercises for this (and a slight diastasis).
    My physio recommended an "Educator" which has been helpful (only had it for 2 weeks). The Elvie looks very cool though!

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to nocturne For This Useful Post:

    sunnygirl79  (18-07-2016)

  13. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,747
    Thanks
    3,825
    Thanked
    3,655
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    I don't post very often (and what a thread to jump into, lol), but I'm in the same boat as you Sunnygirl79 - really wanting to look after my pelvic floor. I don't have any issues, but now that I have two babies (youngest is 5mo) I've realised I need to be proactive if I want to stay issue-free. I am keen to get back into running but want to ensure my PF is strong enough first, so I've been religiously doing exercises for this (and a slight diastasis).
    My physio recommended an "Educator" which has been helpful (only had it for 2 weeks). The Elvie looks very cool though!
    You sound exactly like me! My second Bub is 4.5 months. I need to talk to my Physio again, I got a bit freaked out when she started talking devices, TBH I thought I would have been back running weeks ago and not having to think about it all anymore. Just shows how uneducated I was on PF in general. I mean I always do the exercises, but I didn't know running and weights etc were so bad for it until now. And I also thought I would be fine because I have had no issues to date. It's all been an eye opener, and I am staggered we don't get more if this kind of info from our midwives/Obs/GPs.

    I definitely don't want to end up with issues later on so I am trying to get on top of things now as well. I think a device would help me remember to do them and more importantly do them properly and track my progress instead of guessing.

  14. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    233
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked
    67
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    You sound exactly like me! My second Bub is 4.5 months. I need to talk to my Physio again, I got a bit freaked out when she started talking devices, TBH I thought I would have been back running weeks ago and not having to think about it all anymore. Just shows how uneducated I was on PF in general. I mean I always do the exercises, but I didn't know running and weights etc were so bad for it until now. And I also thought I would be fine because I have had no issues to date. It's all been an eye opener, and I am staggered we don't get more if this kind of info from our midwives/Obs/GPs.

    I definitely don't want to end up with issues later on so I am trying to get on top of things now as well. I think a device would help me remember to do them and more importantly do them properly and track my progress instead of guessing.
    Our bubs are very similar in age! How's it all going? And I totally get you on the lack of education about pelvic floor. It makes me cringe when I think about the type of exercise I did after my first baby. I was back at the gym 6 weeks PN and my OB didn't mention anything about PF. It's only been during this pregnancy that I've become a lot more educated, most of it due to the physio pilates classes I've been doing pre and post natal (which I initially deemed as pointless because they weren't the high impact I was used to). The Pilates has given me heaps more body awareness in general, which I reckon will really help when I do get back to running.

    I think a device is helpful for that reason too. I've always been pretty consistent with exercises, but it means I'm more focussed. There's also a book called Hold. It. Sister (I just don't want to come up in Google search!) which is brilliant. There's a chapter on PF and stability exercises which I've been doing, and I'm really seeing where I'm weak.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Wood floor question - what can I use?
    By Mod-Degrassi in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-02-2016, 23:35
  2. Floor Grout Clean - Happydance!
    By Life is Good in forum General Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 23-12-2015, 09:16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Tambo Teddies
Visit our online store and select your individually handmade natural sheepskin teddy bear. Our soft and loveable bears come in a range of styles and colours. Created in Outback Queensland each bear is unique individual. 100% Australian made!
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
Tribalance
TriBalance is a physio, yoga & pilates studio in Brisbane's inner north, offering specialised women's health physiotherapy services. Weekly pregnancy yoga classes are scheduled at the studio on Thursdays 1- 2pm and Saturdays 1-2:15pm.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!