+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How to deal with crying & whinging?

How do you deal with whinging?

Crying, whinging, complaining, it all seems to depletes me.

DD (4) in particular is driving me crazy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've mastered the art of tuning out...except with DD3 as she's just a baby so I try to keep on top of her needs. She's not much of a crier though. I tune out mostly to my older girls if they are fighting or whinging, and I tune out to DP too lol. If your 4yo is just whinging for no reason, ignore her Or say for example " I'm not going to answer until you ask me nicely" then tune out lol.
    Last edited by Marchbundle; 17-07-2016 at 22:16.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Marchbundle For This Useful Post:

Nomia  (18-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I ask DS to use his words and explain what's wrong, then act on it straight away. Most of the time he just wants attention, so I stop for a minute, give him a cuddle, play with his cars, then explain that I need to keep doing X and I'll come back when I'm finished. If I can I get him to help me with whatever I'm doing and that keeps him occupied.

If he whinges for specific things, eg. "I want biscuits!" I tell him that he can't have anything unless he stops whinging and uses a normal voice. Trying to teach him that whinging won't get him he wants, but asking nicely he'll be more likely to get what he wants... its a work in progess!

I find he mostly whinges and acts up when he's bored or lonely. So I try to address that cause rather than the symptom.

Good luck hun! It's enough to drive anyone batty!!
    Last edited by Frankenmum; 18-07-2016 at 07:46.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (18-07-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (18-07-2016),Nomia  (18-07-2016),Redcorset  (18-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I drink.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

amyd  (18-07-2016),Frankenmum  (18-07-2016),JustJaq  (18-07-2016),Nomia  (18-07-2016),Redcorset  (18-07-2016),smallpotatoes  (18-07-2016),YeahYeahYeah  (18-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Marchbundle View Post
    I've mastered the art of tuning out...except with DD3 as she's just a baby so I try to keep on top of her needs. She's not much of a crier though. I tune out mostly to my older girls if they are fighting or whinging, and I tune out to DP too lol. If your 4yo is just whinging for no reason, ignore her Or say for example " I'm not going to answer until you ask me nicely" then tune out lol.
    This

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Goosey01 For This Useful Post:

Nomia  (18-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I explain I can't understand that whiney voice and to please speak properly. I don't give anything they want until they speak properly. Sometimes if I can see he or she is getting overly emotional I'll stop what I'm doing and give a cuddle and some attention.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Redcorset For This Useful Post:

Nomia  (18-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Like Frankenmum I reckon there is usually something underlying. So I work on that. Mine are big whingers but can easily turn to it when they're tired or hungry. If nothing else works, going outside really helps to lighten everybody's mood.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

Nomia  (18-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How to deal with crying & whinging?

Thank you everyone.

I usually am pretty good at helping whatever need she has, attention, food or whatever. But lately she had been throwing tantrums about her brother that I can't do anything about. I want that blanket, he has that toy and no talking, negotiating is stopping it.

Last night she cried for a solid 40 minutes because a very sick DS had a particular blanket on his bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I talk and listen to my children. I spend time with them. I let them know it's ok to be angry/sad/frustrated (but not ok to hurt others if that's happening) and let them know I'm here for them.
    We go for walks or get out of the house for a change of scenery.