+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default To take maternity leave or just resign?

I am due end of October and am finally sitting down with my boss this week to chat about my maternity leave arrangements and sort out some dates, but I have mixed feelings right now and maybe some outsiders perspective/ advice would help me.

I have worked for a small family owned business for almost five years. In my role I am the only person employed full time and there is one person who works casually as they are studying. My boss' wife works in reception but really she turns up and leaves whenever she feels like. Because of this it gets very stressful and I have to pick up the slack and take on a lot of admin work. I rarely take annual/ sick leave because when I do it feel like the place falls apart and I come back to 10 x more work than when I was last in. I usually need to give him weeks of notice and constant reminders if I ever take a day of leave. My boss is easily irritable and is not an easy person to work for. I have asked repeatedly to sit down and discuss my maternity leave and finally this week he said we are able to talk about it. I don't even now if I will be paid when I'm on maternity leave because it's such a a small business, and he is so difficult to approach.

Originally when i told my boss that I was pregnant I told him I was thinking about taking 12 months off. Lately work has been chaotic and stressful and not a nice environment to be in (mostly because he's realised that I wont be there much longer). I am really considering just resigning and finishing up the date that I would start mat leave. I've been unhappy for a while and I feel like this is my chance to get out of there. I would love to take a couple of years off work to spend with my child and I know that with all the money I have been putting away and my partners income that this could work out for us.
    I do not want to go back full time after my baby and I'm thinking that if I do only return as casual then is there really any need to go on mat leave?

What if at the end of 12 months I'm not ready to go back to work, but they are still expecting me to?

Am I better off to resign and get my large annual leave payout (12 weeks worth ) and take life as it comes??

I'm sorry I feel like I've been rambling but I'm so lost!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You are still entitled to the government paid maternity leave so I would be careful to check you are still entitled to that if you ended up resigning. I think the best plan would be to decide in your head what you'd like to do. Take your mat leave and when the final week of payment goes through then resign.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Don't resign! Now is not the time to be making that decision. Take 12 months but make a plan to sit down with your partner and reevaluate in 6 months from now. If you want to quit then it will still give you boss heaps of time to sort out his plans before he would have been expecting you back. In my experience many many mums feel differently then they expected with plans for returning to work after a baby. Some are itching to go back asap when they always thought they would be a sahm for years and others take 12 months but dont feel at all ready so extend it a little. Also you have no idea what the future holds.... Sick baby, injured partner, other major life catastrophe (sorry to be a downer) so it's really wise to keep your options open. Even if you have heaps of loyalty to your work, now is the time to think about what's best for your family and don't let your boss make you feel bad about it. Good luck with whatever you decide. X

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (18-07-2016),BH-KatiesMum  (18-07-2016),binnielici  (18-07-2016),JR03  (17-07-2016),Ruby_Tuesday15  (18-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You are still entitled to PPL if you resign. It would be unlikely that you would be paid your normal wage from your employer while on maternity leave unless you have an employment agreement in place that says they provide paid maternity leave.

I'm resigning from my job. I've been there over 10 years and love the people, but I know I will not be going back to work full time and my job could not be done part time. I'm in a manage my position and I guess I see it more from an employer point of view than employee, so I don't want to mess them around saying I'll be coming back to my position, knowing I won't. I travel an hour and a half each way to work every day, so if I want a part time job sooner than I thought, I will find something close to home.

If you're not sure on what you want, I'd suggest doing what RedCreamingSoda said, take the leave and reevaluate in 6 months, but I'd keep your boss up to date with whatever decisions you're making, once you've made them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you, I really appreciate the replies. It's so hard not having anyone else at work that I can discuss this with and the only person with answers about my questions is my boss who is rarely available. Our meeting was scheduled for Wed but has now been pushed back to Friday so I have a few days to prepare my thoughts. I like the idea of taking mat leave and if I decide that being a SAHM for a few years is what I want then I will reevaluate after a few months

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I would not resign.

If you go on mat leave, and decide later that you dont want to return - you can always still resign then.

You can also still apply to be paid out your Annual Leave that you are owed ... I certainly would be taking that along with your paid maternity leave from the government

Sit and have a chat, tell him that you want 12 months off - even if you set a date for your return - then re-assess with your partner exactly how you feel in 9 months time.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (19-07-2016)