Life from the fish bowl | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Life from the fish bowl

I think I've just been hit by bad PMT hormones at the same time as an extended period of near isolation. Last few weeks I've had no contact with anyone but my kids and Dp or random pleasantries with strangers in shops or occasionally bumping into school mums I don't really know. I feel like I'm living in a fish bowl. My world is so tiny and yet I can see that there is this big world out there outside of my reach. Before kids in my 20's I lived in a few different countries, did heaps of different jobs, heaps of house shares with all sorts of different people. Then I had kids and moved to Australia and suburbs. It's all been going downhill for me mentally. I don't really want to live here but stuck as kids are Aussie. I've got ideas on pulling myself out of this hole but it's hard to see them with this big black cloud of hormones hanging over me. I think I've always been prone to moods that take over. And pretty positive I've had pnd. But some of the outlets I had aren't available. I can't just spend time roaming the city, or mediate or do yoga for hours cus I'm always on duty as mum. Right now my 2 year old is asleep on me and my hand is really sore and this nap is so late I know she won't go to bed until 9.
    Breathe.
    1st world problems

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds very much like you are feeling stuck in a bit of a rut & are probably still suffering with a bit of PND. Either that or the struggle of adjusting to these little beings becoming our new way of life. Do you have anyone who could over the mum duties so you can go somewhere away from them, or to yoga or a gym or something for a couple of hours to see if that helps?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hear you op. I've been getting itchy feet lately. Is there any opportunity for a holiday in the near future?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't just dismiss it as PND (which implies that it's just a hormonal/neurochemical imbalance causing you to feel this way) - it really sounds like there are some big factors in your life making you miserable (like an unsupportive husband, lack of mental stimulation, etc…). Those would make anyone feel trapped and depressed.
    I don't know the solution, but I really feel for you. I know we don't have much in common (apart from the 2 year olds!) but your posts always resonate. You seem like a lovely person stuck in a sucky situation and I hope you can find a way to improve things one way or another

5. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (18-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a bad day I think feeling much better today. Things are good with dp. He's just absolutely useless at anything emotional. I've always known that. I get frustrated when I try and talk about something I'm struggling with - eg the isolation of being sahm in the suburbs with no family and all good friends working / out of the toddler zone etc - and he doesn't get it. Ms2 does a short day a cc -5/6 hours and this week I'm upping it to 2 short days so I can spend one catching up on house stuff and one for me to start planning what I'm going to study and exercise maybe meditate. Just allow myself that me time.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Freyamum For This Useful Post:

pointless1  (18-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    sounds like a really good plan to increase the childcare to 2 short days to give yourself some time

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pointless1 For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (18-07-2016)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi freyamum. sometimes the whole concept of "me time" gets enlarged way beyond what it needs to be. Even if you can just take 10 mins to sit down and read a book, or watch some nonsense on tv, that can be enough to recharge. I would go off on little mind walks while I was hanging out the clothes, or washing the dishes. It is just switching off and relaxing the mind. I wish I could help you. marie.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (18-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good on you freyamum! Maybe when you drop yr little on off, just keep going. Head to a cafe you have wanted to try, or a walk somewhere you have wanted to see, or a ferry ride, or a bookshop, or some random place you've never been. Just for some me time. It could be fun looking up new excursions!! Honestly, home stuff is endless and you can fill a day with it- make the most of your 'you' time. Clear your head. Breathe in and out when you can take some breathing space. Just an idea : )

13. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (19-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How are you doing @Freyamum?

My youngest has just turned four, and I could/can really relate. She has just gone off to childcare in preparation for kinder next year.

Just wanting to check in and see you were doing.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomia For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (06-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomia View Post
    How are you doing @Freyamum?

My youngest has just turned four, and I could/can really relate. She has just gone off to childcare in preparation for kinder next year.

Just wanting to check in and see you were doing.
    What are you doing / planning on doing? Things aren't better. Worse in most respects as barely on speaking terms with dp. Better this week in that inlaws here so I've at least had someone to talk to 😧