+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How do you get back into the workforce

I'm sure this has been discussed before but thought I would ask again. How did other stay at home mums get back into the workforce after an extended period at home? I've been a SAHM for 7.5 years (6 years via my resume as I was on paid maternity leave until July 2010). I have a great resume, lots of qualifications, willing to work anywhere but never even get to the interview stage. What can I do to help get me back into the workforce?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

preggasaurus  (17-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have you thought about volunteer work?

It shows your currently active and there is always a potential for further references too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have included the volunteer work that I have done at my daughters school's and I've just started volunteering for a domestic violence shelter, so I could add that too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing as I'm in the same boat. I can't even get an interview.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm hearing you @preggasaurus! It's so disheartening know that you can do the work but just can't get a job! I know I've been so lucky being at home for so long but I am really not enjoying it anymore and would just love a job.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you asked why you can't get to the interview stage? I'm guessing it's not the gap in your resume that's stopping you, but the resume itself. I know that sounds harsh, but it's not supposed to. You can pay people to help write your resume and application, which will probably help.
    I was a sahm for 7 years, then retrained in to a new field. I got help with my cover letter and resume, and did interview training workshops. I scored a job without any hassle...I really do think the professional help was well worth it. The gap in my resume was never an issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think getting back into the workforce is tough and it's great you are going for it. Some of my thoughts...
    - re-look at your resume and look up some resume writing docs on google. Do you have a personalised cover letter? Have you tailored a 'career objective' section to the role you are applying for?
    - how are you seeking a job? Are you dropping resumes in to places with kids in tow or is it online? I think whether in person or online it's all about presentation. Good cover letter with a headshot on it?
    -have you asked for feedback? Find out where the gap is an then address it. You may need a short refresher course, more volunteer work?
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing but also curious to know what line of work you are in / were?
    I'm 9 years out and pretty sure I won't be able to find work unless I retrain which I'm happy to do once I figure out in what!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I paid to have my resume done professionally, I don't think my resume is the issue. All the jobs I've applied for have been online. I have applied for so many and within the day I get rejection emails or never hear back from others.
    My previous job was management in the government, I'm thinking perhaps I need to aim higher for jobs again. At present I've just been applying for administration and customer service roles, I didn't want another management role just a basic job in general that gets me out of the house and earning some extra cash.

I'm thinking a refresher course may be a better option, something extra to add into my resume. I was completing my bachelors degree in education which I thought would fill in some of the blanks in my resume but have not helped.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

Full House  (17-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    @BabyG4 perhaps write in your cover letter that you previously worked in management but are now looking for a lower level role as you're looking to commence studies in early 2017 / have personal commitments outside of work / whatever your reason is. I recently received a resume from a candidate who was perfectly suited to our role, but she was about 5 years more senior than we needed. I worried that she was using our role as a stepping stone to get back into the industry after a gap of a few months. She explained that she did her stint in management and didn't enjoy the added responsibilities and expectation of long hours, so is actively seeking a job at this level. That made even more attractive to us!