+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Gymnastics Questions

How many hours per week does your gymnast train? Level? Age? Spread over how many days?

DD 8y just got put into level 2. She is a bit older but I held her back (I'm an ex-gymnast have a body of a 70 year old at 40😞😞). Her training has jumped from 4 to 7 hrs a week over 4 days. A total PITA schedule for us as a family.
    She does love it but has been unwell this year with Glandular Fever and recurrences so I took her out of swimming for this term only to find out they doubled gym training.
    I have a love hate relationship with the sport so find it hard to make unbiased opinions. It's also a highly competitive gym which I am not keen on eother.
    Anyway, others opinions are needed! Thanks 😊
    Addit...haven't told DH who will say a flat out NO!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

My daughter is 7. She was doing 3 hours a week which was ok. She's recently been bumped up to an 8 hour a week program and I said no way. I don't care how much she loves it 8 hours a week is in my opinion a ridiculous amount of time to spend on one sport. In contrast she has a 1 hour a week horse riding lesson and still is able to compete.

I think gymnastics asks way too much of young people and their parents. I get that it's a younger persons sport and they need to be trained early but let's face it she's not going to the Olympics so I don't see the point. She's doing it to build strength and balance and I love that it does that for her. It gives her confidence as well. I worry what 8 hours would do to her.

She's doing 1 hour a week this term. That's plenty.
    Last edited by Sonja; 17-07-2016 at 01:02.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (18-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My dd is 6 yo only on level 3 but just does one hour a week. I could let her do an extra lesson but she is just doing it for fun and to get confidence etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just pulled my kids out because of the hours they are wanting them to train. I do have other things to do...than just live for their training schedule. Ive just put them into a martial art.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm another who pulled them out because of the hours. It was to double from 3.5 hours to 7 hours. There was no way I could afford it/have time/place that much importance on it, as my kids only wanted to do it for fun. I enquired around for gymnastics places that just trained for fun, and got nothing. They all demanded similar hours. It's such a shame as they really enjoyed it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I'm lucky our gyms still offer recreational programs for kids (and parents) not interested in competing. It's relatively new and was a result of the number of kids leaving competitive programs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I'm lucky our gyms still offer recreational programs for kids (and parents) not interested in competing. It's relatively new and was a result of the number of kids leaving competitive programs.
    This is like where dd goes. If they want to do competitions they can but if its just for fun lessons are 1hr for one day a week or you can do two days

Thanks
    Reviews
    My (now) 9 yo did 2 years of 6 hours a week for level 1 and then 2. Then she quit competitive gym as she was bored and burnt out. This year she was doing a tumbling class instead at a different gym. She loves it and was only 1.5hrs a week so she had time for swimming, dancing and down time. HOWEVER, she's been watching the competitive acro group and now wants to go back to comp gym but trying out acro. So that'll be 8 hours a week!! I don't know why it has to be so many hours but she misses the competitions and she really really wants to learn how to do more advanced skills.
    That worries me that it has been so hard on your body. It's such a hard call. I feel it has been good for her self confidence to be really good at something but it's so intense and I do worry how good it is for her body in the long term.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When 2 of my girls did gymnastics, the younger one would do 2 lessons at 1 hours each and the eldest would do 1-2 lessons a week at 3 hours each. Sometimes I think that was easier, she went to dance where it was 12 hours a week.

Thanks
    Reviews

This probably isn't relevant but my DS (4.5) does gymnastics and loves it. It's only 1 hour a week. If he decided to take it more seriously we would encourage him but that does sound like a LOT of hours (4-7 a week..?!) Kids generally don't do that much sport do they?

ETA - DS also does 1.5 hours a week of soccer (training & competing).