+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My female cat started doing this when she was a few years old. She would pee in 'soft' places like the laundry basket of clean clothes. It wasn't stinky territory marking "spray" wee, just normal cat wee (which stinks, but spray is soooo much worse!).

I took her to the vet who explained it is super common and caused by supermarket foods. It causes a build up of urate crystals in their urinary tract so it hurts to pee. Hence wanting somewhere soft. I switched her onto the CD Science Diet. You can only get this one from vet clinics but it worked! I tried her off it once and the problem started again within a month.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes if she has some sort of UTI or similar then they can develop a pain association with the litter box and keep trying to find new places to go and try and escape the pain.
    Definitely worth a check. Female cats are more prone to UTIs as well.
    I agree with pp re: food also. Certain foods can encourage problems in prone kitties.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    I took her to the vet who explained it is super common and caused by supermarket foods. It causes a build up of urate crystals in their urinary tract so it hurts to pee. Hence wanting somewhere soft. I switched her onto the CD Science Diet. You can only get this one from vet clinics but it worked! I tried her off it once and the problem started again within a month.
    I replied in the other thread too, but this reminded me one of mine had similar problems. The new food fixed him up as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My male was doing this and I have at times caught the female too. At the time I didn't know about the uti association but the day he was clearly in pain and his wee was dark yellow (conveniently due date with dd2) we ended up with the full catheter and overnight stay then had to change to a special diet. There is one urinary tract health that you can get at pet shops that we use and it has reduced the issue but there are still some areas he is prone to go (bath mat, towels left on the ground).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the tip about diet, she's sort of had the same types of food all her life. DF works for a pet food company so we buy that brand for our cats and dogs. If I need to change it for her I will. I will ring the vet tomorrow and try to get an appointment this week before I go away. I don't want to take DS with me so I need it to work around DF roster and my mums lol
    I love her so much but I can't handle cleaning cat pee in a rental all the time! Our lounge still smells I'm going to put bicarb over night. Is that too long?
    I'm thinking I may buy feliway anyway. It won't hurt. Honestly my male cat can be a turd to her so it might help her anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We had a cat that peed everywhere it was a territory thing he was an ******* 😒 try bio attack (the washing liquid) it has something in it to stop cats going back etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    We had a cat that peed everywhere it was a territory thing he was an ******* try bio attack (the washing liquid) it has something in it to stop cats going back etc
    Would that be ok on the lounge? The smell is slightly there.

I'm going to buy feliway today. I do think our male cat plays a part with her. I just watched him, they are sitting near the window with the cat scratcher, male cat launches at her and she moves, he takes her spot. Like unnecessary! I'll ring the vet today but if I can't get her in this week at least when I get back from qld I have plenty of time then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhoff View Post
    Would that be ok on the lounge? The smell is slightly there.

I'm going to buy feliway today. I do think our male cat plays a part with her. I just watched him, they are sitting near the window with the cat scratcher, male cat launches at her and she moves, he takes her spot. Like unnecessary! I'll ring the vet today but if I can't get her in this week at least when I get back from qld I have plenty of time then.
    I use Bio Zet on our lounge if one of the kids/DH spills food or drink. It's just a laundry detergent that is enzyme based so gets rid of the urine smell. We used it at the vet hospital I worked at in the laundry.

Not sure what sort of lounge you have - maybe do a patch test first.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Whilst my cats have never (touch wood!) pee'd anywhere but in their litter box, I do have experience with UTI's and cats. My little man actually had a UTI this week and was completely blocked and unable to wee. Took him to the vets, and one catheterisation and $1,200 later he is feeling much better. The vet did give me a couple of ideas that may help you...

First up, with regards to their food.... My cats have had the same food for years. Supermarket stuff - decent brands - and always well received. HOWEVER, my vet did advise that these foods are not ideal, and may lead to UTI issues. It seems that whilst we got away with it, peeing outside their boxes is the first indicator that an infection/crystals are present. The premise is that when they pee in their boxes it hurts, so they don't want to go back. Our vet recommended a medicated cat food (Hill's was the brand) but my cats refused it. We switched to Royal Canin (also medicated for urinary tract support) and this has been accepted better.

The other thing that we were advised is that stress is conductive to UTI's. As it turns out our boy has always been anxious and jumpy, so we were not surprised it was him that got the UTI. We installed a Feliway diffuser and it has helped calm him immensely. Moving house is VERY stressful for cats, and also if you have more than one, even though they may 'appear' to get along there is always an underdog - and that is the one susceptible to UTI's.

If you are able to, I'd take your fur-baby to a vet ASAP. I know it's expensive but frankly the $1,200 a catheterisation can cost wasn't a walk in the park either, and if you get onto these things early you will be doing yourself a big favour! I'd be insisting on getting the Urinary Tract Support medicated feed - and feed it solely - no treats, no supermarket food - ever. My babies are fussy as, and a week later they are still only eating a quarter of their regular food amount - but when they get hungry enough they'll eat anything. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind! Also, do yourself a favour and grab a Feliway diffuser. They are MUCH cheaper if you Google them - don't buy from a vet. These things combined should make a massive difference to your problem in my humble opinion

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (17-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbleyhorse View Post
    I use Bio Zet on our lounge if one of the kids/DH spills food or drink. It's just a laundry detergent that is enzyme based so gets rid of the urine smell. We used it at the vet hospital I worked at in the laundry.

Not sure what sort of lounge you have - maybe do a patch test first.

Good luck!
    Thanks! Next time I'm at the shop I'll buy some and give it a go. It doesn't seem too bad now, I swear it's all I can smell but I'm so paranoid about it constantly that I think it's just me.

We have a dark grey fabric lounge, don't know if that helps lol